Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Queensryche vs. Queensryche

Go down 
+16
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
mc666
manny
exact33
bgsully
Eyesore
bass63
thejokeriv
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
MetallicSeminarian
ultmetal
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 pm

I think there are plenty of catchy choruses on this new album.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:

100% agree!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

100% agree!

Agreed

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Who will prevail?  The attorneys.  Just like we always do.  Very Happy 

Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 506406 

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 12:48 am

Not here; not like Empire or Mindcrime. I remember listening to those albums for the first time and instantly getting the songs stuck in my head (I can still hum several Mindcrime tracks even though I haven't heard it in over ten years). That hasn't happened here, and I've heard the s/t three times.

This isn't a bad thing, however. I don't believe a song has to be overly catchy to be good. There's a lot more to a well-written song than that. And I really like the s/t regardless of the comparisons.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 am

Both camps lost.

"Nostradamus" is a masterpiece compared to what these guys are putting out.  It's not even close or debatable.

I'm not even sure it is possible for the guitars to get any more boring.  Are there any riffs or leads that stick out?  So there is talk here about catchy choruses ... how about catchy guitar hooks?  I heard none, just a bunch of filler. No wonder everyone is writing this time. Anyone can come up with this stuff.

The whole situation is such a waste of a formerly great band. Todd is a great singer but what a dull album. I'm glad he didn't stink up CRIMSON GLORY with this kind of stuff because QUEENSRYCHE was done anyway before he joined. There are just so many better places to get your classy power metal/QUEENSRYCHE fix than what the three side men and their cover band singer could muster up. Maybe CRIMSON GLORY can still find a capable singer and release something great ... they at least still have their main songwriter.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:13 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Both camps lost.
That is pretty much my feeling on it.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 am

corplhicks wrote:
Not here; not like Empire or Mindcrime. I remember listening to those albums for the first time and instantly getting the songs stuck in my head (I can still hum several Mindcrime tracks even though I haven't heard it in over ten years). That hasn't happened here, and I've heard the s/t three times.

This isn't a bad thing, however. I don't believe a song has to be overly catchy to be good. There's a lot more to a well-written song than that. And I really like the s/t regardless of the comparisons.
But you're not the same person now. Probably 99% of the songs and lyrics that I have memorized come from my teen years and early 20s. After that, I got very little. We just don't take it in the same way once we become adults with responsibilities and whatnot.

But for the sake of argument, I'd say that every song on the album has a memorable chorus. And if "Where Dreams Go to Die," "In This Light" and "A World Without" didn't immediately get lodged in your head, I don't know what to say.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:21 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'm not even sure it is possible for the guitars to get any more boring.  Are there any riffs or leads that stick out?  So there is talk here about catchy choruses ... how about catchy guitar hooks?  I heard none, just a bunch of filler.  No wonder everyone is writing this time.  Anyone can come up with this stuff.
Plenty of guitar hooks, memorable riffs and leads.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 2:56 am

Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

But you're not the same person now. Probably 99% of the songs and lyrics that I have memorized come from my teen years and early 20s. After that, I got very little. We just don't take it in the same way once we become adults with responsibilities and whatnot.

Valid point, but I gotta say Accept's Stalingrad (album) was swimming in my head after the first listen, so it's still possible to experience that instant attachment, albeit not as frequently.

A better word to use here is 'infectious.' I believe this new s/t to be memorable. Infectious, like Empire and Mindcrime? Not so. I can remember the songs on s/t because it is indeed a good album, as it is hooky and memorable, but you're right, they don't get lodged in my head. Maybe it's my wiring, I dunno.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 am

Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
I'm not even sure it is possible for the guitars to get any more boring.  Are there any riffs or leads that stick out?  So there is talk here about catchy choruses ... how about catchy guitar hooks?  I heard none, just a bunch of filler.  No wonder everyone is writing this time.  Anyone can come up with this stuff.

Yep, bingo - great riffs and great solos to go with great vocals
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 am

I do like the ToddR and far prefer it to FU, but the whole thing does hit me as half baked. I can dig a lot of separate parts in 'Spore' and 'In This Light'...some of 'Where Dreams Go To Die' and 'Fallout'...and I like all those songs.....but most of this stuff there is something missing.

QR has always basically been a 'song as a whole' band, which is okay too, a band like Rage will have something a bit different going on with riff meshed with riff piece meshed with riff structure, vocals overlaying... just a difference in style......... but I do think QR can do a lot better than this record.

My favorite QR is 'Rage For Order', which is very song-as-a-whole with not a lot of one instrument taking precedence. But that is a top 5 record for me and ToddR doesn't touch that record. 'Mindcrime' on the other hand has the guitars and vocals take clear center stage and the guitars really carry a huge amount, more than any other album they have. The whole melodic framework is built around the rhythm guitars, vocals, and harmonies. That's a desert island record for me too and I know that is more the direction ToB is wanting them to take. I'm good either way as long as it's not as spotty as this new one is.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm still sticking with the Toddryche album kicking major ass in my book. No matter what anyone sez.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Both camps lost. wrote:

How so? The Todd QR is getting lot's of positive press and put out an enjoyable album. As for Nostradamus being better then this no debate, that's your opinion so ok but I don't agree. I try to listen to Nostradamus and get bored very quickly while the S/T QR keeps my attention.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:43 pm

I would choose the worst Priest album over the best QR record every time.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:46 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Yep, bingo - great riffs and great solos to go with great vocals

I agree. Tate doesnt have it anymore.

bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 10:17 pm

bass63 wrote:
I'm still sticking with the Toddryche album kicking major ass in my book. No matter what anyone sez.

Agreed. I finally bought it. Love it! That is all. Smile
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:13 am

Where it really matters (at least to me) Onstage, the Tate fronted ensemble totaly blows it and thats all I am gonna say.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 12:54 pm

I hear a lot of skilled playing and singing on the ToddRyche....but I'm kinda w/ TOB...not a lot of hook.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I hear a lot of skilled playing and singing on the ToddRyche....but I'm kinda w/ TOB...not a lot of hook.
Coming from ToB, par for the course, but I'm surprised to hear you say this.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Me too. I was playing this CD on the way home from the gym and already found myself singing along to some songs...

As you look to the heavens wondering where you went wrong
Seeing, not always believing the gavel of life coming down
headbanger 

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 3:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Me too. I was playing this CD on the way home from the gym and already found myself singing along to some songs...

As you look to the heavens wondering where you went wrong
Seeing, not always believing the gavel of life coming down
headbanger 

O yeah!!!! Love Rockenfield's drumming on the track!!!!!!! Lyrics are cool too - the band seemed to write lyrics as Tate therapy... as opposed to Tate's solo album of "how many different ways can I say FU to the band that fired me"
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Like I said before, it's just not sinking in with me. I keep trying because it's Queensryche, but honestly it's not doing it for me. It's got melody, it's skillfully executed, and it's certainly closer to the Ryche of old...it's just not making me want to listen again...I have to intentionally try and listen to it.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

It's not really par for the course.

I think Nostradamus is far better than most of you think it is, for one example.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

It's not really par for the course.

I think Nostradamus is far better than most of you think it is, for one example.

Yeah, Nostradamus is a much better record than most people will say it is...

PostSubject: Re: Queensryche vs. Queensryche   Queensryche vs. Queensryche - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Queensryche vs. Queensryche
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next