Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

W.A.S.P.

Go down 
+24
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Chrome Locust
corplhicks
BearOnUnicycle
metalheaded
stormspell
Wurthless
Required Fields
80s Metal Lady
SpectreFate
Leatherface
kmorg
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
Alex Dee Rokket
mc666
Lurideath
journeyman
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
brokentulsa
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
Or maybe Burzum comes after them. I don't really know.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 pm

I've only ever listened to the debut and The Crimson Idol, but I love the shit out of both of 'em.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:32 am

Wurthless wrote:
I've only ever listened to the debut and The Crimson Idol, but I love the shit out of both of 'em.

Their two best albums by far. Always puzzles me when people say Headless Children is better than any of those two... I guess I'd never get it why
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 am

W.A.S.P. are excellent, but I currently only have the s/t (the original, before they added F*** Like An Animal as the first song), the 2-disc re-issue of Crimson Idol, and Babylon. I have no excuse for not having more of their albums other than the typical "too many CDs, not enough money" one. Lol...

But I love me some W.A.S.P. Excellent heavy metal. And I like Blackie's charisma, too...it's all part of it, man.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Headless Children and especially Crimson Idol are both desert island discs.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:49 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Haven't heard anything after KFD, but these two albums are the only WASP I enjoy. Their debut does nothing for me, one of the least original and inspired efforts I've heard from that era. But these two--talk about a shifting current.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:46 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
I have been replacing all my cassettes with Cd's as well as picking up all the albums I didn't have. This band is awesome. I don't find a bad album in the lot. Currently my favorite old band. Any other fans...

Yeah, man. Awesome band. More so Blackie (who is WASP), a serious poet. It is impossible to find a bad release by the W.A.S.P banner. Headless Children is my favourite album. My old man bought me this brand spanking new Sony all the rage Walkman for Xmas and the Headless Children tape to go in it. Walking down to my local boozer on Xmas eve (20 minute walk), 1991, freezing cold, I didn't want the walk to stop with Headless pumping through my ears. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:53 pm

corplhicks wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Haven't heard anything after KFD, but these two albums are the only WASP I enjoy. Their debut does nothing for me, one of the least original and inspired efforts I've heard from that era. But these two--talk about a shifting current.

Snob lol!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:15 pm

Chrome Locust wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Snob lol!

Iiiiiiiiii knowwwwwwww... don\'t know
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:00 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Chrome Locust wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Snob lol!

Iiiiiiiiii knowwwwwwww... don\'t know

My man.
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:05 pm

lol! lol! I sent the wrong URL to Corplhicks - too much beer, lol. It was supposed to be the Animal "F*ck Like a Beast" Video. Oh well, you got Focus instead. Heh, heh.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:08 pm

This store here, 33Star, carries this W.A.S.P. - "Got Blood?" shirt. Coolest one I've seen. But no mediums. I will be back a few weeks from now as I need a new W.A.S.P. shirt.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:33 pm

I actually had no use for WASP until I heard this one:
W.A.S.P. - Page 2 51TP0GCX5hL._SY300_

I've since dug into their back catalog and while I like some of the well enough I still think this is my favorite.

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Reading this thread, sounds like I need to take a listen to Crimson Idol.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:38 pm

I listened to some of the Headless Children. I liked what I heard.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:43 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Yep. That's my 2nd favorite after "Babylon"

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm

tohostudios wrote:
80s Metal Lady wrote:
Yep. That's my 2nd favorite after "Babylon"

Right now, their debut is still my favorite. I usually prefer '80s metal (hence my user name), but the Neon God CDs are incredible to me. They are probably my 2nd favorite of the W.A.S.P. albums I've heard so far.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 8:24 pm

ahh, it is warming to the OCI heart to see all of the W.A.S.P. love. Now if we could only get some more Stormwitch fans. Smile

I need to listen to 'Phantoms in the Mirror' with all the 'Crimson Idol' talk... what a sick b-side.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Quote :
Right now, their debut is still my favorite. I usually prefer '80s metal (hence my user name), but the Neon God CDs are incredible to me. They are probably my 2nd favorite of the W.A.S.P. albums I've heard so far.

I like the neon Gods albums also...the second the best. I also really like the first album and the electric circus album.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I actually had no use for WASP until I heard this one:
W.A.S.P. - Page 2 51TP0GCX5hL._SY300_

I've since dug into their back catalog and while I like some of the well enough I still think this is my favorite.

I have that one and the first two - no too much WASP inbetween
Back to top Go down
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:08 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I listened to some of the Headless Children. I liked what I heard.

You won't to stop listening, brother. Welcome to WASP.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:44 pm

I really like how diverse WASP's catalog is because when you look at other bands of the same era they kinda stopped at one style and most when trying to diversify it lost fans and went downhill.

The first 3 WASP albums are classics and I think basically anyone who is a WASP fan at least appreciates what the Self-Titled, Last Command and Inside the Electric Circus are all about - and to me they were more fun-shock-filled metal albums.

Of the first three, the self-titled and Electric Circus are my favorite. Last Command has some very awesome songs too but it feels like a bit middle of the road, I guess it was because it kinda acts like a bridge between the in your face style of the self-titled debut and the more commercial direction of Electric Circus.

The Headless Children is very hit and miss for me. I do not wish to criticize this album too much because it was WASP's first attempt at tackling more mature, serious, and at times dark themes. My only reservation is that the production is very odd on this album - for 1980s album everything seems way too high in the mix, the album sounds almost devoid of any dynamics and ambiance, it's just all loud and screaming right in your face. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this? I must confess, this is one of the few imo poorly produced WASP albums. I have always had an issue with the production of this album and that's prevented me from fully appreciating the songwriting.

The Crimson Idol is a truly awesome album. If you look away from the Headless Children and just focus on where WASP came from, this album is almost like listening to a totally different band. The songwriting is dark, mature and Blackie's delivery is soaring with emotion. This album, probably along side Queensryche's Mindcrime, shows how metal grew in the 1980s and how it branched out beyond the traditional 3 - 4 minute, double-bass, guitar solo format.

What followed is a mixed bag often good and all too often neglected in the United States due to the rise of grunge and alternative music that just erased all trace of heavy metal music from popular American culture - at least from the view of the public - relegating it to a fixture in time of the 1980s and nothing more. What a shame!

For WASP much like for many metal bands that had success in the 80s, the 90s were a confusing time. Still Not Black Enough was a great album that is a spiritual successor to both Headless Children and Crimson Idol but that the wider American public knew sh!t all about. This album is up there with Blackie's 80s classics and deserves as much credit. It is easily one of my favorites.

KFD and Helldorado are a confusing phase for WASP. Neither managed to capture my interest and at least KFD is just a sign of the mid-90s. However, all this changes in the early 00s when Blackie returned with Unholy Terror and Dying For the World - that was imo the rebirth of the late 80s WASP - fast, aggressive traditional sounding heavy metal for the 21st century.

I think the last decade has seen WASP on a roll. I loved both Dominator and Babylon. The Neon God is slightly hit and miss but far from horrible.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Great band. Blackie has a tremendous voice. I love most of the catalog, especially the debut, Headless Children, and the Crimson Idol. I generally despise concept albums, but the Crimson Idol is excellent. Of the latter day material, I really liked Unholy Terror and Dying For the World.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 pm

Again, haven't heard anything after KFD, but WASP albums in general seem to have a very bizarre and hollow tone to the mix. Not terrible, just odd.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: W.A.S.P.   W.A.S.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

W.A.S.P.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: