Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dio's 90s output

Go down 
+14
Boris2008
manny
candlemass
nevermore
Dark Horseman
mc666
Eyesore
corplhicks
Witchfinder
Lari
MetallicSeminarian
bass63
ZombieHavoc
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:20 pm

To be honest, I have never owned a single album Dio recorded in the 90s (not counting Dehumanizer, you know).

I've purchased all of the 80s albums. And I also had Magicia and Killing the Dragon, though I didn't get heavily into them.

I just always skipped over the 90s stuff though. I even remember having Angry Machines in my hand once, from the used bin, but putting it down and getting something else.

Recently, I have been listing to Lock Up the Wolves, Strange Highways and Angry Machines. A lot. These are so good. I honestly cannot understand why I never bought the CDs.

This stuff is so good!
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Love Strange Highways & Angry Machines. I love the heaviness of those two.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 pm

I need to invest in some of these Dio albums. I used to have "lock up the wolves" and remember it being decent. The only ones I have currently (not counting rainbow or sabbath) are "holy diver," "the last in line," and "dream evil." Dio 
Back to top Go down

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 7:29 pm

I love Stange Highways and Angry Machines. They are HEAVY records and that is just the way I like it. Probably the Dio solo albums I return to the most often.

I also really dig the live album that lineup released:

Inferno: The Last In Live
Dio's 90s output 61C0wwYlQpL._SY300_
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 pm

I just don't like Angry Machines at all. It's trying too hard to be relevant sounding to mid-90's alternative metal/grunge fans. The songs are so and so, the sound is dull and sounds really corny listening to it now. At least for me. Maybe I'm just prejudiced against the sound. I'm happy for anyone who finds enjoyment out of this.

Strange Highways is better but still lacks the magic that made earlier Dio records great. Songs are actually quite good though. Not great, but good. Just a wrong time to put out a heavy metal album. Come to think of it, no wonder they went towards the Angry Machines sound afterwards.

Lock up the Wolves is somewhat in vein of the "classic" Dio albums. But clearly the worst of them all. Not that it's bad, but the first four are just on another level. There's a couple of forgettable songs and the highlights aren't awesome either. I like the sound and the guitars are sweet, too. I play this sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Most of this 90s output was garbage. Slow and ponderous or just creatively bankrupt. Strange Highways and Angry Machines were lame attempts to be "relevant" to the popular music of the times. Both albums failed spectacularly as a result. I saw the Angry Machines tour and Tracy G was awful. He butchered Viv's, Iommi's and Blackmore's solos in the live setting. Lock Up The Wolves was a weak attempt to recreate the magic of the first 3 albums and it failed as well.

For me, Dio stopped being great in his solo career with Dream Evil. Everything after that was middling to terrible. The only bright spot was Killing The Dragon, which at least was peppy, but even that is not that memorable.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 11:56 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Tracy G. Apart from having a letter for a last name, he's underwhelming and uninteresting. Otherwise, I actually do enjoy the songwriting of the 90's albums. Strange Highways was pretty heavy stuff, and Angry Machines had a very moody vibe that I dig. Lock Up the Wolves was the one weak spot that somewhat bored me. Killing the Dragon and Magica were masterpieces, hands down, and even better than his first two records.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 12:26 am

Solid albums. Not amazing by any means, but surely not the turdfests so many claim they are. It's a matter of tastes, really, because they're nothing like the first couple albums.

Why anyone has an issue with Magica and Killing the Dragon is beyond me. Much of those albums rival the best stuff Dio ever did. Songs like "Killing the Dragon," "Guilty," "Feed My Head," "Along Comes a Spider," "Scream," "Fever Dreams," all outstanding tunes. And the Master of the Moon album is quite good as well.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:21 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:

Recently, I have been listing to Lock Up the Wolves, Strange Highways and Angry Machines.
Those are my 3 favorite Dio albums. I prefer his darker stuff.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Magica is great, Killing the Dragon is very good and I actually like Lock Up the Wolves. Angry Machines and to a lesser degree Strange Highways aren't how I want Dio to sound. Just me, if you like them it's all good.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 1:39 pm

I think all of his 90s outputs were decent releases. Killing The Dragon is phenomenal all the way through and stands up to anything he put out in his earlier career. Angry Machines was just ok (and the weakest of all of his releases) and Strange Highways is one of his best songs.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 10:01 am

I love Strange Highways! One of my favorite Dio albums.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 12:58 pm

"Strange Highways" is a great lp! headbanger 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 1:56 pm

I liked his 90's albums, 'Strange Highways' is still a favorite Dio platter for me. 'Angry Machines' took me a while to get into, but still a good album. 'Magica' other then that silly story at the end of the disc is still a solid album.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 2:19 pm

manny wrote:
I liked his 90's albums, 'Strange Highways' is still a favorite Dio platter for me. 'Angry Machines' took me a while to get into, but still a good album. 'Magica' other then that silly story at the end of the disc is still a solid album.

You know, I've been listening to that album forever, and I still have yet to hear the story or even understand it! lol! 

Although that goes with any concept album for me.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm

corplhicks wrote:
manny wrote:

You know, I've been listening to that album forever, and I still have yet to hear the story or even understand it! lol! 

Although that goes with any concept album for me.

I am with you on that, I have no idea what the story is about. Hell til I read Fat Freddy's blog I had no idea what KISS was going on about on 'Music from the Elder'
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 pm

I had a listen to Angry Machines after seeing this thread because I didn't really listen to much metal in the Nineties. Got bored after a few songs and ended up listening to Elf instead.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I had a listen to Angry Machines after seeing this thread because I didn't really listen to much metal in the Nineties. Got bored after a few songs and ended up listening to Elf instead.

That album took me a long while to get into, now I really enjoy it but I did not always find it so enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:24 pm

corplhicks wrote:
manny wrote:

You know, I've been listening to that album forever, and I still have yet to hear the story or even understand it!

Same with me. I never bothered with it and never plan to.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 1:28 pm

I've never owned Strange Highways but the title track is on the Very Beast of Dio comp and it's a cool song, for whatever that's worth. I've been meaning to pick that one up for a while now but have never come across it in my travels.

Angry Machines and Last in Live did nothin' for me. I traded them off ages ago.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 pm

From front to back, "Strange Highways" is the only DIO solo album I can listen to all the way through. I'd probably have to say it is my favorite for that reason. I think he did a good job of keeping his own style and making it more "modern" on this one. Great production too.

"Holy Diver" and "The Last in Line" both start out very strong but the second half descends into pedestrian songwriting.

Overall, I think Dio was actually better collaborating with Iommi and Blackmore than he was on his own though.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 2:04 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

"Holy Diver" and "The Last in Line" both start out very strong but the second half descends into pedestrian songwriting.

Overall, I think Dio was actually better collaborating with Iommi and Blackmore than he was on his own though.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 8:32 am

corplhicks wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Agreed.

Vehemently disagree!!!!!!! angry 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Yep.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 8:46 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
From front to back, "Strange Highways" is the only DIO solo album I can listen to all the way through.  I'd probably have to say it is my favorite for that reason.  I think he did a good job of keeping his own style and making it more "modern" on this one.  Great production too.

I disagree with part of this statement, I do not think the second half of those discs descend into pedestrian songwriting but I do agree he was a better collaborater with Iommi and Blackmore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dio's 90s output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dio's 90s output   Dio's 90s output Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dio's 90s output
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next