Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead

Go down 
+17
kmorg
powermacho
corplhicks
Gilbert
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
Olafsto
MoonChild
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
Smindas
mc666
stormspell
Fat Freddy
Dark Horseman
tul
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 5:09 pm

kmorg wrote:
This is a great album, and their best in a decade or so.
an april fools joke? the lyrics from this album suck.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 1:24 am

powermacho wrote:
kmorg wrote:
This is a great album, and their best in a decade or so.
an april fools joke? the lyrics from this album suck.

Dude, metal lyrics suck no matter what; I'm an admirer of Bob Dylan and Neil Young and am the only one on this board that thinks Dio, God bless 'm, was a hack writer. Doesn't matter. I love heavy metal, and in my mind the poeticism is merely an ornament of the building, not the foundation itself.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 5:15 am

If I thought albums sucked because of the lyrics I'd have do stop listening to metal alltogether. DIO anyone?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:00 am

Yeah, lyrics play a miniscule part in my enjoyment of music, metal or otherwise. If I want poignant lyrics/prose, I'll start reading poetry.

Last edited by 007 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:38 am

I guess I'll stop putting any effort into mine.......  Razz ...... wow..
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 12:12 pm

It's hit and miss but some lyrics mean something.
OCI, not only do the songs rock but the lyrics have something to say. Aria of the Waters for one is lyrically amazing.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:32 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I guess I'll stop putting any effort into mine.......   Razz ...... wow..

Actually, your stuff seems a cut above, but to be honest I haven't really been paying attention to the lyrics. I think it's just how my ear is trained with anything metal. I have been cranking Outsiders for the neighbors though!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Continuing on my first impressions from a week ago:

Time for Deliverance I didn't like at first. "A ballad?! Blah". But after a few listens I think it's quality. A classic Gamma Ray ballad in the original Land of the Free vein. Again, I'm starting to know this band a little too well because I just knew it was a Dirk Schlachter song from the first verse. It is a predictable track, but not bad at all, even enjoyable, eventhough I'm not the power ballad type myself.

Demonseed is a little strange. Slow and epic. Pounding riff and drumming. Maybe goes on for a little too long. Still a cool track. It has its place here.

Seven. Whoa, wait, is this Master of Confusion all over again!? Very similar main melody. Great song though. Superb hooks, vintage Kai Hansen. Even if it's very predictable and you always know what's coming next. "Devil eyes and seven snakes... dum de dum dum dum dum dum"

I Will Return - Arnold the Governator kicks off the album closer with "I'll be back". This is a Henjo song, clear as a day. Riffing and great guitar stuff happening everywhere and all around. A great heavy metal romp. Nice instrumental break after around 3:30 in the song that just takes off. One of the better songs on the album.

The bonus track I didn't even play yet.

I think it's one of their best albums. A solid and worthy collection of songs. Especially the opener Avalon pushes it over the top for me. Good solos too, I forgot to mention. Best Gamma Ray in the last little while.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 8:20 pm

I am excited to get this! I thought the EP was a return to form after some lackluster recent albums.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm

I just bought this album tonight, popped it in the "deck" on the way home. Got about halfway through, and I think it's excellent.

However, I've yet to pick up the Master of Confusion EP. That title track is on this album, and...what the fook?

It's "I Want Out!" Seriously. No one pulled Kai aside and mentioned it to him?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Kai has to get it out of his system every once in a while.. ("Heaven or Hell", "Send Me A Sign", etc..)..  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:

However, I've yet to pick up the Master of Confusion EP. That title track is on this album, and...what the fook?

Wait until you hear "Seven"...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 7:32 pm

After the first couple of spins I am impressed. I didnt think they had this in them anymore.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 9:24 pm

Lari wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Wait until you hear "Seven"...

Seven is definitely similar, as are some older songs, but "Master of Confusion" is pretty much the same song outside of a different chorus.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 1:02 pm

I've become a gamma ray maniac lately. I got powerplant yesterday and now own the band's entire catalogue.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Gilbert wrote:
I've become a gamma ray maniac lately. I got powerplant yesterday and now own the band's entire catalogue.
Razorblade Sigh is a great underrated track off of Power Plant.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 6:48 am

Lari wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Razorblade Sigh is a great underrated track off of Power Plant.

I agree. It smokes.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 5:49 pm

so i was looking for the bonus material from Empire and came across:

huh???

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 6:09 pm

That's a.....bizarre track, to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 7:50 pm

I really didn't hate that. Kinda had bits of Queen, bits of Republica and some unspecified weird.

End of the day it's a bonus for Japanese people, who can never be accused of having overly conventional tastes!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 12:09 pm

I don´t know exactly why, but I can´t get into Gamma Ray. their music is too over produced to my ears. I like Power Metal, even some "Flower Metal" like Stratovarius and Edguy and Shaaman , but Gamma Ray sometimes sounds like Disney sound track to me because of all of these (cheesy as hell) over produced choirs on their music. I CAN´T STAND it.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 8:57 pm

exact33 wrote:
so i was looking for the bonus material from Empire and came across:

huh???

I believe that Kai wrote that with his son but I'm not 100% sure this is the song he was talking about. It was in an interview somewhere on youtube. They just did it for fun.

PostSubject: Re: Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead   Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gamma Ray - Hell Bent for Metal from Empire of the Undead
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2