Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Searching for new bands?

Go down 
+13
Lurideath
Orion Crystal Ice
kmorg
metalhead777
Andy
Eyesore
mc666
Temple of Blood
Alex Dee Rokket
DallasBlack
BearOnUnicycle
Coram Deo
Wargod
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Searching for new bands? Empty
PostSubject: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 pm

How many of you are as avid as I am in searching for new bands?
I do all the time and have bands like Bad Salad, Hellander, Hellennium, Hellectrokutor, Estrella, Replosion, Iconic Tonic, Sceptor, Metalhead, Crimson Fool, Hellspray, Commander, Ice Dragon, Knight Skreams, Tiakra, Unity, Incredible Hog, Kattah, Mortalicum, Vorpal Nomad.

Metalwargod
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Me, as much research as I do, can't say I've heard of any of those. Will be checkin them out.

Recently I've found EradiKator, Flamethrower, Blatant Disarray, Sufosia, Hellish War, Rezistor. Project Pain, arkona, At the Lake, Fortress, to name a few.

Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Can't say I'm searching, just reading music related stuff and checking out the most interesting bands. Prototype (shameless ad for Eysore's thread) for instance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Not really looking for new metal bands, if I hear good word of mouth about a band I'll check them out, but I'm not actively pursuing.

I'm always on the lookout for good progressive rock and improvisational music though.

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Always on the lookout for new stuff, I just can't afford it all.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 11:02 pm

I try to do as much research into bands as I can. I recently got a premium subscription with Spotify which has helped me discover a lot of new bands but also introduced me to deeper cuts and lesser known albums by bands I was already familiar with. As a result my music collection has grown by about 100 CDs since I got Spotify 2 months ago.

That said, I am still struggling to keep on top of all the various new and old bands out there. To give you an example, I am always curious to hear the bands featured in Shadow Kingdom's catalog. They seem to have many obscure both old and new metal bands mostly of the traditional (heavy / nwobhm) and thrash flavors, which are my favorite genres.

On that note, I recently discovered 2 new 'retro' thrash bands - Vindicator and Possessor. I bought both of their new albums recently from ebay. I am a bit more familiar with Vindicator as I have listened to their newest release on Spotify quite a bit lately - and the band as a whole reminds me a bit of late 80s / early 90s Megadeth (however I am not very familiar with their older albums). Possessor I am only vaguely familiar with as they do not have a presence on Spotify - I have only heard bits of their new album on Youtube and I liked what I heard. I got their album because it came in a pack with Vindicator from their label - Slaney Records.

I can almost never keep up with the various death and black metal bands. It seems those genres spawn the highest amount of bands on a monthly basis with various twisted and borrowed names. I cannot keep up with those and only really check out new releases by bands I am familiar with or alternatively, new bands that really impress me to the point where I just really want to add their albums in my collection. Otherwise, I stick to the classic death and black metal bands.

Last edited by Alex Dee Rokket on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm constantly searching for new bands.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 11:53 pm

me too, i'm always checking out new stuff. last.fm & spotify have really opened up a lot for me.

Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 pm

I wonder if Spotify has or will help boost album sales.

It interesting because when it first started not many labels seemed in favour of it. I remember Century Media had pulled all its artists from Spotify at one stage. Now CM has agreed to have a presence on Spotify. I wonder if this is because it feels sales will increase.

I can only speak for myself but quite a few bands and labels have received my hard earned money as a result of Spotify.

If anything, a service like Spotify can curtail the incessant illegal downloading and leaking of new albums. So it must be helping somehow...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:04 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I wonder if Spotify has or will help boost album sales.

Warner Bros. released a memo yesterday indicating that 25% of all their digital revenue comes from streaming sites now (Spotify, Pandora & Youtube). Streaming now accounts for 8% of their total revenue (about $54 million) and is rising quickly.

An excerpt of an article...

Whatā€™s more encouraging for Warner ā€” and, presumably, the rest of the big labels ā€” is that streaming revenue is growing quickly, but doesnā€™t seem to be cutting into traditional digital sales from outlets like iTunes.*

Just as encouraging: Warner says that after you net out the effect of currency fluctuations, the increase in digital sales was bigger than the decrease in physical sales. Thatā€™s the goal the industry has been aiming for since the late 1990s.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:12 am

Ice Dragon! I've pimped them here before...and I'm pretty sure it was ignored. Brilliant band, though.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 8:43 am

White Wizzard is probably the best new band I've gotten into lately. I own all of their releases.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Any time I'm not on a huge stint listening to a band, I'm searching for a band like them, or just music from that genre in general.
Honestly, its getting hard for me to find good, quality metal.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:00 pm

metalhead777 wrote:
You're not looking hard enough.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Eyesore wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:

Or he's just too picky. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
metalhead777 wrote:

Or he's just too picky. Razz
Hit the nail on the head!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 11:32 pm

metalhead777 wrote:

Then you need to talk to me. I can find you some good stuff.

Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 am

Still looking forward to Temple of Blood, Ultimatum, Avenger of Blood, not new bands, but thought this was good a place as any to say it. Wink
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks for the reminder about the Slaney Records CD's. ORDERED!! Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm searching for new hands. Bizarre lightsaber accident.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:31 pm

I am always searching as well. Some newer bands I have found are Flamethrower, Lost World Order, Unhoped, Chapel, and Tombs to name just a few.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I am always searching as well. Some newer bands I have found are Flamethrower, Lost World Order, Unhoped, Chapel, and Tombs to name just a few.

headbanger

Ya I found LWO maybe half a year ago? ANd flamethrower a month or so ago. They both are quite good.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 2:52 pm

I've discovered a few cool new Prog related bands lately:

Shattered Skies
Tetrafusion
The Dead Station

All 3 offered free EPs via the internet that are, IMO, quite good.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 3:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
Not really looking for new metal bands, if I hear good word of mouth about a band I'll check them out, but I'm not actively pursuing.
This is probably how I get 90+% of my music.

In the 80's I was buying anything and everything "metal." And like then, I find "most" bands I try blind, there are maybe one or two good songs on an album and the rest stinks. So it's a waste of money...which burns me up more than anything. I'm very skeptical or not prone to trying new bands because of limited funds vs quality and taste.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 3:19 pm

I am always buying and checking out new bands. Some of the greater ones i discover are SIGN OF THE JACKAL(some time ago already), ANTICHRIST, EDENĀ“S CURSE, ELIMINATOR (UK), AXECUTOR, GAE BOLGA, HIGH SPIRITS, ATOMIC ROAR, WIDOW, VOLTURE etc... and some old bands like BOSS TWEED and TAIST OF IRON, both from the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Searching for new bands?   Searching for new bands? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Searching for new bands?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next