Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography

Go down 
+8
James B.
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
chewie
manny
thejokeriv
SpectreFate
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Empty
PostSubject: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 12:48 pm

ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Allcdc10

ACCEPT (1979)

1. LADY LOU
2. TIRED OF ME
3. SEAWINDS
4. TAKE HIM IN HEART
5. SOUNDS OF WAR
6. FREE ME NOW
7. GLAD TO BE ALONE
8. THAT'S ROCK 'N' ROLL
9. HELLDRIVER
10. STREET FIGHTER

Accept were originally founded in 1968 by Udo Dirkschneider and Michael Wagener under the name Band X. For many years after its founding, Accept went through constant changes to its line-up and was essentially kept on an amateur level, making sporadic appearances in festival concerts. Their professional career began in 1976, when they were invited to play at one of the first rock and roll festivals from Germany — Rock am Rhein. Following the festival, the band received a recording deal. Their first recording was the self-titled Accept album which did not achieve much commercial success. The first stable line-up of Accept was composed of vocalist Udo Dirkschneider, guitarists Wolf Hoffmann and Gerhard Wahl, bassist Peter Baltes and drummer Frank Friedrich. Friedrich and Wahl quit the band after the release of Accept, since they did not intend to pursue a professional career in music.

Accept's debut finds the future heavy metal heroes trying to find their way. The album has very strong metal leanings, but still is based in the rock n roll that the band grew up on. The sound on this album is similar to the output of fellow countrymen Scorpions in their earlier days. In fact, the ballad "Seawinds" could have been a Scorps song. Great stuff.

The metallic edge to songs such as "Lady Lou", "Tired Of Me", "Sounds Of War" are the stepping stones to what Accept was to become....a heavy metal juggernaut unlike the world had ever seen. But the element that makes Accept stick out is the vocal stylings of UDO. No one sounded like him back in 1979. No one sounds like him in 2012. He is a true original. With a vocal style that is gruff and jagged around the edges, you can tell Udo is passionate about what he does, and in this reviewer's opinion, he does it better than almost anyone else.

While this album is far from being an essential addition to your collection, it shouldn't be discarded because it doesn't sound like "Breaker" or "Restless and Wild". It's at the very least an interesting listen to hear the band creating their own style in the blossoming world of heavy metal.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 1:40 pm

Looking forward to your re-do of the Accept/Udo discography! I still have never heard Accept's debut album....... probably should fix that!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40742

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 1:45 pm

A good listen for sure but different from what's to come. I was actually surprised at how "primitive" (for lack of a better word) it sounded when I finally got to hear it. It still gets consistent play from me though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 7:39 pm

I have not played this album in awhile ( that is going to change tonight or tomorrow) but the band was not quite ready for prime time, but its interesting to hear these early tunes. A good if not spectacular debut
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 am

I need to get this one!
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 7:14 am

After collecting every UDO album possible at the beginning of my music obsession, this band, by mom's advice, became the obvious next step. So I went to Accept section, saw their s/t and thought it's the best choice for the start. That evening I listened to this album over 10 times in a row. It was primitive, raw, brutal, wild and full of energy. "Sounds of War" is one of their best tracks, the guitars are absolutely insane. "Seawinds" rivals best ballads of Scorps, as mentioned. "Free Me Now" was there 4 years before "Fast as a Shark". And "That's Rock 'N' Roll" is a unique song, quite enjoyable in some strange way.

Definitely not their best effort, but worth getting just as a historical piece. For 1979 - an onslaught on listener's ears.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Look at the year this album was first released. In 1979 the NWOBHM wave was still almost unheard of. And still Accept, from Germany, released their debut album on CBS this very year, and recorded it the year before. Sure, their self titled first offering isn't as blatant a metal album as the bands more known efforts, from the mid-80's. But this is a darn heavy album from that particular year. I'd say that only Judas Priest, and maybe Motörhead, were rivals in heaviest act back then. They are also the 2 bands I'd say Accept sounded the most a like. Them, and a stroke or two of Thin Lizzy. This album is also notable for more then the picture of Udo with hair. It also contains some out-of-character ballads, like "Glad To Be Alone", where Udo sounds very unlike his usual raspy self. He actually sings more here, using different sounds and techniques. He is also sharing vocal duties with Peter Baltes (on "Seawinds" and "Sounds Of War"). "That's Rock 'n Roll" is like an updated 50's rock song, only with blistering dual guitar-work. You can still hear that this is Accept though, and that is much thanks to the guitar-attack from Wolf Hoffman and Jörg Fischer. Wolf really is a monster player, and he is showing it from the get go. 'Accept' remains the humble beginnings from a legendary band. Today this album might be mostly know for the single, "Lady Lou". But listening to it in 2007, I find it to be a charming piece of metal history.

I own the 2000 digipak reissue, released on Nuclear Blast. The cheap packaging comes without a booklet. The album has also been re-released with different artwork, but mine has the original women-with-chainsaw cover.

Killer tracks: Lady Lou, Tired Of Me, Seawinds, Take Him In My Heart, Glad To Be Alone

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 3:17 pm

ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Rebel11

I'M A REBEL (1980)

1. I'M A REBEL
2. SAVE US
3. NO TIME TO LOSE
4. THUNDER AND LIGHTNING
5. CHINA LADY
6. I WANNA BE NO HERO
7. THE KING
8. DO IT

In 1980, Accept (who consequently was named after an album by british blues band CHICKEN SHACK) released an album that began to show the direction the band was headed in. New to the fold of the band were Jorg Fischer on guitar and Udo's future longtime collaborator Stefan Kaufmann on drums. Not so apparent was the experimentation that was obvious on their first recording. Replacing it was a more confident, heavier sound. Once again, not unlike fellow countrymen Scorpions, Accept's second offering was more in the vein of heavy metal which was slowly but surely taking the world by storm. In fact, this album reminds me alot of the Scorps album of the same year, "Animal Magnetism". The potential was there, but somehow it falls flat.

The title track (as has been widely discussed) was originally written for AC/DC by Malcolm and Angus' brother Alex Young. It gives the album a fitting start and gives the listener an idea of what's in store. Songs such as "Save Us", "Thunder and Lightning", and "China Lady" illustrate the power the band was beginning to have, but I have to say that songs such as "No Time To Lose", "I Wanna Be No Hero", and "The King" really take the wind out of the sails of this album. Once again inconsistency rears its ugly head and Accept is left with a lacklustre album. But all that would change just one year later......

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Accept's second album was initially released in June 1980, via Brain Records. It was the first of three consecutive Accept records to utilize Dirk Steffens as producer. It was also a deliberate, but somewhat failed, attempt to make a more commercial records.

I'm not sure why, but I imagined an immature and not fully grown band on 'I'm A Rebel'. What I found was some songs with a raw and naive sound, but as a whole I thought that 'I'm A Rebel' stood the test of time quite nicely. Sure, Accept have still not found their own sound just yet, and the album is the most experimental from these Germans for decades to come. But it contains some good songs, like the title track for example. It was penned by one George Alexander, a pseudonym for none other than George Young, older brother of AC/DC's Angus and Malcolm Young. Peter Baltes is once again doing lead vocals on 2 songs. This time it's for "No Time To Loose" and "The King", 2 of the best songs on the record.

My version of 'I'm A Rebel' is a re-release from 1992, using the original German cover art. It has been reissued many times, and the original UK and US pressings had a different cover, trying to make it look more metalized. 'I'm A Rebel' is one of heavy metal's earliest albums, and that makes it a milestone.

Trivia: The song 'I'm a Rebel' was also recorded, but never released, by AC/DC. They had recording sessions outside Albert Productions without George Young and Harry Vanda. Bon Scott was very drunk when the song was recorded. Nevertheless, Accept guitarist Wolf Hoffmann claimed in an interview that this recording was "way better" than Accept's result. The recording remains in Albert Productions' vaults.

Killer tracks: I'm A Rebel, No Time To Loose, China Lady, The King

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12819

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 pm

I got the debut after the two that followed. I classify them in a similar way as earlier Scorp's lps compared to latter eleases. Except, the Scorp's earlier material was actually great stuff. (thanks to Uli) This rarely gets tossed on the turntable. The same with "I'm A Rebel". Though I admit the second lp has better songs on it.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 5:12 pm

I have not listened to 'I'm a Rebel' in forever and day, a good album that I used to listen to alot back as a teenager.

Right after I got into Accept, due to 'Balls to the Wall' I found their first three albums in the cut out bin, but first album I got from this period was a comp called 'Midnight Highway' which I used to blast all the time.

This album is closer to the sound Accept would be known for, but a bit rawer and in some spots it has an AC/DC feel to it. Besides 'I'm Rebel' , there are a few songs who's songwriting is given to producer Dirk Steffens. The songs sound like the Accept songs the band had written themselves.

I still love the song 'The King' because it is so different then what the rest of their disc is or for that matter, material that would make up the rest of their discography.

Overall I enjoy the album, and like the rawness of the disc.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Moving along....

ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography 51TWCXzn42L._SS500_

BREAKER (1981)

1. STARLIGHT
2. BREAKER
3. RUN IF YOU CAN
4. CAN'T STAND THE NIGHT
5. SON OF A B!TCH
6. BURNING
7. FEELINGS
8. MIDNIGHT HIGHWAY
9. BREAKING UP AGAIN
10. DOWN AND OUT

1981's "Breaker" is one of those albums that are almost perfect. The band really came into their own and wrote some really stunning heavy metal songs. After a couple of less than stellar LPs, Accept decide to do an album their way. The decision was made to keep all songwriting in house and ditch any outside influence. In my opinion, this is what should have happened from jump street.

From the start of the album you can hear that Udo and the boys mean business. From "Starlight" to "Down And Out" there are only a couple of minor missteps on this album. On earlier albums we saw shades of the TRUE Accept, but on "Breaker" you see the band in their true metal glory. Concert staples such as the title track and "Midnight Highway" are still being played by Udo and his new band today.

There is a wee bit of filler on this album, which is the only downside. Songs such as "Breaking Up Again" have no business on a metal album, if you ask me. Thank goodness this is the last album to feature Peter Baltes' emotionally vacant vocals on a power ballad. Yuck. However, you can't go wrong with this album. While it's not the band's greatest moment in the sun, I believe this is an album that one can listen to and hear the true definition of heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Love this album, the album this band had wanted to make all along.

Great songs that remain in their set to the present day, just kicks ass from beginning to end, well almost, it does have that sucky ballad on the disc.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Breaker - Accept starts becoming Accept!!!!!
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 am

"I'm a Rebel" is a good album, but nothing really grabs me, the wilderness of the debut is gone and the songs feel somewhat uncertain(?). Still it is Accept so it's better than 90% of metal out there.

"Breaker" - the title speaks for itself. Udo broke 3 microphones while recording the album. Every song on here rules. I can even live with "Breaking up Again". Personal picks would be "Feelings" and "Midnight Highway". This one is a must-have. "Can't Stand the Night" along with "Metal Heart" was played at the school ball of my father in 1985. I'd die to see it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Breaker is bad @$$ german flavored heavy metal......"starlight" is a killer opener

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 am

'Breaker' was the Germanic gigantuawatt gladiators 3rd go. And all the while the band didn't get their worldwide break until their next album, 'Breaker' still made them a lot of headway. And despite the lack of an initial UK pressing of the album, the tour for 'Breaker' marked the bands first tour in Britain, supporting Judas Priest. It would also mark the last record with Jörg Fischer.
The metal media hailed 'Breaker' as a masterpiece, but in hindsight it is almost like the forgotten stepbrother of the band's more known LP's, 'Restless And Wild', 'Balls To The Walls' and 'Metal Heart'. It's a shame really, because this is the album where Accept really found their trademark sound. All the ingredients are here; the speedy, yet flashy, guitar-work, Udo's convincing vocal delivery and the combination of ballsy metal and melodies. 'Breaker' might not contain the band obvious hits (save for the title track and the fan-favorite "Son Of A Bitch"), but it is still cramped with stellar songs, even down to the awesome ballad, "Can't Stand The Night', featuring some of Udo's best performances on tape. "Burning" is another number that sounds like a metalized classic rock 'n' roll song. It contains a crowd noise in the background to make it sound like a live recording. But it is an Accept original, recorded in the studio.

The profanity-laced "Son Of A Bitch" caused the band some controversy, of course. And to get the album released for the UK market, they recorded a "softer" version of the track, with alternative lyrics, and named it "Born To Be Whipped". This version appears on my CD reissue, even though the track-listing lists the original name. Guess I'll have to hunt down the uncensored version.

'Breaker' is possibly one of Accept's strongest albums. Again, it might lack the crowd pleasers and the obvious hits. Still, there is not a weak track to be found on this CD, and it sounds as fresh today as it did when it was first released back in 1981.

Killer tracks: Breaker, Run If You Can, Can't Stand The Night, Son Of A Bitch, Burning, Feelings

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

kmorg wrote:

The profanity-laced "Son Of A Bitch" caused the band some controversy, of course. And to get the album released for the UK market, they recorded a "softer" version of the track, with alternative lyrics, and named it "Born To Be Whipped". This version appears on my CD reissue, even though the track-listing lists the original name. Guess I'll have to hunt down the uncensored version.

"Born to be Whipped" is a Japanese version. The UK one has the original title with modified lyrics. No sense in keeping the title of course with chorus like "Born to be rich - kiss my arm".

Also, some songs from "Breaker" were used in the movie "Nacht der Wolfe" from 1984. The film is terrible I suppose, like a cheap version of "River's Edge" maybe.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 11:50 am

I think that I'm A Rebel is a nice step up from the debut. I think the songs are just better,the title track,Save Us & Thunder And Lightning being the standout cuts.

Breaker is where they started sounding like what everyone expects to hear from Accept. Just a great album start to finish. And I had no idea that there was a censored version of Son Of A Bitch. I never even heard that before Kmorg mentioned it. Interesting.

Last edited by 007 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9945

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Breaker is a top favourite.

Of course, it doesn't match the perfection of UDO releases, especially mastercutor headbanger
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Breaker is a top favourite.

Of course, it doesn't match the perfection of UDO releases, especially mastercutor headbanger

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??!11  ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography 47715
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 10:56 pm

ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography 3230973

RESTLESS AND WILD (1982)

1. FAST AS A SHARK
2. RESTLESS AND WILD
3. AHEAD OF THE PACK
4. SHAKE YOUR HEADS
5. NEON NIGHTS
6. GET READY
7. DEMON'S NIGHT
8. FLASH ROCKIN' MAN
9. DON'T GO STEALING MY SOUL AWAY
10. PRINCESS OF THE DAWN

In 1982, heavy metal was quickly becoming mainstream in America. Quiet Riot would have the first number 1 heavy metal album ever a scant year later and it seemed like every metal band under the sun was being signed. In Germany, metal had it's foothold for awhile thanks to the Scorpions and many of the up and coming speed metal scene.
Another band that were finding their way were Accept. Despite the frequent questions from the media about if the band were neo-fascists (due to Udo's new militaristic visual look and the misunderstanding of the crackly old German folk song that opened the record), the band overcame these questions of their image and produced what many would consider their strongest effort....Restless and Wild.

As for the songs....

"Fast As A Shark" kicks in right after that 20-second intro, and it's a tour de force of early thrash played with incredible speed and precision right from Udo's opening piercing scream. Stefan Kauffman really shines on this album as an excellent metal drummer. Wolf Hoffmann does a very classical-style solo here.

"Restless and Wild" is a more traditionally-paced metal song with Udo alternately moaning and screaming. Probably my favorite on the album.

"Ahead of the Pack" is a 'get out and live your own life' metal song with strong backing vocals (something Accept got really good at on this album). Classic.

"Shake Your Heads" is a slow pounding metal anthem. Simple but effective.

"Neon Nights" is the closest thing to a ballad on here (as mentioned before, Peter Baltes stopped getting a song or two on each Accept record) but it's really a brooding slow metal track with a rare restrained vocal from Udo. It's also the first songwriting credit for the mysterious "Deaffy", their female manager Gaby Hauke. Very cool song.

"Get Ready" opens the second side with another rocker featuring those enthusiastic backing vocals again. "GET IT ON!"

"Demon's Night" is a plodder that occasionally breaks into a sprint. It isn't too bad, but not a top five on the album.

"Flash Rockin' Man" is my second favorite song on the album. Simple, powerful. Awesome.

"Don't Go Stealing My Soul Away" is more of a traditional rock song with another fine solo by Wolf.

"Princess of the Dawn" is a haunting track with a relentless steady riff that plays out over six minutes, with all kinds of Wolf's guitar layers popping up including a mandolin-like sound near the end (it's an electric guitar at half-speed) as Udo spews his dark-flavored lyrics.

Restless and Wild still holds up 30 years later. The riffs are timeless, the songs unforgettable. This album has absolutely ZERO filler. With this album, Accept lets everyone know they mean business.

I will be surprised to see any metal fan not in awe of the sheer power that is Accept's Restless and Wild album. If you haven't heard it, you owe it to yourself to pick it up!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 am

Fast As A Shark became the song ya heard in ALL the kewl places. After school frisbee toss, week-end rope swing, garage bands wailing away and the band at the keg party jamming away. This is a killer album

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 8:08 am

Awesome, awesome album. The second Accept album I ever heard (after Balls To The Wall). Love it!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 am

Restless And Wild is one of my favorite Accept albums. Not really a weak tune in the bunch. Fast As A Shark and Princess Of The Dawn are essential songs for any collection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography    ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ACCEPT / U.D.O. - Discography
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next