Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?

Go down 
+6
exact33
Dark Horseman
SpectreFate
jettafiend
mc666
James B.
10 posters

Do you think Brian Johnson wrote the lyrics and vocal melodies for Back In Black ?
Yes
What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_lcap6%What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
No
What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_lcap12%What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Some
What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_lcap35%What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_rcap
 35% [ 6 ]
Don't Care
What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_lcap24%What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_rcap
 24% [ 4 ]
Never Thought About It Before
What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_lcap23%What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Vote_rcap
 23% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Empty
PostSubject: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 4:47 pm

This has been something I've always wondered about. Bon died on Feb, 19th 1980. Back In Black was released July 25th and recorded from April to May of same year. It is no secret that pre-production with Bon had been started before his death. Seems odd that everything with Bon was kicked to the curb with his passing....AC/DC scans the globe for a replacement....One is found and they write and record a new album from scratch, start to finish in less than three months time.

The biggest head scratcher of all is listen to the vocal melodies and lyrics on the Back In Black album. Listen to melodies and lyrics on the previous albums with Bon, then do likewise with the subsequent albums with Brian afterwards. The Back In Black songs sound more like Bon stuff than anything done with Brian on alll the lp since.

You decide and please discuss. I may just be trippin.....I am gettin old

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Supposedly songwriting had commenced but no studio time was booked prior to Bon's death. The band traveled to the Bahamas with Johnson to record the album, most sources I can find state Johnson wrote the lyrics.

My guess is their might have been some basic vocal melodies developed by Bon, but probably no finished lyrics.

I voted "Some".

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 5:25 pm

i never really thought about it before, but I voted "Don't Care". no matter who wrote it, Brian pulled it off perfectly & made it feel like his own. that album is a near perfect rock album.

jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 5:34 pm

mc666 wrote:
i never really thought about it before, but I voted "Don't Care". no matter who wrote it, Brian pulled it off perfectly & made it feel like his own. that album is a near perfect rock album.

^^exactly^^
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Much like Def Leppard's best work, I think Mutt Lange had a lot to do with the sound and success of that album.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 6:13 pm

Good call Spec. I voted some.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:50 pm

i said no but it really doesnt matter - great album!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Never thought about it before.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:28 am

mc666 wrote:

headbanger My opinion too.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 3:51 am

Never thought about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 am

I think some, Bon Scott did start writing lyrics but they were in early stages of pre production in Feb of 1980. I doubt they used any of his lyrics, if you compare the lyrics Brian Johnson is not as clever as Bon's were.

I do think that Mutt Lange had a bit to do with their success, but AC/DC unlike Def Leppard where not his puppets, Bon Scott refused to do multi takes or have his vocal performance spliced together from various takes, same thing with the Young brothers, they enjoyed working with him, but it was a definite an AC/DC album not a Mutt Lange album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?   What ya think ?  Was it Brian or Bon ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What ya think ? Was it Brian or Bon ?
Page 1 of 1