Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SCORPION CHILD

Go down 
+3
Dellocatus
Boris2008
MetalRob331
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Just listened to these guys album a few days ago after reading some reviews about how Zeppelineque they were. The comparison is definitely a good one in some parts of the album. This is one of those albums that after repeated listens you start hearing different things here and there...

In the Arms of Ecstasy and Paradigm are two other tracks that blow my mind but I can't find them anywhere...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

I like Scorpion Child but there have been a lot of great retro sounding records over the past couple of years so I haven't picked it up yet.
Back to top Go down
Dellocatus
Metal student
Metal student
Dellocatus

Number of posts : 131

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 am

Yeah, they're amazing. I already introduced them to the community here in another thread. But they definitely deserve their own one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 11:22 am

I picked this one up but didn't impress me like I hoped it would. It's good, but nothing grabbed me by the short & curlies. Although in all fairness, I've picked up a bunch of new tunes recently, so this may not have gotten (have gotten? Is that right?) it's fair shake. I think it's an album that takes a little time to absorb. I will certainly be revisiting it for more spins.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm there too, trying to like them but so far it's just fair.
Back to top Go down

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 2:13 pm

I listened to a few tracks yesterday and it didn't really make much of an impact.

The new Spiritual Beggars album Earth Blues is a more successful stab at this kinda thing.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 2:54 pm

I think we're starting to see the "beginning of the end" of the retro band-era. Too many like-minded bands are watering down the thick, chunky stew into a thin, flavorless broth. (Sorry, I just had lunch.). There will always be good ones, bad ones, and just plain bland ones.

It's like that wave of retro-thrash bands that were all the rage a few years back. It was (sorta-)new and exciting for awhile there. Then retro-thrash bands were popping up all over the place and they once again starting becoming interchangable and ultimately forgettable.

These guys are still pretty new to the scene, so time will tell where they fall in the big scale of things. I'm not ready to write them off yet. But it's gonna be an uphill battle for them.

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 3:08 pm

The retro bands I'm finding interesting now are the ones looking outside the normal Sabbath/Zeppelin/Deep Purple template and bringing in different influences from the era. I've heard enough Sabbath-sounding groups to last me a lifetime, but the music scene of the late 60s and early 70s had so much more to offer than just that.

Bands like Beardfish who are mining the rich soil of progressive rock from the early 70s or Purson who are giving a direct nod to the psychedelic and heavy prog styles are my current favorites from the retro scene.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 3:12 pm

I don't listen to the retro band style too much. So when I heard this I was like "cool." I'm so picky about music and I really like 4 of the tracks on this album.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:15 pm

I think that the retro thing has reached saturation point a bit too. There was a time that you could almost guarantee that the Swedish bands would be interesting but some of the newer ones are just don\'t know 

There is still plenty of quality though and Purson, Uncle Acid, Orcus Chylde, Jess & the Ancient Ones and Seremonia are the ones that interest me the most. I have noticed that I haven't even thought about playing either Ghost album for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I think we're starting to see the "beginning of the end" of the retro band-era.
Not a moment too soon..
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Ya even I seem to be burnt out on it, and that's not easy. I'm still interested in theory, but in practice I find myself reaching for the actual vintage when I'm in that mood. Not sure why. I think part of it has to do with already owning the old stuff, whereas staying on top of the neo retro scene feels like an endless expense.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 6:46 pm

The "era" or "scene" may die but I don't really care about any of that, but I don't think that some of the better bands have even begun to reach their potential yet. As long as they keep putting out records, I'll keep listening and let the rest of the world get on with Nu Grunge or Nuer Nu Metal or whatever floats their boat.
Back to top Go down

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I think we're starting to see the "beginning of the end" of the retro band-era.
Not a moment too soon..
The 70s-style retro groups have produced the majority of the most interesting music I've bought in the past several years. Once that scene dries up then my interest in new artists is liable to dry up with it.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 10:36 am

Bump for news...

Quote :
Austin, Texas-based classic rockers SCORPION CHILD will release a brand-new single on seven-inch vinyl and digital download on November 6 via Nuclear Blast Entertainment.

The single will contain the new track "She Sings, I Kill", as well as another new song, "(Enter The) Twilight Coven", which will be a B-side that is exclusive to this single. Both tracks will mark the first impression of the band's upcoming second album, which is tentatively scheduled for an early 2016 release.

SCORPION CHILD Scorpionchildshesingssingle

Nifty cover. I think I'll give their debut a fresh spin this week and see if it's improved any.

SCORPION CHILD Empty
PostSubject: Re: SCORPION CHILD   SCORPION CHILD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SCORPION CHILD
Page 1 of 1