Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ron Keel Metal Cowboy

Go down 
+13
MetalGuy71
mikeinfla
Dark Horseman
candlemass
glassprison
jettafiend
ZombieHavoc
manny
Vexer6
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
brokentulsa
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Empty
PostSubject: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 2:37 pm

What does everyone thing about this album?

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 am

Hmmmm, it was ok until he started singing. I like Keel, I like Southern Rock, but I'm not sure what the he is trying to do here. Sounds a bit like some of Kid Rock's stuff, trying to mix modern pop/country and hard rock. It's ok I guess.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 12:09 pm

I like Keel's first couple of records but haven't paid much attention to what Ron's been doing since they split up the first time.

I'm not a Southern Rock guy so this does nothin' for me. Better luck next time Ronnie Lee. Wink

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Ronnie's country career didn't do much for me. Though I did like his short-lived group Fair Game, which was composed of all-female musicians and pretty good ones at that:

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 2:14 pm

The less said the better
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 3:16 pm

This is something I'd never bother with. It's ok for what it is, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
 Though I did like his short-lived group Fair Game, which was composed of all-female musicians and pretty HOT ones at that:

Fixed that for ya. Very Happy

Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Fairgame

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 4:07 pm

I like Metal Cowboy. I definitely still hear a nice melodic rock vibe in it.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 11:33 pm

I like it quite a bit. Real Bluesy vibe.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 am

I think these songs would probably work well in a live setting in a small venue. Not an album I anticipate listening to often, though.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Dreadful, glad this clown never made it in Sabbath!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 am

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:48 am

Now that is from the heart. Ron always feels contrived with what he does, imho, though I like some Keel.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 5:58 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
1/2/2018

EMP LABEL GROUP has announced the formation of EMP OUTLAW, a Southern Rock/Outlaw Country Imprint, set to reissue METAL COWBOY, the 2014 independent release from legendary Steeler/Keel vocalist Ron Keel, in stores 2/16/18. 2018 will also see the studio debut from Ron Keel Band, the highly anticipated follow up to METAL COWBOY, entitled FIGHT LIKE A BAND.

After a storied career that began as lead vocalist for Steeler, which would also go on to include guitar virtuoso Yngwie Malmsteen, and selling millions of records under his eponymous KEEL with classic albums THE RIGHT TO ROCK and THE FINAL FRONTIER (both produced by KISS' Gene Simmons), Keel veered off into brave new territory with the decidedly Southern Rock/Outlaw Country feel of METAL COWBOY.

METAL COWBOY RELOADED features remixed and remastered versions of the tracks from the original independent release, including fan favorites "Just Like Tennessee" and "What Would Skynyrd Do?" plus the bonus track "Rock N Roll Hell" which features Troy Lucketta (Tesla) on drums and Jeff Labar/Eric Brittingham from Cinderella on guitar and bass.

Originally released in 2014, METAL COWBOY was a bold new direction for Keel, pulling strongly from the playbook of Country and Southern Rock, while maintaining the powerful Rock edge and unmistakable powerhouse vocals Keel is known for. While Keel had some success in Country and Southern Rock after the dissolution of KEEL (who reunited in 2008), METAL COWBOY definitively established Keel's musical identity, although its genesis had far deeper roots.

"We (KEEL) recorded a version of 'Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw' for Penelope Spheeris for the DUDES Movie Soundtrack that also features Megadeth, W.A.S.P., Steve Vai, and Jane's Addiction. It ended up being a great cult film and I'd love it even if I wasn't in it. That really was the genesis of the Metal Cowboy – 'Outlaw' became my signature song, and ended up featured in the movie twice!"

After releasing METAL COWBOY and relocating to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Keel would go on to form RON KEEL BAND, with a new powerhouse band featuring the best players the Midwest has to offer. While sticking to the earthy Southern charms of METAL COWBOY, RKB showcases a new, rich musical fabric for Keel and his bandmates.

Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Metal_Cowboy_2018_Cover

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 am

Mmmm...nah, that's OK, Ron. No thanks.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:13 am

I look forward to ignoring this like I did the first time around.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:17 am

Storied career?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 am

I have been a Keel fan since hearing Final Frontier in '86. I listen to his Keel band (and Steeler S/T) albums (and boots) on regular rotation and I play the Fair Game stuff on you tube from time to time, but I just have no interest in him trying to be a rock and roll version of Kenny Chesney. I would get this as a collection filler if the price is right. I don't think it's awful, but I just know it would get bought, ripped to my computer and given the one obligatory listen and that is all.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:33 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Storied career?

Yea. I cringed a bit too. It's been a long career, but outside of us no one really knows who he is.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:34 am

I'll pass
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 am

the sentinel wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
Storied career?

Yea. I cringed a bit too. It's been a long career, but outside of us no one really knows who he is.

But...but he sold "millions" of KEEL records!

Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 1:30 pm

I remember back in the 80`s when everyone made fun of Ron Keel. For some reason he got no respect in magazines and among many metal fans.
Maybe they were right....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 3:39 pm

I remember someone asked me who my favorite singer was. I said KEEL. Those early releases were outrageous. His book was bland. I had hoped for better memories...not walking on egg shells type of writing. I recently thought of how the lead singer/guitarist for The Almighty , I think he went country rock, incredibly enough. I do have a taste for Blackfoot and Molly Hatchet and The Outlaws “ soldier of fortune “ cd , 38 special, Skynyrd....but I’m metal through and through....be it as it may, I’d love to play that cd by him on a summers afternoon, around 4pm or so...in a pick up truck ...on Martha’s Vineyard.....he’s a talent. I remember a video I saw of him at a KISS convention singing Hard Luck Woman ...I’m a fan of his for 3 decades now !

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 3:57 pm

I was really into Keel's Right to Rock album back in the day... but as time went on, my personal tastes got heavier and each Keel album got progressively cheesier, so we parted ways.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
Storied career?

But...but he sold "millions" of KEEL records!

I guess there are no "fact checkers" at that record label. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ron Keel Metal Cowboy   Ron Keel  Metal Cowboy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ron Keel Metal Cowboy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next