Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!

Go down 
+15
MoonChild
Orion Crystal Ice
exact33
corplhicks
thejokeriv
journeyman
stepcousin
Boris2008
Chrome Locust
Witchfinder
manny
chewie
bgsully
Fat Freddy
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Empty
PostSubject: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Wanna feel old?
Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! 6743121_f260

Metallica's KILL'EM ALL was released on this date (July 25th) in 1983. That was THIRTY YEARS AGO. Damn.

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Metallicas-KILL-EM-ALL-1983-A-Fanboys-Perspective

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Wow...I was 6 yrs old! Shocked 
Unfortunately, I wasn't exposed to Metallica till about 89....but when I was, I was hooked!.....and then came the black album.blech
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm

It was released 12 days before my 13th birthday. The first Metallica album I bought was Ride The Lightning the following year, I bought Kill 'Em All shortly afterward.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm

DAMN!!!! I remember when Phil Dinh said "Dude, can you put these albums on cassette for me?" KEA was amongst the lps. I was hooked!!!! Bought that and Ride The Lightning soon after it came out.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! 251456
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 5:02 pm

I was 14 going on 15. I remember being afraid of the ablum cover because it had blood on it. Ha!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 5:36 pm

bgsully wrote:
Unfortunately, I wasn't exposed to Metallica till about 89....but when I was, I was hooked!.....and then came the black album.blech

Lucky effer, I was banging to that at age 14 when it first came out lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 6:00 pm

I was 11!! I never got into Metallica until RTL had been out a couple of months though, but from then on they were an obsession until AJFA.

We are very old! sigh 
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Summer of '83 my brother and his friend Jason were die-hard punkers and hated my heavy metal music, but Jason had a mix tape of fast punk influenced metal (now affectionally known as thrash) and played me 3 songs: Hit The Lights, Whiplash, and Metal Militia. I ended up ordering it through the mail, as well as the first couple Metal Massacre albums and a few others. Thus began my descent into the thrash metal world and away from "Poser" rock, what peple call "hair metal" these days.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
bgsully wrote:

Lucky effer, I was banging to that at age 14 when it first came out lol! lol! lol! 

Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 8:00 pm

S.D. wrote:
The first Metallica album I bought was Ride The Lightning the following year, I bought Kill 'Em All shortly afterward.
Same here. What a trip, 30 years for Metallica. I'm used to hearing xx years for Led Zep and Rolling Stones, not the bands that happened in my youth.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I was 14 going on 15.  I remember being afraid of the ablum cover because it had blood on it.  Ha!

I was 13 going on 14. I was scared of the photo of the band on the back... they looked like a pimply faced street gang!!
lol! 

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I was 14 going on 15.  I remember being afraid of the ablum cover because it had blood on it.  Ha!

I was 13 going on 14. I was scared of the photo of the band on the back... they looked like a pimply faced street gang!!
lol! 

LOL!!! Yeah, they hadn't finished puberty yet.....

I was just about to turn 14 when it came out..... got into it after I heard RTL
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:10 am

I was 3.

But I do remember getting into Metallica and seeing that album art, thinking, "this has got to be the most violent band in metal history." At the time you could say I was right.

Badass work, my second favorite after Lightning.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 am

corplhicks wrote:
I was 3.

But I do remember getting into Metallica and seeing that album art, thinking, "this has got to be the most violent band in metal history." At the time you could say I was right.

You could say that, but as Exodus were already doing their thing, you would be wrong lol! 
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:08 am

I had just turned 15 when it was released. I didn't give this much thought when it first came out. A friend of mine had it and played it a few times but it just didn't click with me. The same friend bought Ride The Lightning and I was just blown away by it. I've since warmed up to Kill Em All but it still is probably my least played of the early Metallica releases.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 am

The first Metallica album I had heard of was 'Ride the Lighting', but I had already been listening to Raven, Venom and Mercyful Fate, and it was not til 1986, when I was 16 that I bought a Metallica album and that was 'Master of Puppets'

Later I went back ( I think within a week or so) and bought the other two albums, and I liked 'Kill 'em All' but I was way into 'Ride.." and 'Master...' so it took me awhile to fully apprecite
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:17 am

I was 10. Wow. How time flies.

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:19 am

I was 2 years away from giving this world a reason to keep turning. I do remember when I got into metal and checked it out how much I dug the sound and attitude compared to say 'Puppets'..
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 am

I was 11, such a brilliant record.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Oddly enough, after I started this thread yesterday, I got the current issue of "Entertainment Weekly" in the mail and there was a piece in it about Madonna's debut album turning 30 ... of course, my immediate metal-nerd reaction was "Pfft! To hell with Madonna, what about Kill'Em All?" ... then I turn the page and there was a little sidebar article devoted to other "watershed" albums that were also released in 1983, and it was a very impressive group, including Def Leppard's Pyromania, The Police's Synchronicity, Motley Crue's Shout At The Devil, and yes indeed, even Kill'Em All. I was mildlly surprised and pleased that a mainstream mag like EW acknowledged the fact that Metallica existed prior to the Black Album. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 pm

You have a subscription to EW. My respect for you just dropped like, like tons man.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
You have a subscription to EW. My respect for you just dropped like, like tons man.

Hey man, don't be hatin'. It was the big Comic-Con wrap-up issue!! Very Happy

My wife and I have had a subscription to EW for years. One of her relatives got it for us as a Christmas gift ages ago ...my kids dig it, whenever they put Spider-Man or Batman on the cover they cut it out and hang it on their bedroom door.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
I was 3.

You could say that, but as Exodus were already doing their thing, you would be wrong lol! 

Ah they were, but that album was a couple years later.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 pm

I wasn't born yet Very Happy. There are plenty of thrash bands i like more, but those first 4 (arguably 5) Metallica records deserve a lot of the praise they receive. (But AJFA is still the best Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!   Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallica's KILL'EM ALL turns 30!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next