Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My son's first electric guitar!

Go down 
+8
Thrasher73
Shawn Of Fire
bassman
exact33
Wurthless
thejokeriv
jettafiend
T-Roy
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

My son's first electric guitar! Empty
PostSubject: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 3:41 pm

My 15 year old son (turned 15 today in fact!) has been working 10+ hour days, 6 days a week detastling corn in the Indiana corn fields! He just got his first paycheck and we scored this beauty on ebay, slightly used for $280!
My son's first electric guitar! Schecter_solo6
My son's first electric guitar! Schecter_solo6b

Here's all the factory specs on it
http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Solo-Special.aspx

I'm so proud and excited for him. He started getting lessons last Fall and I can't believe how he's progressing. He plays his guitar almost every minute he's home and about drives us all insane on the weekends. He's really passionate....and darn good. And thankfully, he LOVES metal. So right now, he as aspirations of forming either a doom or powermetal band. LOL! PERFECT! I actually mentioned doom simply because it's slower paced music and him and his friends could probably start out a little easier on riffs and drums. He absolutely loves Place of Skulls so he was all about it.

We're going shopping for an amp this weekend. The pawn shop is loaded with them but I have no clue what's what....but nothing is over $200. Anybody have any advice for a kid wanting crunchy, metal tones?
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 3:52 pm

I am personally a Peavey FANATIC! American made quality product that is much cheaper than a Marshall or Krank or Mesa. Carvin amps are a good choice but kinda $$. Fender tubes have a great sound as well, but again, there is the $$ factor because of their desirability. I would check out the "endorsed by..." pages of a few bands that he like to get an idea of amps, pedals and the other whatnots that he may need to achieve the sound he is looking for.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Nice! My brother has a Schecter and it sounds pretty good. For a beginner amp, I'd recommend the Line 6 Spider IV is a good deal, lots of tones you can create
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 3:54 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
For a beginner amp, I'd recommend the Line 6 Spider IV is a good deal, lots of tones you can create

That's what I was going to recommend, it's a great little amp for the price.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Wurthless wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
For a beginner amp, I'd recommend the Line 6 Spider IV is a good deal, lots of tones you can create

And you can find them for $99 new. Great practice amp!!!!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

WOW! That's it? We're gonna have to check those out.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 4:10 pm

jettafiend wrote:
I am personally a Peavey FANATIC! American made quality product that is much cheaper than a Marshall or Krank or Mesa. Carvin amps are a good choice but kinda $$. Fender tubes have a great sound as well, but again, there is the $$ factor because of their desirability. I would check out the "endorsed by..." pages of a few bands that he like to get an idea of amps, pedals and the other whatnots that he may need to achieve the sound he is looking for.
Thanks bro. I'll check those out as well. headbanger
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 pm

nice! I dont play but it sure looks nice!

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 pm

T-Roy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Wurthless wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

WOW! That's it? We're gonna have to check those out.

http://line6.com/spideriv15-30/

Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 11:36 pm

The Peavey stuff is built like a tank, sounds great, and is very affordable. Check out the Vypyr 15 for a small amp that is much like the Line 6 amps, but with a better user interface.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:01 am

Quote :
We're going shopping for an amp this weekend. The pawn shop is loaded with them but I have no clue what's what....but nothing is over $200. Anybody have any advice for a kid wanting crunchy, metal tones?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482871-i1470458.gc

My son's first electric guitar! _c986195_image_0

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:20 am

bassman wrote:
The Peavey stuff is built like a tank, sounds great, and is very affordable. Check out the Vypyr 15 for a small amp that is much like the Line 6 amps, but with a better user interface.
So, we zeroed in on two amps last night.

The Line 6 IV 30 - $200
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482863-i1470459.gc

The Peavy Vypyr 30 - $200
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922869-i1413606.gc

There was one bad review on the Line 6. Sounds like the dude is just incompetent. He complained that on the distortion tones, it was nothing but buzz. Another person addressed that claim in his review basically saying your guitar isn't meant for distortion/metal tones, genius. LOL! What do you guys think of that.

I think they both look like great amps...even the $100 one you showed Shawn. I told Luke maybe we should just go down to Guitar Center in Indy, and have one of the reps (who all play) play a Schecter Solo 6 on some different amps to make sure the tones are there?
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:44 am

Nice Looking Guitar T-roy! Tell the boy to keep up the good work.

How did the corn do in Indy this year? Down here its been too dry and every crop is nothing but stalk.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 am

Looks cool, T. Betcha he'll have some fun makin' a racket with that thing.

You gonna start a band with him? You on WOOOOARRRRRGH and him on gee-tar? Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

You gonna start a band with him? You on WOOOOARRRRRGH and him on gee-tar? Very Happy
Yes, and we have a name for the band.

"As The World Turns So My Soul Dies a Thousand Deaths On a Hill"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:56 am

T-Roy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Yes, and we have a name for the band.

"As The World Turns So My Soul Dies a Thousand Deaths On a Hill"

Dude, you'll never fit all that on a tour shirt. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 am

Why you gotta be so negative?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:59 am

That's one mighty fine looking gee-tar!! Congrats, good luck and happy birthday to your boy.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:01 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That's one mighty fine looking gee-tar!! Congrats, good luck and happy birthday to your boy.
Thanks Bro! You gotta dig those bullet casing knobs!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:04 am

T-Roy wrote:
Why you gotta be so negative?

I'm from New Jersey. Negativity is in my blood. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:16 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Nice Looking Guitar T-roy! Tell the boy to keep up the good work.

How did the corn do in Indy this year? Down here its been too dry and every crop is nothing but stalk.
For the particular developer my son is working for, they did "okay." They just so happened to get hit with about every rare and little rain cloud. My county is awful and the whole state is a disaster. Like the worst in 30 years or something. I live in the country and on my commute I see corn fields only 4-5 feet tall, fully tasseled and already brown. I've seen a few fields fully tasseled and not a single ear of corn on the stocks....it's bad.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 8:54 pm

T-Roy wrote:
bassman wrote:
So, we zeroed in on two amps last night.

The Line 6 IV 30 - $200
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482863-i1470459.gc

The Peavy Vypyr 30 - $200
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922869-i1413606.gc

There was one bad review on the Line 6. Sounds like the dude is just incompetent. He complained that on the distortion tones, it was nothing but buzz. Another person addressed that claim in his review basically saying your guitar isn't meant for distortion/metal tones, genius. LOL! What do you guys think of that.

I think they both look like great amps...even the $100 one you showed Shawn. I told Luke maybe we should just go down to Guitar Center in Indy, and have one of the reps (who all play) play a Schecter Solo 6 on some different amps to make sure the tones are there?

Either one of those amps will be fine, just figure on doing some tweaking on those presets. Every guitar will react differently with the amp.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 7:32 am

Do you guys have Bugera amps over there? They're dirt cheap Chinese tube amps, and apparently they're pretty damn good for the money. The 6262 is a copy of the Peavey 5150, which is pretty much THE modern metal amp.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 am

I have a VOX VT40+ amp. It's a tube and modeling hybrid. Best of both worlds for a good price.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 am

Troublezone wrote:
I have a VOX VT40+ amp. It's a tube and modeling hybrid. Best of both worlds for a good price.
AND THE WINNER IS.....VOX VT40!

We went to Guitar Center and played a Schecter on all three of the amps we were looking at. The Peavy, Line 6 and the Vox. I myself was leaning toward the Peavy, but once Luke heard the Vox, that was it. So he forked out a little more ($250) but it is a sick little amp. The Line 6 and Peavy...also awesome amps. I'm amazed at the tones, options and sound of the Lince 6 and Peavy...for the money. You can't blow those amps, or the Vox.

Thank you so much to everybody for the help and advice. We would not have ended up with this amp and these choices had it not been for this thread and all the friendly advice.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Troy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My son's first electric guitar!   My son's first electric guitar! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My son's first electric guitar!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next