Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you think about tablets being used in schools?

Go down 
+16
Sutekh
DallasBlack
Lari
brokentulsa
chewie
Dark Horseman
exact33
manny
Hadley
Addy
Fat Freddy
James B.
bassman
scottmitchell74
kmorg
jennyy
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am

exact33 wrote:
James B. wrote:
I hear ya OCI...Took my kids out of public system and home schooled.

and I know that isn't something every family is able to do.

same here but we never started them in public school. And I totally second that not every family is equipped or able to do so.

With home schooling, do you worry about the kids social skills? I've met (and worked with one) adults that were home schooled as kids and they're either socially awkward or just straight-up weird (the guy I worked with).

Quote :
She is from the back hollers of West Virginia (striaght up hillbilly as they come) and did a wonderful job.

By West Virginia hillbilly standards? just kidding

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

With home schooling, do you worry about the kids social skills? I've met (and worked with one) adults that were home schooled as kids and they're either socially awkward or just straight-up weird (the guy I worked with).

They had experienced the public system till they entered junior high. We lived in No. Calif. and the entire dynamic between elementary and secondary schools were huge. They had to wear uniforms in elementary to make the whole color thing with clothing a non issue. We placed them in sporting leagues that the city had available. Pop Warner football, softball, little league, soccer, swiming/diving, ect. so they got to interact with kids their age. I have friends who home schooled and sheltered the kids to a fault. When they turned 18, they went hog wild doing all the stuff the parents over protection forbid them to do.

Before folks began to conglomerate in cities, famalies did okay teaching thier kids adequate skills to function in society. I felt the "social skills" they'd learn in the public school system of metropolitan California would mess them up. The other students were one issue, but the means by which teachers and administration try to dictate and interfere with family life in the home away from school was the main reason why we chose to do what we did. I am sure other board members here who are from California may know what I am talking about.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Sutekh wrote:
But, I am a person who happens to like holding books, actually turning pages and spending time reflecting on issues from a range of perspectives -none of which is favoured by the technology prevalent today.
FREAK! lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

I only ask because of the limited experience I've had interacting with "home schoolers" (adults and children) has been, ahem, putting it politely as possible...odd. I don't know anything about their personal backgrounds, homelife, religious beliefs, etc. so maybe that's a factor.

Growing up in a big city where regular schools, (both private & public) are the norm, home schooling seems weird to me. And I've got allot of educators in my family (wife, brother, sister-in-law, ex-sister-in-law), so home schooling was never even considdred an option for my young'uns.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 2:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I only ask because of the limited experience I've had interacting with "home schoolers" (adults and children) has been, ahem, putting it politely as possible...odd. I don't know anything about their personal backgrounds, homelife, religious beliefs, etc. so maybe that's a factor.

Growing up in a big city where regular schools, (both private & public) are the norm, home schooling seems weird to me. And I've got allot of educators in my family (wife, brother, sister-in-law, ex-sister-in-law), so home schooling was never even considdred an option for my young'uns.

Like I said, have experienced the "oddness" as well.

No offense to educators as a whole. Just in California where I lived, the school was taking too much liberty in how they thought a child should be reaised at home. They are there to teach children. Not be the parent, be detrimental to my beliefs. morals and values placed on my children, and butt their noses into the homelife of children and their parents. I realize this isn't any national rampant epidemic or anything. Just what I experienced. Being a parent is difficult enough without educators throwing in a monkee wrench cause they think it should be done different, better, or whatever reason they do it.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Our school system isn't anything to crow about either, so I understand that people have to explore many options these days.

When I was a kid, I was raised a Catholic, so going to a Catholic school was really the only option. Public schools weren't even a considderation for my parents and home schooling was something the Amish did.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm

James B. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

They had experienced the public system till they entered junior high. We lived in No. Calif. and the entire dynamic between elementary and secondary schools were huge. They had to wear uniforms in elementary to make the whole color thing with clothing a non issue. We placed them in sporting leagues that the city had available. Pop Warner football, softball, little league, soccer, swiming/diving, ect. so they got to interact with kids their age. I have friends who home schooled and sheltered the kids to a fault. When they turned 18, they went hog wild doing all the stuff the parents over protection forbid them to do.

Before folks began to conglomerate in cities, famalies did okay teaching thier kids adequate skills to function in society. I felt the "social skills" they'd learn in the public school system of metropolitan California would mess them up. The other students were one issue, but the means by which teachers and administration try to dictate and interfere with family life in the home away from school was the main reason why we chose to do what we did. I am sure other board members here who are from California may know what I am talking about.
We home school all four of our kids. I'm always asked the question, "Well what about social development." I answer the same way every time. "Yes, that's the number one reason we home school." As if putting them around hundreds of the worst kids in every county and town, day in and day out for 12-13 years is the key to social development.

Home schooling is a huge sacrifice and a huge commitment. People have no clue unless they've been there. Have I seen some stupid home school kids...weird ones? Sure. I wonder how many freaky, stupid, psychopathic kids come out of the public school system? Millions?

I went to public school, many great kids GO to public school. I don't sit around and think, "how could their parents do that to them?" It's amazing how much judgement is cast down on homeschool families, from families who have no idea what their kids are learning in school or couldn't care in the least either way. BUT THEY KNOW HOMESCHOOLING IS BAD! SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT DON'T YOU KNOW!!!

I digress. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Quitting school at 16 and getting my G.E.D. was the preferable option to remaining in the rural West Virginia school system that was my only option at the time in the 1980s. My guidance counselor told my Mother that she should either send me to private school in the city (which we couldn't afford), home school me or let me quit and get my G.E.D. when I turned 18. Financial situation made us go with option 3.

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 5:10 pm

S.D. wrote:
Quitting school at 16 and getting my G.E.D. was the preferable option to remaining in the rural West Virginia school system that was my only option at the time in the 1980s. My guidance counselor told my Mother that she should either send me to private school in the city (which we couldn't afford), home school me or let me quit and get my G.E.D. when I turned 18. Financial situation made us go with option 3.

I know several kids doing that right now and it's great to have that option. I have a 13 year old on pace to graduate at 16. Yikes!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 6:06 pm

And hell no, tablets shouldn't be allowed in school. I pay taxes to the public school in my district, which we do not go to, and they SUPPLY kindles and nooks for all kids. It's a joke.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 6:15 pm

When I was in school......tablets were what blotter acid replaced. Thus my interest in mushrooms and peyote buttons insane

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 am

James B. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Homeschooling in my area is very popular - a lot of folks do not like the public school system's teaching so there is a large community of homeschoolers who regularly get together. I dont worry about the socialization either - we have both our kids playing sports in leagues, doing field trips with other homeschoolers, singing in church choir and other church activities with kids their age. They also play with the kids in the neighborhood so they get a good amount of social interaction. I know a lot of people who were homeschooled and while there are a few oddballs, its not the norm.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about tablets being used in schools?   What do you think about tablets being used in schools? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you think about tablets being used in schools?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3