Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .

Go down 
+10
Leatherface
kmorg
Eyesore
mc666
Alex Dee Rokket
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
Chrome Locust
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Empty
PostSubject: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:33 pm

. . .what in all things metal this wailing atrocity has got to do with metal?

I really tried to understand black metal, I really have, and have come to the conclusion after watching x amount of documentaries and listening to endless bands in the genre like Mayhem - that it is total shit. BUT BARZUM!!!! A bunch of computer generated synth noise, wailed over by Varg, is beyond bad. Its awful and about as METAL as f**king Boy George.

How is this idiot popular with metal fans when his music is not metal? Its absolute rubbish. God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Who said Boy George isn't metal? "Karma karma karma karma karma chameleoooooon...you come and goooooo..." BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . 754598

j/k

I'll check Burzum out and get back to you on this Wink
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:41 pm

See my point. Nobody can explain this utter rubbish. I've heard heavier ABC tracks than this clown. Hit pre-programme synth - scream for a while, equals: BARZUM! No wonder he got early release.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:42 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Who said Boy George isn't metal? "Karma karma karma karma karma chameleoooooon...you come and goooooo..." BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . 754598

j/k

Laughing very hard

I love it, brother.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:45 pm

corplhicks wrote:

j/k

And now that's stuck in my head, thanks. angry

I've never heard burzum, though i know who they are, but I'm not a huge black metal fan to begin with. I'll take almost any subgenre of metal over it.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Oh wait heres a classic Burzum track with Varg screaming his head off. Woeful.

=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWGveho-rg0&feature=share&list=PL56834FEE6B6F8653]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWGveho-rg0&feature=share&list=PL56834FEE6B6F8653[/url]
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Why not just start a thread on how shitty an entire genre is and get it over with? Oh wait, that's happened.

In related news:

- Bears sometimes maul humans. Kill them all.
- Christians hurt my feelings, and don't do what Jesus said to do. F*** Jesus.
- My computer blew up and did something or other. Technology is awful!

This is infantile.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:12 pm

[quote="Orion Crystal Ice"]Why not just start a thread on how shitty an entire genre is and get it over with? Oh wait, that's happened.

In related news:

- Bears sometimes maul humans. Kill them all.
- Christians hurt my feelings, and don't do what Jesus said to do. F*** Jesus.
- My computer blew up and did something or other. Technology is awful!

This is infantile.[/quote

If there is something bothering you, buddy, I'm here for you. Can we grow? We can grow from this experience Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:13 pm

I didn't mind the music of that track, but the vocals were not my taste. I think I might like black metal more with different vocal styles (maybe there's more vocal variety in the genre than I've heard, so someone tell me if there is).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:18 pm

As usual with this style, I'm OK with the music but growling/screaming vocals are an instant turnoff for me.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Cookie Monster vocals are a mixed bag for me. My introduction to the style was through Morbid Angel in the 90s, and I thought it was the coolest style to fit with souch experimental music. However, I prefer melodic vocals with a dynamic, serrated edge, like Halford. The Cookie Monster style gets old after a while, but every now and then I want to return to it because of the aggressive and sometimes haunting nature. In other words, yeah its a one-trick pony, but it's a pony straight from hell so I'm willing to ride.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:36 pm

I prefer the deep, guttural growling over the high-pitched shrieking.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:37 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I think I'm the other way round. I don't really like either but somehow I seem to be able to stomach the shrieking more than cookie monster vocals.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:42 pm

tohostudios wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I think I'm the other way round. I don't really like either but somehow I seem to be able to stomach the shrieking more than cookie monster vocals.

About the "harshest" I can listen to on a regular basis is the shouted vocals common in thrash. I like some death metal quite a bit, but it's not something I can just crank up at anytime.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 pm

As with all forms of artistic expression there will be fans and detractors. It is impossible to appeal to everyone. Go to an art gallery and you will come out with a variety of opinions about what you saw and experienced. Some paintings, sculputres etc you will like an understand through your own subjective filter, whilst other stuff that you are mentally not prepared to experience will seem strange and at times will challenge your own value system.

In a musical context, I recall the first time I heard Sepultura and saw the album cover of Arise. This style of music brought upon so many different emotions I hadn't experienced with music before. The vocals sounded inhuman, the artwork looked out of this world, I simply didn't know how to react to it - be scared, turn it off, turn it up, listen more to it, embrace it... I hadn't heard anything like it before, I mean I was like 15 when I first heard it so my exposure to such music was nonexistent.

So when you hear something like Burzum the same questions and feelings are likely to come up. How is this art? How can people like this? If you are after an answer to those questions then you are fresh out of luck. There is no concrete, black and white, right or wrong answer here. By the same token we might just as bewildered that you don't like it... The 'why' question is subjective and filtered through your own set of experiences and values; the 'how' question depends on how willing you are to open up your senses and explore the unknown... it is all within you and it has nothing to do with questioning others senses and experiences as those are subjective and exclusive to them. Similarly, we may enjoy the same band and music but how we percieve it and what we gain out of it can be on different levels and even at complete opposite ends.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:25 pm

In response to ALEX DEE ROKKET, my cat (a kitten) just pissed on a piece of newspaper - should I offer that as art? The grounds of modern art are blurred to basically give people (like punk/hardcore musicians) a shake at it, and let pretentious idiots see meaning where there is none. Picasso sold because he had a serious eye for the abstract, same as Dali, I could go on. To compare Burzum as art is an insult. A joke of the most vulgar kind. Some twit wailing his head off to a computer generated track, with pre recorded computer drums - give me a BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . 25679 BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . 25679 bucket. Varg is a joke, he has no talent, unless u call making noise, an actual talent. Like comparing Dali to my cat pissing on the newspaper.

I find Varg the twit of metal Xfactor the golden boy of black metal. Pathetic.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:29 pm

I wasn't a fan of his ambient synth driven recordings he made whilst in prison. However, his black metal albums are top notch. Det Som Engang Var is one of the best BM recordings ever made imo.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
In response to ALEX DEE ROKKET, my cat (a kitten) just pissed on a piece of newspaper - should I offer that as art? The grounds of modern art are blurred to basically give people (like punk/hardcore musicians) a shake at it, and let pretentious idiots see meaning where there is none. Picasso sold because he had a serious eye for the abstract, same as Dali, I could go on. To compare Burzum as art is an insult. A joke of the most vulgar kind. Some twit wailing his head off to a computer generated track, with pre recorded computer drums - give me a BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . 25679 BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . 25679 bucket. Varg is a joke, he has no talent, unless u call making noise, an actual talent. Like comparing Dali to my cat pissing on the newspaper.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I take it Minimalism and Absurdism aren't really your pint of ale.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
In response to ALEX DEE ROKKET, my cat (a kitten) just pissed on a piece of newspaper - should I offer that as art? The grounds of modern art are blurred to basically give people (like punk/hardcore musicians) a shake at it, and let pretentious idiots see meaning where there is none. Picasso sold because he had a serious eye for the abstract, same as Dali, I could go on. To compare Burzum as art is an insult. A joke of the most vulgar kind. Some twit wailing his head off to a computer generated track, with pre recorded computer drums - give me a :applaus: :applaus: bucket. Varg is a joke, he has no talent, unless u call making noise, an actual talent. Like comparing Dali to my cat pissing on the newspaper.

This is what I mean, some people will react this way to Varg and his music. Some will dismiss it others will see it as art. As much as anyone tries to make a case for it - it is all relative to your own senses. How many times have you heard people of a different generation saying 'this is not music'. Heck they said it about Elvis, they said the same about The Beatles and so on. It was considered noise. Yes even bands you think are classic awesome and what not, someone will piss all over your parade and call them talentless caricatures. It is all relative.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:

This is what I mean, some people will react this way to Varg and his music. Some will dismiss it others will see it as art. As much as anyone tries to make a case for it - it is all relative to your own senses. How many times have you heard people of a different generation saying 'this is not music'. Heck they said it about Elvis, they said the same about The Beatles and so on. It was considered noise. Yes even bands you think are classic awesome and what not, someone will piss all over your parade and call them talentless caricatures. It is all relative.

Because Alex, some (wannebe artists) are without talent. Varg is shit. Absolute rubbish. If u think some wailing banshee to a computerized track is art, well, it gives art a bad name. You see, ART is TALENT, hence called ART - not the punk rock of ART. It takes talent to create, not make a racket. To understand the arts is a great thing. Try some Beethoven, believe me you'll puke after listening to and thinking Varg is an artist. A bit of Ludwig and u'll see where the metal came from. Not Varg Twaterness.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:

Because Alex, some (wannebe artists) are without talent. Varg is shit. Absolute rubbish. If u think some wailing banshee to a computerized track is art, well, it gives art a bad name. You see, ART is TALENT, hence called ART - not the punk rock of ART. It takes talent to create, not make a racket. To understand the arts is a great thing. Try some Beethoven, believe me you'll puke after listening to and thinking Varg is an artist. A bit of Ludwig and u'll see where the metal came from. Not Varg Twaterness.

Are you aware of the recording process that Varg employed to create his music?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Luckily art is not something that one single person has the final say on.

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:
In response to ALEX DEE ROKKET, my cat (a kitten) just pissed on a piece of newspaper - should I offer that as art? The grounds of modern art are blurred to basically give people (like punk/hardcore musicians) a shake at it, and let pretentious idiots see meaning where there is none. Picasso sold because he had a serious eye for the abstract, same as Dali, I could go on. To compare Burzum as art is an insult. A joke of the most vulgar kind. Some twit wailing his head off to a computer generated track, with pre recorded computer drums - give me a :applaus: :applaus: bucket. Varg is a joke, he has no talent, unless u call making noise, an actual talent. Like comparing Dali to my cat pissing on the newspaper.

I think we will just need to agree to disagree at this point. My case was not for Varg or Burzum but it was for the fact that art cannot be judged from an objective, absolute perspective; rather what is good, what is talent or lack of is both relative and subjective. All throughout history, what you may now call talent, what you may now call art was not viewed in the same way as you're trying to convince people on here - in an absolute and objective sense. All that you are saying is that you like something and that is fine, you are all within your right to like and dislike something. However, I wholeheartedly disagree with your stance that art can be judged, described, experienced, liked and by the same token dislike from a purely objective, black and white, right or wrong, good or bad perspective.

If the roles were reversed, and someone described [insert you favorite band name] with the same adjectives you are describing Burzum and Varg, would you then simply commit those people to poor judgement? to error? to lacking understanding? or would you not rather defend the art form itself for what it is, without prejudice and to be experienced by every individual as it is rightfully so?
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:28 pm

To be honest ALEX I'd prefer to be your friend, you wear me down with constant arguments. I agree, mate: can we call a truce, you win. headbanger
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Alex is a lawyer after all; it's his job to wear you down with arguments. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .   BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BURZUM? Can somebody explain to me what. . .
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next