Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where to start with Mountain?

Go down 
+4
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Wurthless
Boris2008
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Where to start with Mountain? Empty
PostSubject: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm

I first became aware of Mountain many, many years ago when they were a part of the Deep Purple Reunion/Perfect Strangers show at Knebwoth '85 the whole gig was on the radio all day and Mountain were the standout band, I liked them and vowed to check them out.

Good to my word I want to do just that, (it's only been 28 years, quite quick really!Laughing very hard)

What's the best album to start with? Or are they a 'Best Of' kind of a band?
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Their first album, Climbing! is their best, IMO. It's also a good idea to check out their live stuff, too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 am

I've had this comp for some time...
Where to start with Mountain? Bestofmountain

...I like it well enough, but I've never felt the need to investigate these guys any deeper.

I also have a Leslie West solo album where he covers a bunch of blues standards. Nothing amazing(his guitar skills far outweigh his vocals), but decent enough when it's mixed in a playlist of other blues music or cover tunes.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:41 am

Climbing and Nantucket Sleighride are essential.

As an aside, if you want Mountain to play your wedding it costs $30,000. If you just want Leslie West, it's $20,000. You can talk them down to about $8,000 though. True story.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:55 am

Witchfinder wrote:

As an aside, if you want Mountain to play your wedding it costs $30,000.  If you just want Leslie West, it's $20,000.  You can talk them down to about $8,000 though.  True story.

Does he offer a discount because there is now less of him? Twisted Evil

Yea, I went there.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 12:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

As an aside, if you want Mountain to play your wedding it costs $30,000.  If you just want Leslie West, it's $20,000.  You can talk them down to about $8,000 though.  True story.

Yea, I went there.

Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Yea, I went there.

Where to start with Mountain? 25679

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 3:34 pm

'Climbing', is an excellent debut album and one album every hard rocker should have in their collection
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 pm

A few years ago, Mountain put out Masters of War, which is an album of Bob Dylan covers, done in a more rockin' style. Ozzy and Warren Hayes guest. Some songs work better than others, but it's an interesting listen nonetheless.

Leslie West also had another solo album of originals and maybe a cover or 2 with a ton of guests like Slash and Zakk Wylde among others.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 4:49 pm

At bottom...

... Where to start with Mountain? 811939

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Where to start with Mountain? Mountain_west

Start here:

Technically NOT a Mountain album but one of my top 10 albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 6:35 pm

Cool, that's for the tips guys (especially in the highly unlikely prospect of me getting hitched!lol!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to start with Mountain?   Where to start with Mountain? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to start with Mountain?
Page 1 of 1