Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"

Go down 
+17
journeyman
80s Metal Lady
Lari
mc666
manny
Temple of Blood
jstate
Witchfinder
Gilbert
BearOnUnicycle
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
nevermore
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
candlemass
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Which One?
Lock Up the Wolves
Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 4 ]
Strange Highways
Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 6 ]
Angry Machines
Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Magica
Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 3 ]
Killing the Dragon
Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_lcap37%Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 37% [ 11 ]
Master of the Moon
Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 am

I totally agree with Lari.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 9:38 pm

I like Master of the Moon. I didn't like it when I first got the CD near the time it came out, but it really grew on me.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 09, 2014 10:03 pm

He is the Master of the Moon, and the man who would be king!  TheKing Dio 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 am

Killing the dragon followed by Magica. I like them all. Killing the dragon had some fire that pushed it to the top of the list for me. I didn't get the albums when they were released and only recently back filled the catalog. My last real time Dio release was Dream Evil.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 8:49 am

I chose 'Strange Highways'....such a thick, heavy record...almost a nod to his Sabbath days. 'Angry Machines' is also strong.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 9:01 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I chose 'Strange Highways'....such a thick, heavy record...almost a nod to his Sabbath days. 'Angry Machines' is also strong.

It's funny, I heard nothing but bad things about Angry Machines so I avoided it until it was the last one I needed. I got it free at the used shop (buy 3 get 1 free) figuring I wasn't losing anything getting it that way. Turns out it was much better than expected. Maybe because my expectations were so low, but I enjoy it regardless.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 9:28 am

007 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

It's funny, I heard nothing but bad things about Angry Machines so I avoided it until it was the last one I needed. I got it free at the used shop (buy 3 get 1 free) figuring I wasn't losing anything getting it that way. Turns out it was much better than expected. Maybe because my expectations were so low, but I enjoy it regardless.

Yeah, it's a really good album...got a bad rap back in the day, but I always enjoyed it. Those 2 (AM and SH) w/ Tracy G were his darkest, heaviest, most Sabbath-like albums, IMO...I liked them both...especially SH.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 9:48 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
"Strange Highways" is his best solo album.

I agree, I think that this album is better than Holy Diver and Last in Line.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 10:53 am

Angry Machines is my fave Dio.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 11:31 am

You people are all doped up!  \'arry \'eadbanger 
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 4:38 pm

I went with Lock Up the Wolves...but I don't really see that as being separate from his 80s stuff, other than by being released one year too late to be in the 80s. It's got the same feel to me.

I dig SW and AM. I couldn't get into Ktd or Magicia when they came out. Never listened to Master.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 5:44 pm

I saw Dio on the Angry Machines tour. He was great as always, but Tracy G made no attempt to play Viv's or Goldy's solos. His style just didn't fit the older material at all.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I saw Dio on the Angry Machines tour.  He was great as always, but Tracy G made no attempt to play Viv's or Goldy's solos.  His style just didn't fit the older material at all.  

See, that would be my preference, I wouldn't want to hear someone else copy solos, I'd rather they did their own thing. Very similar to Steve Morse in Deep Purple who will occasionally quote little Blackmore licks but mainly just re-wrote his own solos for that material.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 10:17 pm

I didn't like "Angry Machines" when I first heard it but spun it not long ago and couldn't figure out why I didn't like it. I guess it wasn't what I wanted to hear at the time.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 pm

I used to have Strange Highways on CD. Never could get into it as a whole, but "Bring Down The Rain" is excellent. It is worth it to own for a while just for that song and the powerful "Give Her The Gun."

Last edited by 80s Metal Lady on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 10:56 pm

While love can be a whisper...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 pm

I'd rather a new take as a whole if a lead player just isn't a similar enough personality to be very faithful to the recording. It's nice sometimes if it can be pulled off, but when you try too hard you try too hard and it really shows live. The best case is when a new player can still pull something new out of a song.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 8:34 am

"Cat Scratch Challis!"

Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 pm

"Back in Black for the End of the World!"
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I didn't like "Angry Machines" when I first heard it but spun it not long ago and couldn't figure out why I didn't like it.  I guess it wasn't what I wanted to hear at the time.

Funny enough, I had the same reaction as you did. I did not care for it a first then, gave it fresh spin months and months later, and know I love the album
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"   Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Dio LP After "Dream Evil"
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2