Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD

Go down 
+3
stepcousin
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Empty
PostSubject: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 2:55 am

Tough week here, so I bought myself an expensive gift (birthday coming up in 2 weeks). Kerry Livgren's "Seeds of Change" album from 1980. I'm not a huge Kansas fan, but this is an All star band that is most famous for featuring Ronnie James Dio on a couple of tracks. Anybody remember this one?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 8:29 am

Yes. I have that one as well.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 10:33 am

me too. I have almost all of KL's music. I like everything he does.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 10:54 am

I have a mint copy of "Time Line" on vinyl if anyone is interested.

ult

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 7:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I have a mint copy of "Time Line" on vinyl if anyone is interested.

ult

I have a mint copy on vinyl. I want it on CD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 10:56 pm

Why are all his albums listed under Gospel?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 7:21 pm

It has a gospel theme. This album sounds a bit Kansas of course...but it also reminds me at times of a John Wetton vehicle (UK or Asia) at times. Proggy. I haven't heard any of his other stuff. I'm told it's not as good.
Oddly, the two Dio songs remind me a little of JLT era Rainbow!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2007 10:44 pm

I have the one w/the interview w/Kerry at the end, great LP!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 2:57 am

There are other solo projects from various FM radio tycoons; although not Christian (unless you count John Schlitt of Head East's work with Petra)...here are a few in case your interested...

Schon & Hammer- I like it of course because it harkens back to Mk I Journey, before the evil Steve Perry ruined the band. Kinda uneven, but good stuff. Cool album cover (Schon & Hammer baking soda box). As I've said before, the original Journey was kinda like Yesterday & Today (early Y&T) crossed with proggy Manfred Mann or something.

James Young & Jan Hammer- City Slicker. Awful. Nothing like the Schon Hammer. I would guess J.Y. was drunk in the studio pretending (badly) to be Ted Nugent. Hammer phoned in a few faint keyboard licks just so J.Y. could put his name on the album. Terrible.

Orion the Hunter- A Boston spin off. Straight pomp rock, not as poppy as Boston. Pretty good.

RTZ- Another Boston project. Poppy AOR. A couple of catchy songs but forgetable.

Shadow King- Despite the name and the presence of Vivian Campbell (Dio, etc.) on guitar, not very heavy. Very good though, the best album Foreigner never made. Better than solo efforts from Lou Gramm, Mick Jones, etc.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:44 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
There are other solo projects from various FM radio tycoons; although not Christian (unless you count John Schlitt of Head East's work with Petra)...here are a few in case your interested...

Schon & Hammer- I like it of course because it harkens back to Mk I Journey, before the evil Steve Perry ruined the band. Kinda uneven, but good stuff. Cool album cover (Schon & Hammer baking soda box). As I've said before, the original Journey was kinda like Yesterday & Today (early Y&T) crossed with proggy Manfred Mann or something.

James Young & Jan Hammer- City Slicker. Awful. Nothing like the Schon Hammer. I would guess J.Y. was drunk in the studio pretending (badly) to be Ted Nugent. Hammer phoned in a few faint keyboard licks just so J.Y. could put his name on the album. Terrible.

Orion the Hunter- A Boston spin off. Straight pomp rock, not as poppy as Boston. Pretty good.

RTZ- Another Boston project. Poppy AOR. A couple of catchy songs but forgetable.

Shadow King- Despite the name and the presence of Vivian Campbell (Dio, etc.) on guitar, not very heavy. Very good though, the best album Foreigner never made. Better than solo efforts from Lou Gramm, Mick Jones, etc.

Don't forget Mark Farner (Grand Funk). Some of his solo work is quite good and he is a Christian.

Also, Shaw Blades, 1/2 of the Damn Yankees, and former members of Styx and Night Ranger. Jack Blades also has a couple solo albums out.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 9:17 am

I have ORION THE HUNTER on vinly and like it. Dont have the KERRY LIVGREN cd but i do have some KANSAS cd´s. My fave will be always AUDIO VISIONS from 1980.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 7:40 pm

My favorite Kansas will always be Masque It's pretty heavy, and the song "Mark of Cain" is kinda evil and scary actually. "Iccarus" is a pure Kansas masrepiece that didn't get worn out too bad by the radio. And "Child of Innocence" is a flat out rocker, almost metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 7:47 pm

A little off topic, but I highly recommend Steve Walsh's solo albums. They're pretty damn heavy!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:54 am

Yes, I was gonna bring that up. I've been told that. Any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Don't forget the Kansas reunion album Somewhere to Elsewhere. Oustanding return to form.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 4:16 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Yes, I was gonna bring that up. I've been told that. Any recommendations?
You talking about Steve Walsh? He's only got three out, I'd recommend all three. I started with Shadowman. There are samples here:

http://www.nehrecords.com/shop/WalshShadowman.htm
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 2:22 am

I decided to Start the Steve Walsh with Streets (1st). He uses Mike Slamer from City Boy (whom I like). Plus I never met a pomprock album of that vintage with a cartoon cover that I didn't like (with the exception of J.Y. above).
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 9:07 am

Quote :
You talking about Steve Walsh? He's only got three out, I'd recommend all three. I started with Shadowman.

Exceptional cd very prog orientated!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD   Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kerry Livgren classic w/RJD
Page 1 of 1