Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Empty
PostSubject: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 12:47 am

The short version is this:

Lately I have been streaming Slacker Radio. I set up my station of choice based around UFO in sound. Very cool. I have been introduced to some new bands that I have heard of but not heard before or heard very little that are totally AWESOME!! Angel, Zebra, early Helix, Diamond Head, Alcatrazz, Montrose, MSG, lots of UFO, etc. Anyway, A band came on called Coney Hatch that have a great sound and other than a paragraph on Wikipedia, I can't find anything about these guys. Can you help me out?
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:23 am

Coney Hatch were a rock radio staple up here in Canada in the eighties. I saw Coney Hatch live a number of times in the early eighties - once opening for Judas Priest on the Screaming For Vengeance tour in 1982; then opening for Iron Maiden (and Fastway) in 1983 on the Piece Of Mind tour; and in a club a few years later.
All three of their albums are great, but the first two are the best. Top notch Canadian hard rock. They are due to have their fourth release here in 2013 with Frontiers Records.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:32 am

Nice! One thing that stood out to me was that they really did not sound like a clone of anyone that I have heard.

I know of and like Helix quite a bit and I like what I have heard from Triumph. It seems that very little Canadian rock makes it down here.

I found 3 albums on Amazon for a couple of bones each, so pretty affordable.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 8:31 am

Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal 220px-Coney_hatch
Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal 220px-Outtahand

I only have these two on vinyl

A lil research shows that both were remastered with bonus tracks in 2005 and 2006

I didn'y find much on the third album "Friction" (below)
Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Friction

I think they are more akin to April Wine myself and believe a guy from this band played with them in latter version of that band ?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Yeah, the guitarist, who also spent some time in a re-vamped version of the Guess Who... according to wrongapedia, anyway.
Back to top Go down
trock67
Metal novice
Metal novice
trock67

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 10:49 pm

I really like the first Coney Hatch album. The others, not so much. "Devil's Deck" is one of my all time favorite metal songs.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:41 pm

I love the first album (S/T)! Outta Hand was ok and Friction was a bit better IMO. I got to see them in a small club setting in Pittsburgh back in the early 80s. They were touring in support of their first album. Good show and band!

I also heard they have regrouped to do a new CD for Frontiers. I'm Looking forward to hearing what Carl Dixon and boys come up with!

Like Trock67, I love Devil's Deck. Also love Monkey Bars from the S/T debut as well. I believe Aldo Nova wrote 'Hey Operator' from that CDl...
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 pm

I am now on the prowl for these albums. What I have heard sounds great. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal   Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slacking on the 70's and 80's metal
Page 1 of 1