Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collecting... how far do we go?

Go down 
+22
Tall Tyrion
journeyman
SideShowDisaSter
arttieTHE1manparty
Wargod
ensiferum2k
sovdat
krokus
AchrisK
7thSecond
Shiney
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Smindas
ultmetal
scottmitchell74
ghost
Thrasher73
mc666
Chairman_Smith
Igor
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:31 pm

For me it depends in the artist for instance when it come to Primal Fear I collect everything I can from them posters cards, patches, cds rare items.

Overkill is another one, Annihilator is another, Tommy Bolin.

If you love the artist/band why not eventually you may not find certain items!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Quote :
I'm pretty anal with certain bands. I buy everything and anything I can find by them. CDs, vinyls, singles, DVDs, bootlegs, etc. Other bands I may own their whole official catalog but am not really all that concerned with the other stuff.

This is me EXACTLY. If it is Great White, you can safely bet I own it all...including non-music items. Musically, I am much the same with some other bands, like WASP, Ratt, KIX, and a lot of Christian metal bands. Since I am a huge demo collector, I tend to have a lot of rare stuff others don't.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 9:46 pm

AchrisK wrote:
For 95+% of bands I only own the ones I like.

That's pretty much me as well. With some bands I'll buy whatever I can find, but I won't really go out of my way to do so. Live albums are lost on me, as I don't really care for them that much.

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Collecting is for wimps! I usually listen to the same Ashley Simpleson cd over and over and over....
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 10:14 pm

kmorg wrote:
I used to be totally anal with Metallica and KISS. I bought everything from dolls to 7" singles. But when Metallica and Maiden started to released 3-5 different version of each single, I stopped. Sold all my vinyl, and most of my CD singles. Now I am content to buy all the studio albums, live albums and compilations. I do buy some EP's and singles, if they include something extra.

Same here. I used to collect everything I could from the bands I liked. Nowadays I'm lucky if I have all their studio releases. I usually don't go for live albums, but lately I am finding that live albums often bring a new dimension to the songs so I make a point to buy the live album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 10:44 pm

I collect all manner of metal from the 80s to early 90s. I'm on a quest to own it all. Every release from every single band, no matter how obscure or average they may be (I try to snap up demos too when I can -- especially if the band never made a full-length release and it's the only way to hear 'em.) Thrash, speed, NWOBHM, traditional, power, death... There is no end to the madness. 🤘 These are however mostly mp3s, Embarassed -- I just don't have the time/patience of a collector as I once used to. Or money either.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 11:33 pm

For me, I am such a Great White completist, I even have multiple versions of singles! It doesn't even matter if the singles have extra tracks on them. For albums, if there is a cover variation, I have them all...I have 4 versions of Hooked, for example, and 3 versions of Stages. I then spin-off into the individual artists solo recordings as well...and that still doesn't include all the posters, 8 x 10's, shirts, DVD's, guitar picks, pins, buttons, tour itineraries, promo items, and tour books I can find. Heck, even my mousepad is of Great White! LOL! In all honesty, it has become obsession-like to try to find something I DON'T have. But that is the only band I go to that extreme with...

I guess Ultimatum is close, since I have albums, compilation projects, pictures, picks, ticket stubs, shirts, a drum head, drumstick, demos, autographs, etc.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 11:36 pm

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
For me, I am such a Great White completist, I even have multiple versions of singles! But that is the only band I go to that extreme with...

And I remember when you posted that you were "going to try to complete your Great White collection"
lol!
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 11:41 pm

LOL! Well, I actually don't have ANY studio albums left to get, no live albums, no import-only albums (just got the Euro-version of Back To The Rhythm), and no EP's. I also think I have all of the greatest hits packages that are available. All that are left are a couple of import singles and some ultra-rare vinyl...at least musically. There will likely be a lot of shirts to hunt down, but they are getting fewer all the time.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 11:42 pm

I'll have to post a picture of my Great White CD collection sometime...

Arttie
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 11:43 pm

Use a wide angle lens. 🤘
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 11:44 pm

Yeah...panoramic view or something!

Arttie
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 3:02 am

I buy the complete discography and any and all greatest hits and usually the remasters/rereleases if they have bonus tracks. THe only thing I won't purchase is the money grubbing record executive ordered greatest hits such as: Priest's "Prisoner's of Pain" GH or th "Living after Midnight" one. Pretty useless in my opinion.
I don't have alot of cd singles or bootlegs only because they are not readily available in my area and I don't really trust the internet for alot of things. Sad
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 3:06 am

I forgot to add that if the price is right it makes a big difference. Example: I have an original Satriani "Surfing with the Alien" cd from 1986 and a remaster from like 2000 or so. It just got rereleased again with a dvd as a bonus for like $24 or so. I would like to have it, but do I need a third version of this cd? scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 3:28 am

The question remains: What happens to all this crap when we die?
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 5:35 am

Eyesore wrote:

When I go deaf or after I die, whichever comes first, it'll be shipped to the local university library. I'm sure most people by then will have thrown out all their cds. There has to be someone out there interested in our music 50 years from now
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 7:37 am

Eyesore wrote:

Speak for yourself, I intend to live forever.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 5:18 pm

I mostly just stick with full lengths and live albums and sometimes DVDs. For years I've been focused on getting a variety of of bands so full collections have not been a priority unless it's Maiden, Savatage, and a few others that I've loved for years or those with a shorter library. Before I became a Christian and stupidly got rid of many CDs I had the full length collections of King Diamond, Testament, Sepultura, and others. Unfortunatly with newer musical tastes and a limited income and high credit card debt lengthening my collections of certain bands has been put on the backburner so with those aforementioned bands I have just gotten my favorites and greatest hits and/or live albums. Once I have a steady income though I plan on lengthening as well as expanding my collection.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39655

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Seed of Pain wrote:
Okay this must be familiar to most people here. How far do you go to complete your collection of certain artists or in general for that matter?

Do you limit yourself to the official full length cds? Do you also buy all of their cd-singles/eps/dvds/videos/bootlegs? Do you have everything on vinyl as well?

I know for a fact that I like to be very complete when it comes to my collecting habits. I buy tons of cd-singles just for the one or two unreleased extra tracks and if I find anything on vinyl I will probably buy it as well.

I am curious how complete all of you want to be Smile

I'm the same except for the vinyl,dvds,videos,or bootlegs. That stuff just doesn't interest me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 3:26 am

Yesterday I decided that I am not going to expand my musicroom.... which basically means that if stuff doesn't fit in there anymore I am going to get rid of some other stuff. I still have some space left but I am already dreading the day that I have to sort out parts of the collection!
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 7:17 am

You have an entire room, which is just for your music stuff?? :o
Perhaps it's time to re-do the "post a picture of your collection" topic Smile
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 12:32 pm

I mostly collect vinyl, and there are quite a few bands that I'm actively persuing every pressing variation of every album/single/bootleg/compilation they've released. It's a frustrating and expensive task to be sure, but I'm pretty patient, and I've had some unbelievable records simply fall into my lap for ridiculously low prices. My only problem is that I'm running out of room to store my collection!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collecting... how far do we go?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2