Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?

Go down 
+5
DallasBlack
mc666
metalhead777
arachnoplasma
vgmaster9
9 posters
AuthorMessage
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

Number of posts : 56

How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Empty
PostSubject: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Think it would be cool if there was a game like Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but not only unique in its own right, but has songs that all composed of metal? There would be tons of songs from all kinds of bands of different genres, such as classic metal, speed metal, doom metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, grindcore, groove metal, progressive metal, power metal, gothic metal, symphonic metal, folk metal, etc. Also, it would have a series of large expansions giving the game even more songs to give it a lengthy lifespan.

The game could have a publisher like THQ or something. It would have to be different from GH and RB though. The former is simpler while the latter is more complex. What different gameplay elements do you think it could have?
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Well, there was already Brütal Legend...

Never played it myself (I don't play video games other than retro stuff really). But the soundtrack is pretty great.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 1:39 am

It would be cool.
But, it would never happen. Why? Because it wont sell, and just like any business, sadly it isn't about how awesome, or fun something is, its about how well its going to sell to the mass market.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 2:21 am

just pick up a real instrument & give it a go. you don't need a cartoon character & score in front of you for it to mean something. try creating rather than mimicking.

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 2:27 am

mc666 wrote:
just pick up a real instrument & give it a go. you don't need a cartoon character & score in front of you for it to mean something. try creating rather than mimicking.

How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? 25679

Damn straight.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am

mc666 wrote:

Some people just find it easier I guess. I prefer to stick to air guitar, that way I get to choose what music I mimick (and I don't need a goofy avatar for that) Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 6:48 pm

arachnoplasma wrote:
Well, there was already Brütal Legend...

Never played it myself (I don't play video games other than retro stuff really). But the soundtrack is pretty great.

I admit, that game has a pretty good selection of metal songs, but this would have more, minus the glam metal and hard rock stuff. Plus, it would be a rhythm game, not an action/adventure game.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm

vgmaster9 wrote:
Also, it would have a series of large expansions giving the game even more songs to give it a lengthy lifespan.

Lengthy Lifespan? In todays gaming world, were the most awesome game is forgetten after 6 months and people moan and groan about the DLC rip-off smurf poo? How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? 25679 Not possible, especially not with something that isn't a online First Person Shooter.

And actually there was a "Rock Band: Metal" released in 2009, which tried to bring in every genre and failed horribly.

I never understood the appeal of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I can understand something like Dance Dance Revolution in the Arcade, as i played it with my girlfriend in Japan and we had tons of fun (mostly because we were drunk) but clicking on buttons that are on what slightly resembles real instruments?
There's that one Video from Stuart Ashens who reviews a Guitar Hero rockband and his look while his clicking the buttons was exactly how i looked when i played the first game. I returned to my real electric guitars.

Therefore i rather want to see a Brütal Legend 2.
The first game had some flaws (too easy, the strategy parts were not really strategy) but the story was good, the humour was awesome, having Ozzy, Lemmy, Rob Halford and Lita Ford in there was awesome and the soundtrack (despite lacking Maiden and Dio) was very good and it so many great scenes, even the intro with Jack Black in the record store was funny, the intro were they kill that fake metal band was awesome and overall it's recommended.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 7:40 pm

I agree about Brutal Legend, the idea was great, the actual gameplay was lacking. It could have been much better.

I've been playing guitar for over 25 years now, I just can't see the appeal of pushing buttons on a video game, it's much more fun to play along with your favorite albums on a real instrument.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 pm

S.D. wrote:
I agree about Brutal Legend, the idea was great, the actual gameplay was lacking. It could have been much better.

I've been playing guitar for over 25 years now, I just can't see the appeal of pushing buttons on a video game, it's much more fun to play along with your favorite albums on a real instrument.

My problem was I never had the patience to learn which is also why I've never played Guitar Hero. Hand-eye cordination has never been my strong point.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 8:55 pm

S.D. wrote:

Yep and better to play with friends or just some people. I think Rock Band is kinda strange, who would say "yeah, let's all get together and we pretend to be a band pushing buttons" - i always enjoyed playing for real and since my girlfriend play bass, we can jam around and have fun playing songs for real and even if we have to use a drum track, it's still better.

I know that learning an instrument isn't something that can be done in 5 minutes and i know, a lot of people have no attention span or patience, so they give up but it's so much more exciting to learn a song on a real instrument and nailing it, having the feel of "Yeah...i accomplished something" no achievement and no high-score can ever emulate the feeling of nailing your favourite song on a real instrument.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 8:58 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Yep and better to play with friends or just some people. I think Rock Band is kinda strange, who would say "yeah, let's all get together and we pretend to be a band pushing buttons" - i always enjoyed playing for real and since my girlfriend play bass, we can jam around and have fun playing songs for real and even if we have to use a drum track, it's still better.

I know that learning an instrument isn't something that can be done in 5 minutes and i know, a lot of people have no attention span or patience, so they give up but it's so much more exciting to learn a song on a real instrument and nailing it, having the feel of "Yeah...i accomplished something" no achievement and no high-score can ever emulate the feeling of nailing your favourite song on a real instrument.

I understand, especially as a vocalist. If I can sing a song without screwing up the lyrics or melody I'm satisfied.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 9:51 am

I have a weird/strange idea surprised

Try turning down the volume on the TV and turning up the volume on the stereo

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 am

James B. wrote:

I've done that before. Nothing like killing Octoroks on Zelda while listening to Maiden. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:46 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
My problem was I never had the patience to learn which is also why I've never played Guitar Hero. Hand-eye cordination has never been my strong point.

FWIW, a lot of songs on GH/RB are actually harder to play in the game than they are on the real instruments. The games tend to complicate things in order to jack up the challenge for the player.
Back to top Go down
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Another thing, in order for the game to have wider appeal, it would probably have to include songs from bands of more commercialized metal genres like glam metal (not bands that are considered pop metal), nu metal (though not including bands such as Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park), and metalcore (not including subgenres like deathcore and emocore mind you).
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:23 pm

James B. wrote:

Or on modern consoles, just create your own playlist. I think it's awesome that today you can incorporate own music into the games - especially with sports games or wrestling, when those songs get the "arena echo" effect over it and are perfectly mixed with the crowd and other sound effects.

Works great. I have a complete own tracklist on NHL 12 (because, EA alsways has a horrible soundtrack in their games), so when my Red Wings enter it plays Detroit Rock City, when my Be a Pro player scores a goal, it plays The Hellion from Priest. in between i have a vast majority of Rock and Metal songs on random. I think the greatest thing ever was when i won the Stanley Cup, i come back to the menu and it played "Mighty Wings" from Cheap Trick, as playing for the Red Wings it was just perfect lol!
Same with Racing Wings...when it comes to fitting songs i go with Speed King and Highway Star, nothing can beat that feeling.
(Just wish i could do something like this with Red Dead Redemption and replace everything with some Ennio Morricone music)

I still want Brütal Legend 2 headbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Been playing real guitar for almost 20 years and I HATE Guitar Hero and Rock Band Guitar. The real factor is missing. Can you imagine how hard some songs would be on drums? I play only expert on drums and look at a song like Visions from Rock Band 2... You cant even read the notes as its just random flailing...

Rock Band Network has 100's and 100's of Metal songs of all genres...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 12:31 am

Moved this thread to the Fun and Games section.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?   How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How about a music video game that's devoted only to metal?
Page 1 of 1