Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Go down 
+16
MetalGuy71
Thelemech
Sword Of The Heretic
Lovecraft
MetallicSeminarian
Runicen
mikeinfla
chewie
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
Required Fields
Addy
mlotek
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

. Empty
PostSubject: .   . Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Good stuff.

I don't own this album, but maybe I should?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Get "Awaken The Guardian" probably.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Alright. I just ordered both. The 2002 Metal Blade re-issue of Spectre Within. Cheap and with bonus tracks, cover looks a little different than what Painkiller posted.

. Fates_Warning_-_1985_-_The_Spectre_Within_(remaster)

The version of Awaken the Guardian I ordered is also a Metal Blade reissue (2005) and comes with a bonus demo disc and a live DVD.

I have not heard either album before, and the only Fates Warning I own is Parallels. I've owned it for about 15 years and I quite like it, but for some reason I never explored the band further.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Can't go wrong with Inside Out then, and Perfect Symmetry if you're not OCI. No Exit is fine also.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 11:30 pm

Yes, The Spectre Within is my favorite LP by them, and I also rank it as good as, or even higher than, any Iron Maiden albums with Bruce.
I bought it on cassette when I was in highschool and even though I had plenty of other albums, it must have stayed in my walkman player for many months, played it repeatedly all the time.

I think it was because of the over-the-top emotional singing, and not just the excellent musicianship and song writing.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm

My copy of the Spectre Within arrived today. I'll be giving it a couple of listens this weekend, and then I'll tell you what I think.
Back to top Go down

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 7:07 am

I happen to work at the same place John Arch does now. Ive been meaning to get a Fates Warning album so I can see if he'd sign it (one with him on vox obviously) He's a real nice dude
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 7:28 am

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 7:32 am

Ill try making no promises I know the guy but I dont see him too often
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Great album! I own the remaster of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 5:59 pm

I've had the Spectre Within for awhile now. Three weeks already? Really, wow! The reason I didn't post impressions was because I didn't expect it to be this proggy!

Parallels, the lone Warning CD that I do own, is more like Mindcrime in that it's more power/prog. This one is lacking speed and is a little all over the place. There's a lot of singing and a lot of strong overpowering singing against the melody. Something that's a bit hard to get into in one go, if you never listened to the band (in this form) before. I've generally tuned out prog metal for quite some time now because I find a lot of it pretentious and boring. So it was a bit hard to get into this one after I thought it'd be more 80's power metal, or even like Maiden, but I got past that after awhile. I quite enjoy it now, but maybe it's not really something that's up my alley. Orphan Gypsy, the Apparition, are both great songs. I think I'd still pick Jag Panzer's Ample Destruction before this one.

The good stuff is really good though, and I really should give this even more spins. I never got Awaken the Guardian - I was told it was sold out after I ordered it. So I picked it up from another dealer from Amazon, got it even cheaper this time. Yes, I'm still getting it. But I have to wait more for it now. It'll still be the 2005 2CD+DVD version. Anyone own this already?
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 3:40 am

Lari wrote:
I've had the Spectre Within for awhile now. Three weeks already? Really, wow! The reason I didn't post impressions was because I didn't expect it to be this proggy!

Parallels, the lone Warning CD that I do own, is more like Mindcrime in that it's more power/prog. This one is lacking speed and is a little all over the place. There's a lot of singing and a lot of strong overpowering singing against the melody. Something that's a bit hard to get into in one go, if you never listened to the band (in this form) before. I've generally tuned out prog metal for quite some time now because I find a lot of it pretentious and boring. So it was a bit hard to get into this one after I thought it'd be more 80's power metal, or even like Maiden, but I got past that after awhile. I quite enjoy it now, but maybe it's not really something that's up my alley. Orphan Gypsy, the Apparition, are both great songs. I think I'd still pick Jag Panzer's Ample Destruction before this one.

The good stuff is really good though, and I really should give this even more spins. I never got Awaken the Guardian - I was told it was sold out after I ordered it. So I picked it up from another dealer from Amazon, got it even cheaper this time. Yes, I'm still getting it. But I have to wait more for it now. It'll still be the 2005 2CD+DVD version. Anyone own this already?

I have the 3 disc version. Nice to have if you scored it for cheap, or if you're a fanboy like me. The live dvd has a terible quality, so its more of a collector's thing. A demo/live cd is a fine selection of ATG/TSW songs and a cool cover of die young. Again, not a must have, but a fine listen. Personally, I feel that Alder era deluxe editions are worth it, this one is only if you're a diehard.
Back to top Go down

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 3:03 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Lari wrote:

I have the 3 disc version. Nice to have if you scored it for cheap, or if you're a fanboy like me. The live dvd has a terible quality, so its more of a collector's thing. A demo/live cd is a fine selection of ATG/TSW songs and a cool cover of die young. Again, not a must have, but a fine listen. Personally, I feel that Alder era deluxe editions are worth it, this one is only if you're a diehard.
I received Awaken the Guardian today. Looks like a real good package, but I guess I don't know until I give all the discs a spin. Maybe it'll sink in faster now that I already got a taste of 80's FW?

I guess since I have Parallels already, Perfect Symmetry would be the next one to get? I see the 2CD+DVD version is available for just over $10 new in German Amazon. But I think I'll first take my time with what I have.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 4:24 pm

I just scooped up Awaken the Guardian for .50 woo! Of course, it's CD only, but at least in good condition.

Unfortunately, I spun it and felt the same way I did with No Exit. I'm sorry, everyone, but this band just bores the hell out of me. And my top subgenre is USPM.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 4:55 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'm sorry, everyone, but this band just bores the hell out of me. And my top subgenre is USPM.

I'm the same way with Fates Warning. They're good at what they do 'n' all but they've never really grabbed me by the nards.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
I'm sorry, everyone, but this band just bores the hell out of me. And my top subgenre is USPM.

I'm the same way with Fates Warning. They're good at what they do 'n' all but they've never really grabbed me by the nards.

Well we're definitely in the minority around here haha.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 5:22 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Well we're definitely in the minority around here haha.

(shrugs) Well, shoot, we can't like everything. Haha.

I actually like FW's contributions to Century Media's Judas Priest and Dio tributes ("Saints in Hell" and "Sign of the Southern Cross," respectively) better than anything I've heard of their "real" stuff.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I'm in that boat too. I have their Chasing Time comp and feel that's just about all I need from them.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 1:04 am

I really dig the later, proggier stuff from Pleasant Shade of Gray(1997) onward. I just love the dark mood and feel on those albums.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 6:29 am

Whats with the "."?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 6:52 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Whats with the "."?

Our friend Painkiller quit the forum, but before he left he deleted everything he posted.
The forum won't let you save a "blank" message though, so he typed a period in each one.
...I guess he really showed us, huh? Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 7:54 am

Lari wrote:

I guess since I have Parallels already, Perfect Symmetry would be the next one to get? I see the 2CD+DVD version is available for just over $10 new in German Amazon. But I think I'll first take my time with what I have.

Either Perfect Symmetry or Inside Out, the latter being the natural follow up to Parallels's atmosphere, with its own character to offer, and Perfect Symmetry sharing ideas later developed on Paralles with those rooted in a more metallic, or ballsy, if you want, territory.
I feel like ATG is even more "overdone" than The Spectre, so it might take more time to get into that one. I enjoy it in a weird kind of way. Well worth for the cover art alone though Very Happy

As for USPM, personally, I think FW shines with their progressive. Of all traditional prog bands, after FW I can't listen to anyone else. DT, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation and all the others - meh, boring and dragging for way to long music, with little to no life inside. And when in the mood for proggy USPM, there are always Lethal and Titan Force to win any comparison to any other possible band in existence. Simply unmatched, no matter what ATG worshippers may say Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

. Empty
PostSubject: Re: .   . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: The Hurting Words-
Jump to: