Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)

Go down 
+3
ultmetal
chewie
Eyesore
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Empty
PostSubject: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 4:01 am

Well, this is very unexpected but awesome.

I logged onto the Laser's Edge site tonight and saw a new Proto-Kaw album called Forth listed. I assumed it was some b-sides collection or something, but no, it's a new studio album!

As many of you know, Kerry Livgren suffered a major stroke a few years ago. Though he survived, it didn't look like he'd ever play music again. But apparently he's recovered quite a bit and is now playing and writing music again. That's pretty cool.

Proto-Kaw rule, by the way. Prog-rock at its finest! Can't wait till this album arrives.

headbanger

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 am

I've been waiting for this album! I guess I haven't been getting the updates on Facebook about it. The last I heard Kerry was still mixing a couple of songs.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:31 am

Wow! This sounds REALLY good!!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:37 am

Yeah, it does, huh? Can't wait to get it. I'm still amazed that Livgren recovered.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:42 am

Wow! Sounds good. Thanks for posting that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 11:56 am

For those who don't know, here's a little history of Proto-Kaw:

Quote :
In the early '70s, the band Kansas went through three incarnations, the common member in all three being composer and guitarist Kerry Livgren. The sound of the band changed along with the group members. Proto-Kaw is a modern name given to the second version of Kansas, whose arrangements prominently featured guitar, keyboards, and saxophone (an instrument not found in the following line-up.) The famous Kansas was actually the third edition of the band, and before a name change it was the third incarnation of Topeka band White Clover.[1]

Formed in 1971 and disbanding in 1973, "Kansas II" played mostly original material written by Livgren. After Kansas II broke up, the group went their separate ways with Livgren reaching fame with the more-popular Kansas and the others assuming normal lives. Then in 2002, the band's demos saw release as Early Recordings from Kansas 1971-1973, which gave the band the new moniker Proto-Kaw. Most members had not had any contact with each other for the intervening 30 years and many did not play music during this time. However, when they came together to celebrate the album's release, they rediscovered their old chemistry. Proto-Kaw reformed and at last got to record its first proper album, "Before Became After" (2004).

The band released their second new CD in February, 2006, titled The Wait of Glory which features 12 new original songs from writer Kerry Livgren. Coinciding with the album release the band embarked on a European tour, bringing them to four countries in seven days.
Definitely a band to check out if you dig that early, more proggy Kansas stuff.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm

I only have the second Proto-Kaw but it is quite a good prog rock album. I kind of lost track of them as well as several other bands.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Before he released the first album, the songs were available as free downloads from his website(I still have this disc). There were other live tunes as well, but he took it all down when it was officially released.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 7:39 pm

chewie wrote:
Before he released the first album, the songs were available as free downloads from his website(I still have this disc). There were other live tunes as well, but he took it all down when it was officially released.
Which album? The first...Proto-Kaw?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 7:42 pm

some really good prog stuff coming out - haken, Leprous and this.

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
chewie wrote:

Yeah, this one, Early Recordings from Kansas 1971-1973(2002). There was waaaay more live stuff on the website and all those tunes were there on that old page as well.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 8:05 pm

chewie wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
chewie wrote:

Yeah, this one, Early Recordings from Kansas 1971-1973(2002). There was waaaay more live stuff on the website and all those tunes were there on that old page as well.
Ah, bummer. I got that album first, but I think they'd already had three out at that point, at least two, so I likely missed it.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 10:58 am

This sounds great and I'm glad Kerry seems to be recovering. I've missed out on the Proto-Kaw stuff, but Kansas is a nostalgic favorite for me and I have several of Kerry's AD recordings too.

...and the want list continues to grow...
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Awesome I love the Proto-Kaw stuff very modern prog rock at it's finest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)   Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Proto-Kaw (Kerry Livgren)
Page 1 of 1