Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ashes of Ares

Go down 
+14
MetalGuy71
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
MetalRob331
krokus
exact33
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Dark Horseman
kmorg
mc666
Eyesore
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 11:43 am

Sounds ok but undeveloped, like you say, hope it's a demo.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Hahaha I thought you said Ashes of Arse lol!

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Don't be a butt. Ashes of Ares - Page 2 84826
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm really looking forward to this!!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Asses of Arse have a new lyric video out.

Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Ashesofaresdebutcd

Sounds pretty awesome! headbanger 
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 10:56 pm

That song is killer and Matt IMO is still one of the best METAL singers EVER!!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 1:43 pm

New Album streaming...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ashes-of-ares-entire-debut-album-available-for-streaming/
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Damn. "The Messenger" sounds like Burnt Offerings-era Iced Earth.

But man, I wish metal bands would stop recording at Morrissound. Those Morris guys suck at producing metal these days. Everything they do sounds so weak!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Eyesore wrote:

But man, I wish metal bands would stop recording at Morrissound. Those Morris guys suck at producing metal these days. Everything they do sounds so weak!
I kind of like this not so overproduced sound. That being said it could def sound better...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I kind of like this not so overproduced sound.  That being said it could def sound better...
It's not about being overproduced. It just sounds weak. There's no meat on the bone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Yes, "Ashes of Arses" was my initial interpretation of the name. They might want to rethink that...

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Strong stuff and with some tweaking it sounds great.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I wanted to give this band a fair shake because of Barlow, but I dunno. Sounds like every other modern power metal band out there. Decent enough for what it is, but just not my cup of tea anymore.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 1:46 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I wanted to give this band a fair shake because of Barlow, but I dunno. Sounds like every other modern power metal band out there. Decent enough for what it is, but just not my cup of tea anymore.
I've listened to it a number of times today, and it's really good. I wouldn't call it power metal, though. There are moments, but this one pretty much sits firmly in that traditional heavy metal realm.

Overall, a great album. At times, very reminiscent of Burnt Offerings-era Iced Earth.

If I had one complaint, it would be that, at times, the guitars or drums or both don't quite gel properly and come off a bit awkward. But maybe it's just me. I think the same thing about Pantera's "Primal Concrete Sledge," and many people have called me crazy. On that song, I just think the guitar and drums are just a hair out of sync with each other. It's the same thing on this Ashes Of Ares album.

A minor quibble, though. The production and mix is much better than the YouTube clips suggest as well.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 2:20 am

I agree with the Burnt Offerings resemblance at times. That's not a bad thing either imo. That is my favorite Iced Earth & favorite modern power metal album.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 am

I'm listening now, and I'm enjoying it except for one glaring annoyance: the drum mix. That's a shitty, shitty snare. Almost like it was added in from a cheap set. It stands out way too much while the rest of the set is so powerful. Perhaps that's why is sounds off to you?

EDIT: so several tracks in I'm getting used to it but it's still not the greatest mix. Other than the snare, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's going wrong here. Barlow does a fantastic job, however. And the songs are extremely well-written.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 3:37 am

corplhicks wrote:
I'm listening now, and I'm enjoying it except for one glaring annoyance: the drum mix. That's a shitty, shitty snare. Almost like it was added in from a cheap set. It stands out way too much while the rest of the set is so powerful. Perhaps that's why is sounds off to you?

EDIT: so several tracks in I'm getting used to it but it's still not the greatest mix. Other than the snare, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's going wrong here. Barlow does a fantastic job, however. And the songs are extremely well-written.
I would say there's nothing going wrong. The mix isn't amazing, pretty much par for the course with the one-stop shop that is Morrisound, but it's not as weak as, say, Iced Earth's Framing Armageddon.

As for my complaint above, it's not an overall complaint. I just find a few parts to be off a bit.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 3:52 am

Eyesore wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I would say there's nothing going wrong. The mix isn't amazing, pretty much par for the course with the one-stop shop that is Morrisound, but it's not as weak as, say, Iced Earth's Framing Armageddon.

As for my complaint above, it's not an overall complaint. I just find a few parts to be off a bit.
TIL about Morrisound. Had no idea.

Had to dust off my copy of Framing Armageddon that I rarely ever listened to anyway to see what you mean. Yeah, wow, that is weak, and even that weird snare comes in every now and then. Don't know why I never noticed, but than again I wasn't too keen on the album.

I'm enjoying the Arses record. After hearing the whole thing, I think I'll pick it up.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 12:58 pm

This just missed being one of my favs of the year and Van Williams is too amazing to have a sound like that. That guy is one creative monster on the drums.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 3:13 pm

First video.

headbanger 
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 5:40 pm

after listening i like it. I might just have to get this.

bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 pm

Barlow sounds freakin' great! I'm gonna have to get this......
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 am

This has totally grown on me. This is My Hell is a wrenching song. The whole snare issue is a bygone; I'm used to it. Going to pick this one up soon.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm not getting it until the dynamic range is at least a 2.5

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 5:26 am

This has some strong song. But also a bunch of filler.

PostSubject: Re: Ashes of Ares   Ashes of Ares - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ashes of Ares
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next