Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?

Go down 
+9
Troublezone
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
chewie
ultmetal
journeyman
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Empty
PostSubject: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 3:55 pm

So I discovered guitarist Bernie Torme today, and I don't know how I never knew of his existence. I came across his name when looking into what some of the guys from the 70s punk band London did after. London singer Riff Reagan apparently co-wrote a song that Torme recorded for a comp in the 80s called Metal Killers (which contains pretty much a bunch of standard bands I had heard of, plus Torme).

So digging in a little, I see Torme is most well known for playing on Ian Gillian's 4 albums from 79 to 81. But the reason I'm surprised I've never heard of him is that he first released punk records in the late 70s as the Bernie Torme band. I'm pretty well versed in that sub-genre, but obviously I come across stuff all the time I never heard of.

But combine that with the fact that he did 2 albums, under the name Torme, with Phil Lewis on vocals (between Girl's last album and LA Guns first album)...well, what the hell? I am also pretty well versed in 80s glammy rock n' roll. I figure between those two genres, I should've come across him at some point. Looks like in 93 he also recorded a Torme album with ex-Samson vocalist Gary Owen.

As much as the internet has changed things, often times for the worst, it can be cool to just come across these records that have somehow gone under your radar forever.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Bernie Torme also played on Bloodied But Unbowed, the ill fated debut release by Dee Snider's post-Twisted Sister band, Desperado.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Bernie Torme also played on Dee Snider's ill-fated Desperado release, Bloodied But Unbowed.
I read that too. Looks like he has a pretty sizable list of album/band credits in general.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 pm

He also was Ozzy's guitarist right after Randy and before Brad.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Great guitarist. Loved him with GILLAN!

People often mix up Ian Gillan Band and Gillan. Ian Gillan Band was Ian's solo project after Deep Purple. Gillan was not a "solo project" but was a band formed with bassist/songwriter John McCoy in July '78. The band stayed together through December of '82, after which time, Ian had a short stint with Black Sabbath before rejoining Deep Purple. The Gillan records are fantastic British heavy metal/hard rock. It's odd that Gillan were so massively popular in Europe but practically unknown in the States.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 8:26 pm

I have a cheap looking vinyl comp that has "Unchain Your Brain" on it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 3:52 am

Gillan - Mr Universe! If you haven't heard it, you are really missing out on something special.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Gillan - Mr Universe! If you haven't heard it, you are really missing out on something special.
Any of the Gillan albums from the 80's are great. Glory Road, Future Shock, Double Trouble, Magic...all were great.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 10:15 am

ultmetal wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
Any of the Gillan albums from the 80's are great. Glory Road, Future Shock, Double Trouble, Magic...all were great.
True but I do have a real soft spot for that album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 25, 2013 12:16 pm

journeyman wrote:
From what I understand, he didn't last too long. Only a handful of live shows. Anyone know what happened?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 am

Anyone have the Torme album Back to Babylon? I've played a couple of tracks on YouTube and I kinda like what I hear, but I'm wondering how well an album from '86 holds up in 2017?

Is it terribly dated with horrible 80's overproduction and synths?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 am

Bernie is in very poor health...

Quote :
The family of Bernie Tormé says that there has been no improvement in the guitarist's health after he was hospitalized earlier this week with double pneumonia.

It was reported a few days ago that the Irish musician was "extremely ill" and he has since been placed on a ventilator.

The family's statement reads: "Whilst Bernie remains in great hands in hospital, there has been no improvement in his condition and last night he was placed on a ventilator.

"Bernie remains in intensive care.

"Your continued thoughts, prayers and best wishes are most welcome."

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 10:30 am

Sad
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Truthfully, I don’t know much about Bernie other than his brief stint as Randy Rhoad’s temporary replacement. I’m sorry to hear of his poor health. Although his chances don’t look good, I truly hope he recovers.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 2:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Bernie is in very poor health...

Quote :
The family of Bernie Tormé says that there has been no improvement in the guitarist's health after he was hospitalized earlier this week with double pneumonia.

It was reported a few days ago that the Irish musician was "extremely ill" and he has since been placed on a ventilator.

The family's statement reads: "Whilst Bernie remains in great hands in hospital, there has been no improvement in his condition and last night he was placed on a ventilator.

"Bernie remains in intensive care.

"Your continued thoughts, prayers and best wishes are most welcome."

I hope he pulls through.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 3:54 pm

Sad to hear.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 pm

I read a Ozzy book - and it covered the early days - various guitarists -
Obviously Bernie was a major subject - and he discussed -
the shoes - he had to fill - pronto. He was a nervous wreck, as you can imagine.
Sharon was a tough ole goat too with him -
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 4:02 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
journeyman wrote:
From what I understand, he didn't last too long. Only a handful of live shows. Anyone know what happened?

He was a different player for sure. He was an absolute nervous wreck but also his playing wasn't as heavy as Randy's was. He just couldn't hang and left the group after 4 shows and that is when Brad Gillis took over. Brad had the gig by Bernie's 2nd show but was not ready and Bernie continued until Brad was ready. That's really all I know.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2022 4:39 pm

Listened to his “ Turn Out The Lights “ today. Somewhat reluctantly.
But something told me that the CD wasn’t that bad. Worth it.
So I spun it.
What a fun listen ! I do recommend it. A touch punky. Hard rock.
Bernie looked a little like George Lynch too - Tooth and Nail days.
Does anyone recommend GIRL - with Phil Lewis ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?   Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guitarist Bernie Torme....how have I not heard of this dude before?
Page 1 of 1