Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collecting... how far do we go?

Go down 
+22
Tall Tyrion
journeyman
SideShowDisaSter
arttieTHE1manparty
Wargod
ensiferum2k
sovdat
krokus
AchrisK
7thSecond
Shiney
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Smindas
ultmetal
scottmitchell74
ghost
Thrasher73
mc666
Chairman_Smith
Igor
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Collecting... how far do we go? Empty
PostSubject: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 6:13 am

Okay this must be familiar to most people here. How far do you go to complete your collection of certain artists or in general for that matter?

Do you limit yourself to the official full length cds? Do you also buy all of their cd-singles/eps/dvds/videos/bootlegs? Do you have everything on vinyl as well?

I know for a fact that I like to be very complete when it comes to my collecting habits. I buy tons of cd-singles just for the one or two unreleased extra tracks and if I find anything on vinyl I will probably buy it as well.

I am curious how complete all of you want to be Smile
Back to top Go down
Igor
Metal student
Metal student
Igor

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 6:22 am

Same thing here, but no vinyls...pirat
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 6:29 am

I usually consider it a complete discography if I have all the studio albums and EPs. But if I see something like a live album or a bootleg I don't have I buy it.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 7:00 am

i only go for full length studio releases. occasionally a live album or ep.

i was never into dvd, video, or bootlegs for the most part.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 7:36 am

mc666 wrote:

Same here
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 7:51 am

mc666 wrote:

Same with me. I have only few DVDs, because I don't have time to watch them. A CD I can listen in the car, while working, with the iPod, when and where ever I want to. Singles have the drawback that it is to short. If I am in a mood to listen to a band, then I want to listen to a complete album
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:07 am

Same here....In fact, I'm not what you'd call a collector. I sort of used to be but got tired of keeping junk just because of the name on the front. SO, I don't "collect" but just buy what I think is the best music and trade/sell what falls flat even if it's a historyically favorite band of mine.....

I don't have too many CDs, anyhow, and I don't want to get TOO many as I'll feel like I'm somehow neglecting my music listening wise if I have too many at any one time....
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:10 am

Seed of Pain wrote:
Okay this must be familiar to most people here. How far do you go to complete your collection of certain artists or in general for that matter?

Do you limit yourself to the official full length cds? Do you also buy all of their cd-singles/eps/dvds/videos/bootlegs? Do you have everything on vinyl as well?

I know for a fact that I like to be very complete when it comes to my collecting habits. I buy tons of cd-singles just for the one or two unreleased extra tracks and if I find anything on vinyl I will probably buy it as well.

I'm pretty anal with certain bands. I buy everything and anything I can find by them. CDs, vinyls, singles, DVDs, bootlegs, etc. Other bands I may own their whole official catalog but am not really all that concerned with the other stuff. It's an obsessive and expensive hobby for sure. Nice thing about CD/record collecting is that you can always sell your hobby and make a lot of your money back, if not more.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:47 am

I generally tend to just stick to full length studio albums. There's only a few bands I buy EPs and singles from as well as DVDs, and that's just because I really like those bands.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 8:56 am

I tend to stick to studio albums and live CDs from certain favorite bands... singles, EPs, DVDs, etc. just take up too much damn space. (and like ghost said, I never have time to watch DVDs anyway ... I think I own a total of 3 music DVDs and they just sit on the shelf collecting dust...)

Last edited by on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 9:39 am

mc666 wrote:

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. At one time I was buying the videos, but I never had time to watch them and eventually sold 'em. The few music dvd's I have now are ones I got free from work. And will probably be sold off soon too.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 9:41 am

ultmetal wrote:
Seed of Pain wrote:

I'm pretty anal with certain bands. I buy everything and anything I can find by them. CDs, vinyls, singles, DVDs, bootlegs, etc. Other bands I may own their whole official catalog but am not really all that concerned with the other stuff. It's an obsessive and expensive hobby for sure. Nice thing about CD/record collecting is that you can always sell your hobby and make a lot of your money back, if not more.

Have fun finishing Deep Purple's ahahaha, i was looking for Judas Priest's Live In London and apparently Purple is making a Live In London.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 1:26 pm

I used to be totally anal with Metallica and KISS. I bought everything from dolls to 7" singles. But when Metallica and Maiden started to released 3-5 different version of each single, I stopped. Sold all my vinyl, and most of my CD singles. Now I am content to buy all the studio albums, live albums and compilations. I do buy some EP's and singles, if they include something extra.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 1:34 pm

[quote="kmorg"]I used to be totally anal with Metallica and KISS. quote]

The image this brought to my mind....will take days maybe even weeks to get rid of.... Mad sick Laughing

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 1:36 pm

[quote="Shiney"]
kmorg wrote:
I used to be totally anal with Metallica and KISS. quote]

The image this brought to my mind....will take days maybe even weeks to get rid of.... Mad sick Laughing

lol! Good my English is not.

Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 1:40 pm

Depends on the band. Some I buy anything I see. Others I buy just what I feel I need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 1:48 pm

As for what I collect from a certain band, it all depends on how well my OCD meds are working. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 2:06 pm

Well up until now I used to go and get everything I could, take Savatage for example, there is at least 80 items in their collection that I have, it is boardering on insanity but what the hell.

with most other bands I'm happy collecting albums, EP's, Singles, Live albums & Best of's .....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 4:34 pm

I'm basically only concerned with buying enough releases to get every song the band has released. That's why I generally don't care about original versus reissue. If the reissue is remastered with exclusive bonus tracks, then I'll upgrade, or just buy that version if I don't already own the original.

I like singles and vinyl and EPs, and all that nonsense, but I won't go out of my way looking for it if I already have everything that's on it. But if I can find it cheap, yeah, I'll snatch it up. I do have exceptions, though, for some of my most favorite bands. But my tastes are so broad that if I tried to be an insane completist with every band I liked, I'd be financially ruined! Haha.

I also don't care about bootlegs and non-musical items like dolls and crap. But again, if I come across them cheap (under $5), I'll grab them.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 pm

For 95+% of bands I only own the ones I like.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Of some bands i buy everything they release, on vinyl, cd´s, dvd´s, t-shirts, singles, etc......and of others i buy just the cd´s but when ever i can find a maxi single by them i will buy it too, not specialy for the special tracks, but just for the cover.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 5:32 pm

So, as you can see, we're a dysfuntional bunch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 5:35 pm

...and my therapist put me on meds.

Hell, I am COMPLETELY normal! Smile
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 5:39 pm

If it's up to smaller bands (from back in the day), then I try to get all the major releases - albums, EPs, live albums and a single if it exists. For bigger bands like Metallica or Priest, I'm fine with having just the most important releases - full lengths and maybe some live album ... But I'd buy an old Metallica single immediately if I'd find it for few bucks ...
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2007 6:21 pm

For a band that i love i'll get everything i can on the cd/dvd format. priest, for example, i own 95% of their cd/dvd output and am trying to own it all.

For the majority of the bands i'll get all the good full lengths, and an ep or dvd, if they're cheap. All I care about is having a good sounding version of their full lenghts. sometimes I can buy the good reissues from a band and get all their eps in the process. love that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collecting... how far do we go?   Collecting... how far do we go? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collecting... how far do we go?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next