Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure

Go down 
+16
James B.
MetallicSeminarian
mc666
exact33
QuothTheRaven
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
journeyman
Addy
kmorg
corplhicks
Eyesore
Lari
Orion Crystal Ice
Chairman_Smith
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Empty
PostSubject: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 3:16 pm

So for the last few weeks I've been in the process of ripping all of my CD collection to my tower. So I don't have to ever do this again I'll probably host everything on cloud storage from now on. I just got to "K" and so far my music folder is about 36 GB.

Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure 20131126_141356_zpse5dbf381
My shelf area, missing the ones I'm currently in the process of ripping. All of them are organized by alphabetical order.

So I thought it'd be fun to try and listen to every single one in order. I made this thread because I thought you guys might appreciate following along.

So right now i'm jamming to some AC/DC, once I finish going through what I own by them i'll post some thoughts on each album.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 5:03 pm

This is ambitious.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 6:01 pm

You'll never make it.

I remember I once thought it would be a cool idea to listen to all my CDs in alphabetical order. I gave up after 15 or 16. It's just not fun anymore when you "have to" listen to something. I'd rather just pop in something I'm more in the mood for.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 1:57 am

Lari wrote:
You'll never make it.

I remember I once thought it would be a cool idea to listen to all my CDs in alphabetical order. I gave up after 15 or 16. It's just not fun anymore when you "have to" listen to something. I'd rather just pop in something I'm more in the mood for.
Yeah, I've already broken it after two lol! 

I'm still going to make an attempt to work them all in order; into my playlist.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 2:05 am

Only 36GB? Mine is currently at 563GB. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 2:18 am

Eyesore wrote:
36 at the letter K. But yeah, no way anyone here is going to have that much haha. I have 25. And that's A-Z. Sad

I used to have over a TB of music--but it was all pirated. Don't worry, I saw the light and flushed everything. I walk the line now.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 2:30 am

I have a lot of stuff that I downloaded on my drive. I rarely download new albums, though; I just go for the old stuff, like Crystal Knight or Merzy, you know.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 5:24 am

Rob from Ultimatum used to listen through his collection alphabetically anually, starting in January. I think he did it for 3 years.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 6:23 am

Eyesore wrote:
No idea how big my collection would be if i ripped all my albums to the computer. I have a mp3 collection already thats about 50gigs and i havent even started ripping my collection yet lol
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 8:26 am

Mine is at 186GB. I just recently had to re-burn all my CD's due to a hard drive failure. Good luck listening to all of the albums from A-Z. I couldn't do it.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 am

I have about 80gb, but have a ton of stuff that is not ripped yet.

And when I was a kid I would sometimes do the whole listen to the whole collection in alphabetical order thing, as I liked to work in stuff I didn't listen to much. But I had waaaaaay less. I'm talking like 30 or 40 cassettes, when I was around 12 or 13. So it was very doable.

But when it got to the point that I would own 20+ albums from one artist, it got a little boring to do that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 11:43 am

I've often thought about listening to my collection "in order" but have never actually started on it.

I have been known to occasionally pull out the entire discography of a certain band and listen to that front to back, though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have been known to occasionally pull out the entire discography of a certain band and listen to that front to back, though.
I definitely do that sometimes. Although, I usually do it on my iPod, and just listen to them as they are in order there, which is alphabetical.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 5:23 pm

I do whole discographies, but I skip a lot of tracks. I play like half the songs, and mostly the songs I don't know by heart.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 6:27 pm

I've never gone through my whole collection A-Z, but I have listened to a single album from each letter A-Z. Did it a couple of times actually, once A-Z and once Z-A.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 6:34 pm

I think last week I picked up all my Within Temptation CDs and played 2-3 tracks per disc. It was interesting.

Something like a "best of" compilation, only not, because I mostly played deep album tracks.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 6:39 pm

I've listened to discographies chronologically before. on iTunes and in my iPod I put the year in front of each album so it's sorted in order.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 6:42 pm

I tried this once but got tired of it after a couple days, I hit a section of the alphabet that I wasn't in the mood to hear and I just went back to grabbing whatever I wanted to listen to at that moment.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 pm

I am on the D's for ripping. I have a long way to go.

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 9:51 pm

When it comes to actual ripping of CDs I've done that twice. I did it first in .mp3 format and then decided to wise up and go lossless so I did it all over again.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 10:31 pm

If I listened to my iTunes library in order, 24/7, it would take me 384.7 days. lol! 
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 11:22 pm

I listen to music based on my mood. No way could I do it alphabetically. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 pm

mc666 wrote:
I listen to music based on my mood. No way could I do it alphabetically. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.
+1. It would feel like a chore.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 12:48 pm

I've listened to my collection a few times alphabetically. Never had a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitimeFri Nov 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Either way too busy or way too lazy to do the ABC thang

PostSubject: Re: Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure   Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ripping my Collection/Listening Adventure
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next