Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just an Observation

Go down 
+8
Fat Freddy
krokus
Wargod
mc666
Shiney
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
12 posters
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Just an Observation Empty
PostSubject: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 4:38 pm

I visited my local chain cd store last nite (Friday) to pick up some stuff. As I browsed the used section, I noticed that the heavy metal cd's now have their own section. That's really cool, I thought. Then, as I made my way through the two big racks of stuff, I realized that the numetal kids that work there don't know what is metal and what is not metal. For example: Slaughter, Kiss, and Joe Satriani are not metal. I love all three of those acts but they are not heavey metal and therefore, do not belong in then heavy metal section. To make matters worse, they leave out such great acts as Savatage, Iced Earth, Armored Saint, and Helloween. They keep them in the pop rock section along with Elvis Costello, Madonna, and Shania Twain. Unreal!!! I know it's not possible for everyone to know every band and the genre to which they belong. And it's obvious that Slaughter got in the bin based on their band name alone, cause if you have Death, Death Angel, Warlock, and Wasp, well then a band called Slaughter must be heavy/death metal as well, right? Okay, I'm off my soapbox for now. I just thought that this is one more sad way that Metal is so misunderstood.
At least they got JP in the right section. I would have had to crack some skulls if they hadn't. Peace.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 4:49 pm

I know where you're coming from. The local FYE has a "metal" section and some of the cd's stocked within are laughable.

Ah well, no use getting your panties in a twist over it. At least they're recognizing metal as a genre and giving it it's own section. Hey, if anything, it saves ya time by going directly to that section instead of pouring through the rest of the crappy rock/pop, looking for the latest Iced Earth cd.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Part of it is how the distributor is labeling them. For instance, when Ultimatum's "Puppet of Destruction" came out, it was on Rowe Productions. In the U.S. we had distribution through Diamante Music Group. At the same time Mortification's 'Triumph of Mercy" was released on Rowe, but with distribution through Metal Blade. I walked into a local store and found the Morty CD in the metal section with bands like King Diamond and Iron Maiden, right were they should be. However, the Ultimatum CD was in the "Gospel" section with BeBe & CeCe Winans, Micheal W. Smith, Sandi Patti, etc. Obviously we don't belong there so without revealing to the music clerk who I was, I asked why Ultimatum were in that section and he told me that they were a Gospel band. I said, no they aren't, they are a metal band. He informed me that Diamante Music Group had labeled Ultimatum a Gospel Group and he showed me on the computer. Ridiculous! I told him Ultimatum were a metal band and if Ultimatum belonged in some seperate "Gospel" section, they so did Mortification who are similar style of music and on the same label. The clerk disagreed. I then asked him where the Satanic section was because I wanted to pick up some Venom and Mercyful Fate. He didn't find me amusing, but at least I made my point. Next time I came in the store, the Ultimatum CDs were in the metal section.

Soooo, that could be why some bands are in the metal section and others are in the rock/pop section. If the distributor has the album labeled as "rock" as opposed to metal, that could be the reason.

ult

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Sentinel....

I know I did not see ELVIS COSTELLO referenced in a condescending fahion....!!

I'd hate to have to drag you out back to the woodshed for a good solid hide tanning:)

ELVIS is the man!!!

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 7:46 pm

I've seen rap CDs in the "metal" section, and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm

Shiney wrote:
Sentinel....

I know I did not see ELVIS COSTELLO referenced in a condescending fahion....!!

I'd hate to have to drag you out back to the woodshed for a good solid hide tanning:)

ELVIS is the man!!!

:lmao:
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 8:23 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Part of it is how the distributor is labeling them. For instance, when Ultimatum's "Puppet of Destruction" came out, it was on Rowe Productions. In the U.S. we had distribution through Diamante Music Group. At the same time Mortification's 'Triumph of Mercy" was released on Rowe, but with distribution through Metal Blade. I walked into a local store and found the Morty CD in the metal section with bands like King Diamond and Iron Maiden, right were they should be. However, the Ultimatum CD was in the "Gospel" section with BeBe & CeCe Winans, Micheal W. Smith, Sandi Patti, etc. Obviously we don't belong there so without revealing to the music clerk who I was, I asked why Ultimatum were in that section and he told me that they were a Gospel band. I said, no they aren't, they are a metal band. He informed me that Diamante Music Group had labeled Ultimatum a Gospel Group and he showed me on the computer. Ridiculous! I told him Ultimatum were a metal band and if Ultimatum belonged in some seperate "Gospel" section, they so did Mortification who are similar style of music and on the same label. The clerk disagreed. I then asked him where the Satanic section was because I wanted to pick up some Venom and Mercyful Fate. He didn't find me amusing, but at least I made my point. Next time I came in the store, the Ultimatum CDs were in the metal section.

Soooo, that could be why some bands are in the metal section and others are in the rock/pop section. If the distributor has the album labeled as "rock" as opposed to metal, that could be the reason.

ult

Ult, I never thought of it that way. That sounds like a plausible explanation. I still think that there is some ignorance on the part of the staff there. The way that some people are followers, some people are individuals and strive too much too stand out. My point is that the people usually working in the local chain store are kids who are so into bands that noone else has ever heard of that they have no idea of the history and lineage of the music that has influenced their music. Pheww!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 8:29 pm

I don't have this problem with my CD store ( Dunno how you're calling it in English...) But I never saw Ultimatum CD. Maybe the band isn't known in Canada...
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 8:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I know where you're coming from. The local FYE has a "metal" section and some of the cd's stocked within are laughable.

Ah well, no use getting your panties in a twist over it. At least they're recognizing metal as a genre and giving it it's own section. Hey, if anything, it saves ya time by going directly to that section instead of pouring through the rest of the crappy rock/pop, looking for the latest Iced Earth cd.

First, you are assuming I wear underwear Laughing very hard Second, FYE is absolutely the worst, imho, cd store ever created. sick I stopped at the one near my house last week and they have gigantic signs plastered everywhere stating "Buy any 2 cd's/dvd's and get 1 Free!" When I got to the register they tried to charge me full price for the 6 cd's I had and I asked the clerk "what about the deal?" She replied, "it's only on those cd's and dvd's in that bin over there" and she points to a small 2x2 square bin that has a whopping 50 combined cd's and dvd's in it. Needless to say, I told her very nicely what a joke FYE is as a company. I know it's not her fault, so I was not rude to her in any way. I checked the signs in the window on the way out for any fine print, but there was only the obligatory "free cd/dvd must be of equal or lesser value." That will be the last time I ever venture into a "For Your Aggravation" store. Also, they no longer sell cd/dvd storage racks! Not even in the gigantic 2 floor store in Warwick. I guess all the life size carboard stand-ups of Spiderman and Orlando Bloom are taking up too much room! What's next, convenience stores stop selling milk and cigarettes?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 9:28 pm

i see where you are coming from, but really the metal genre is so expansive it could include alot of hard rock, nu metal, etc etc. hell, look at all of the different bands discussed at this forum. are the Scorpions metal or hard rock? are WASP metal or hard rock? Alice In Chains, are they metal or grunge? AC/DC?

aside from what Ult mentioned, it could be just the personal opinion of whom ever is putting out stock. could be multiple people.

Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Plus FYE is so expensive when selling their cds period!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 11:33 pm

Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod48
I have a friend that works at FYE (he's a retail lifer) and he said someone came in the other day and sold a Leatherwolf CD to them. FYE gave the guy $4. It's sitting in the bin right now for $20. Shocked
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 12:00 am

Eyesore wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod48
I have a friend that works at FYE (he's a retail lifer) and he said someone came in the other day and sold a Leatherwolf CD to them. FYE gave the guy $4. It's sitting in the bin right now for $20. Shocked

I was told by a guy who works for Newberry Comics that when that obscure 80's metal comes in they have to ship it to the home office/headquarters so it can be put on ebay or sold on their website for disgusting prices. They can't even buy it.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 4:13 am

Okay SLAUGHTER never have been heavy metal, but they played hard rock and hard rock is part of heavy metal in my book.
KISS started like a HEAVY ROCK band but they did some heavy metal too, like CREATURES OF THE NIGHT or songs from LICK IT UP, ANIMALIZE etc...and they belong in the metal section in my opinion. And JOE SATRIANI made some early albums with many metal riffs, and he was a part of our movement.
Yes, i think those bands should all be in the metal section (if their is not a HARD ROCK SECTION).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 7:46 am

Eyesore wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod48

That's nuts. A while back I was looking @ used CDs in an FYE and I found Immolation's DAWN OF POSSESSION disc with a price tag of $49.99 on it! I thought "There's no way that's right, it's gotta be $4.99, somebody must've goofed," but I couldn't help myself, the curiosity was killing me, so I took it up to the counter and said "Is this CD REALLY $49.99?" The guy scanned it and said "Yup, it's listed as Rare and Out of Print." I guess even the brick and mortar stores want their piece of the eBay style pie nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 12:17 am

Shiney wrote:

ELVIS is the man!!!

Only if followed by PRESLEY! lol!
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 12:36 am

Eyesore wrote:

Same thing here in my town. We have a used store called Disc-Go-Round. All of there discs used to be priced at $7.99 or lower, because they were all used, there is the rare occasion when you get like a two-disc set, those are usually $10.99, which still isn't bad. Lately though I've been finding some discs that should be $7.99, but are priced at $19.99 for single discs! Raven's Wiped Out for one and the newest Onslaught disc. It sucks because I know some poor guy came in there and sold it to them for like $3, because he didn't know any better and they love to rip people off. angry
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 11:14 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod48

That's nuts. A while back I was looking @ used CDs in an FYE and I found Immolation's DAWN OF POSSESSION disc with a price tag of $49.99 on it! I thought "There's no way that's right, it's gotta be $4.99, somebody must've goofed," but I couldn't help myself, the curiosity was killing me, so I took it up to the counter and said "Is this CD REALLY $49.99?" The guy scanned it and said "Yup, it's listed as Rare and Out of Print." I guess even the brick and mortar stores want their piece of the eBay style pie nowadays.

That's crazy! Shocked

Anyway, on the subject of Rock stuff ending up in the Metal section of stores...
This reminds me of a conversation that I had on another forum. We recently decided to split our music section so that it had one board for Metal and one for Rock. I found it amazing how awkward it was to put some bands in their relevant sections. Where does Rock stop being rock and become Metal?
One member of the forum said that "Yesterday's Metal is Today's Rock" (or something like that) and I think that there's an element of truth in that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 11:19 am

Even crazier is that the guy in that FYE store told me that the Immolation disc wasn't even the most expensive used CD that they had in stock... he sez there was some rare Tina Turner CD floating around somewhere in the store that was going for $100. I sez "Yea, well, good luck selling 'em at THESE prices."

I miss the days when you could walk into a used CD store and EVERY used disc, no matter what genre, what band, or how old it was, would be priced $7.99 - $9.99. Unfortunately, the "eBay effect" has made most of these stores aware that they could be getting a lot more for certain discs. One store I go to now has a separate bin for "COLLECTORS ITEMS" in the used CD section and all of them are grossly over-priced IMHO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 11:23 am

I admit that I am a victim of the EBay effect. CDs I swore I could never get because of the EBay price are more redily available than I thought. Most recent example. I picked up a copy of The Crucified's S/T CD on Ebay for $4.97. Everyone else has it up for at least $29.99.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 12:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:

ult

Gospel?!?! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

*takes breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

ult

Gospel?!?! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

*takes breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 8:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Even crazier is that the guy in that FYE store told me that the Immolation disc wasn't even the most expensive used CD that they had in stock... he sez there was some rare Tina Turner CD floating around somewhere in the store that was going for $100. I sez "Yea, well, good luck selling 'em at THESE prices."

I miss the days when you could walk into a used CD store and EVERY used disc, no matter what genre, what band, or how old it was, would be priced $7.99 - $9.99. Unfortunately, the "eBay effect" has made most of these stores aware that they could be getting a lot more for certain discs. One store I go to now has a separate bin for "COLLECTORS ITEMS" in the used CD section and all of them are grossly over-priced IMHO

There used to be a used cd store that also sold some cassettes and albums and videos/dvd's etc. It was great when he first opened because all used cd;s were $6 a piece or 2 for $10 and $12 for doubles and 2 for $20. He went out of business after about 9-10 years because he started paying less and less for used discs when they came through the door and putting all the good stuff on ebay because he could get more for it or so he thought. It became frustrating to go there because things that you saw a few days earlier for the good prices were now being listed on ebay. He would do this while he was working the store. Of course, if you wanted that Bulletboys or Ratt cd, he would now offer it to you for a ridiculous price that he said he would get online. angry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just an Observation   Just an Observation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just an Observation
Page 1 of 1