Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Is This Not...

Go down 
+7
Fat Freddy
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
SpectreFate
DallasBlack
tohostudios
Eyesore
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 am

Saigon Kick?

I heard this song the day before New Year's in New York, before I headed out for my honeymoon. I totally thought it was a new Saigon Kick tune until the DJ said it was Shinedown.

Kind of bummed it was a new Saigon Kick tune, but I also kind of dig it. Might need to pick up some Shinedown albums now.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 am

I LOVE that Shinedown album and for me, that's one of the weaker songs on it.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 am

I'll second that album. With Shinedown and Pop Evil, I'm starting to have more faith in modern rock.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 am

I actually listened to samples of Pop Evil the other night on Amazon. Not bad, but the songs didn't seem all that strong. I'd yank it from a used bin for like $3.99, though.

So, Toho, you recommend Shinedown? The only song I recall hearing from the before is that song about the gun or whatever from their first album. Has the singer always sounded like Matt Kramer?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:32 am

I never made the SK connection but now that you mention it I do hear similarities. And yes I especially recommend Amaryllis and The Sound Of Madness. I had more trouble getting into the first one though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:45 am

tohostudios wrote:
I never made the SK connection but now that you mention it I do hear similarities. And yes I especially recommend Amaryllis and The Sound Of Madness. I had more trouble getting into the first one though.
Yeah, he definitely sounds exactly like Kramer at times.

Anyway, I'll check them out. I love this kind of modern rock. Someday I might even buy a Nickelback CD. I've been tempted. =)
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:46 am

Quote :
Someday I might even buy a Nickelback CD

Now you've gone too far.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 am

Skip Nickleback but pick up Sound of Madness, I almost guarantee you'll like it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:12 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Now you've gone too far.
I know! Everyone hates them, but I'm not sure I've heard a bad song from them. Sure, like most of this kind of music, it's rather paint-by-numbers, but they can write a damn good song.

If I can be a big fan of 3 Doors Down, be contemplating buying some Shinedown CDs, why not Nickelback? What's the difference?

Can anyone even tell me why they're so hated?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Chad Kroeger is why. Man, if you like them go for it, we'll mock you incessantly of course but who cares?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Interesting really does sound lie something they would do. btw Saigon Kick is back up and running again.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Eyesore wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Now you've gone too far.
I know! Everyone hates them, but I'm not sure I've heard a bad song from them. Sure, like most of this kind of music, it's rather paint-by-numbers, but they can write a damn good song.

If I can be a big fan of 3 Doors Down, be contemplating buying some Shinedown CDs, why not Nickelback? What's the difference?

arent they from Canada? Laughing

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Quote :

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate how fake they are. It's like a cardboard cutout of a band. They have these sweet little radio hits that make the girls squirm and then make sure there's at least one or two songs on their albums that "rock" to keep the guys interested. It's the same formula with a lot of modern country bands, just without the twang. I don't see any integrity in the band, and for that I have no respect for them. But you like what you like. You can't help that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Quote :
It's like a cardboard cutout of a band. They have these sweet little radio hits that make the girls squirm and then make sure there's at least one or two songs on their albums that "rock" to keep the guys interested.

They're kinda like a 21st century version of Def Leppard. Which might explain why Eyesore is so tempted to buy their stuff. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Quote :
]Can anyone even tell me why they're so hated?

Every cycle in popular music has its own "harder edged" superstar poster boys

The 70's had Styx and Foriegner, ect. ect.
The 80's had Bon Jovi and Poison, ect. ect.
The 90's had Creed and Matchbox 20, ect. ect.
and then you have Three Doors Down, Nickleback, and Shinedown, ect. ect.

In each case scenario, at the time "rocker dudes/metal heads" despised each of these bands but a decade or so later. It became either cool to like them in retrospect or musical tatses changed enough for them/us to recognize they wrote catchy tunes.

My opinion

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 pm

James B. wrote:

In each case scenario, at the time "rocker dudes/metal heads" despised each of these bands but a decade or so later. It became either cool to like them in retrospect or musical tatses changed enough for them/us to recognize they wrote catchy tunes.

My opinion

What do you know, you haven't lived! Wink
Back to top Go down

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 pm

James B. wrote:

Aside from Foreigner they ALL suck. Hated them then, hate them now, will hate them in 10 years. Razz

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate how fake they are. It's like a cardboard cutout of a band. They have these sweet little radio hits that make the girls squirm and then make sure there's at least one or two songs on their albums that "rock" to keep the guys interested. It's the same formula with a lot of modern country bands, just without the twang. I don't see any integrity in the band, and for that I have no respect for them. But you like what you like. You can't help that.

I was fine with the Canadian reason, but this explaination works for me too.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:

Aside from Foreigner they ALL suck. Hated them then, hate them now, will hate them in 10 years. Razz

There are exceptions to everything.

I am honest enough to admit that even though I may say a band sucks, it doesn't mean that they cannot write a good song here n there.

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 pm

James B. wrote:

I am honest enough to admit that even though I may say a band sucks, it doesn't mean that they cannot write a good song here n there.

I agree. For example there is a single Styx song that I like, "Renegade"
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:

I agree. For example there is a single Styx song that I like, "Renegade"

That's hilarious Shawn Laughing very hard

I was waiting your reply and intended to use that exact tune as an example.

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 1:02 pm

James B. wrote:

I was waiting your reply and intended to use that exact tune as an example.

Not having Dennis DeAnnoying on lead vocals really helps that tune. Razz
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Chad Kroeger is why. Man, if you like them go for it, we'll mock you incessantly of course but who cares?
But what has Chad Kroeger done?
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Speaking of modern rock, I really loved this album. Although I see how fans of the band members involved could be disappointing.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
I was fine with the Canadian reason, but this explaination works for me too.
Not for me. I'm not sure how anyone can accuse them of being fake when they've been playing this style their entire career.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How Is This Not... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Is This Not...   How Is This Not... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Is This Not...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: