Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection

Go down 
+18
chewie
martinsane
jstate
James B.
MetalGuy71
Lari
David Panzer
Gryphon-kl
manny
nevermore
SpectreFate
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
tohostudios
Witchfinder
asgard1980
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
asgard1980
Metal novice
Metal novice
asgard1980

Number of posts : 27

How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Empty
PostSubject: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Hello,

I´d like to know how you sort your collection.

I have sorted my CDs on the alphabetically way
And when I have 2 or more albums of a band I sort them chronlogically

Do you have the same system or do you sort like:

Subgenres (All Hardrock, Power, Death, Thrash)
Date of Buying
colours of the covers :-)
or else.

?
Back to top Go down
http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/asgard1980
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Alphabetically. It's the only way I could find anything.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Mostly alphabetically.

Where I make an exception is when a band member releases a solo album. Generally I file the band member's solo albums after the rest of the albums by the band. For instance, I have Ian Anderson's solo CDs filed right after Jethro Tull.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 7:35 pm

I don't, I like chaos.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Alphabetically by band name.

For bands with a lot of releases, their section is arranged in order of release year.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

For bands with a lot of releases, their section is arranged in order of release year.
By release year????

OK, suddenly I don't feel so anal retentive.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

By release year????

Well yeah. First KISS album is first in their section, followed by their 2nd, then their 3rd, yadda yadda yadda.

Is that really that weird? I just assumed everyone did it that way. surprised

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

By release year????

Well yeah. First KISS album is first in their section, followed by their 2nd, then their 3rd, yadda yadda yadda.

Is that really that weird? I just assumed everyone did it that way. How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection 685534
Not me. Alphabetically is enough to let me find what I need. Within each band's albums I couldn't care less what order the CDs are filed.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

By release year????

I do it the same way. Why would you go through the time to put everything in order if your not going to go all the way and put them in release order too?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:52 pm

I take the third letter of the band's name and then subtract 2 letters from that and subtract THAT from the second letter.

For example:

Alice Cooper

I becomes G(7) - L(12) = E(5)

So Alice Cooper would be placed in the E section.

Very simple formula.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 9:05 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I take the third letter of the band's name and then subtract 2 letters from that and subtract THAT from the second letter.

For example:

Alice Cooper

I becomes G(7) - L(12) = E(5)

So Alice Cooper would be placed in the E section.

Very simple formula.
How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection 201269

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 pm

lol! Yea that works too

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

By release year????

Is that really that weird? I just assumed everyone did it that way. How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection 685534

I do it the same way. Why would you go through the time to put everything in order if your not going to go all the way and put them in release order too?
Because once I narrow it down by band I can find what I need. Maybe if some band I liked had released 100 albums I'd feel the need to put them in release order too but until then, if I can get to the band's albums in the rack, I don't care what order they're in.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm

hahaha yea it doesn't really matter its just kind of being anal about it which I am when it comes to arranging my stuff. Its just easier for me too look for things that way.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 pm

I've often said that the only thing in my life that's truly organized is my CD collection...

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 pm

[quote="tohostudios"]
Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

By release year????

My collection is done like this as well.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 pm

[quote="nevermore"]
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

By release year????

Me too. I also put tribute albums with the artist that the tribute is dedicated to. I file compilations by title name though. So Metal For Muthas is under M.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

same here
Back to top Go down
Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Like just about everyone else, alphabetically by band name, then chronologically. Compilations are in a section after everything else, sorted alphabetically by title.
Back to top Go down
David Panzer
Metal novice
Metal novice
David Panzer

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 1:41 am

For the bands: Alphabetical by band name. Chronological for each band.

For the soundtracks: By movie/tv/video game title.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 5:24 am

By genre. I try to fit European power metal in one tower, thrash metal in another, NWOBHM in another etc. Obviously it doesn't work out that well so it's a bit of a mess. But I usually have a pretty good hunch where I can find the disc I'm looking for.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 9:48 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

By release year????

Ditto here too. Alphabetical, then chronoglogical. All tribute albums go under 'T', whereas various artists on comp albums go under 'V'. Unless it's a soundtrack, which go under 'S'.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39580

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 10:34 am

[quote="nevermore"]
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

By release year????

Same here.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 am

I'm normal when it comes to this stuff

Alphabetical...
Chronological...
Soundtracks by title....ect. ect.

My Ipod plays songs in alphabetical order by song title. More interesting that way (IMHDO)

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 pm

I gave up a long time ago trying to alphabetize everything. Now I organize around genre for the most part when shelving. I also have a system for new stuff I get. I call it my "on-deck circle" around my computer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection   How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you sort your CD/ Vinyl collection
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Collector's Corner-
Jump to: