Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NWOAHM

Go down 
+20
brokentulsa
krokus
BearOnUnicycle
allthingsmetal
EmoElmo
jettafiend
Wargod
exact33
TheGreatDuck
tohostudios
Wurthless
Vexer6
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
ShadowAngel
Shawn Of Fire
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
vgmaster9
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:37 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :
Eh?
Iron Maiden put out their debut 32 years ago, as did Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Tygers of Pan Tang and Def Leppard...
Venom put out their debut 31 years ago...
Saxon put out their debut 33 years ago...

And? Those are bands that were part of that movement, no one is saying it's new now. Now you refer to them as having a kind of sound that was started then.

Yes, but the same goes for NWOAHM. This term has already been used for quite some time now, though I kinda think it's mostly used by the people who think the "old" wave were bands like Bon Jovi and Poison, and those NWOAHM bands like K orn and Slipknot are bringing back metal after it "died" in the early '90s. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:11 am

Most of them are annoying, LambOfGod and Slipknot tops the list for me What a Face
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:00 am

Genre labels and semantics aside (I think I know what you are getting at), bands that you may be referring to, that I have found interesting (to some degree) are:
Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Revocation, the first Machinehead, Trivium (the Crusade), As I Lay Dying (An Ocean...), Slipknot (All Hope is Gone), FFDP (although they are extremely juvenile in their lyrics at times), etc. I know some may label these MetalCore, etc but they fit into what (I think) you are referencing.
Anyway, labels aside. If you like it....who really cares what it is called.
When in doubt, just throw in some OverKill and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:10 am

Not sure if it fits here, but I like the following song. Melodic and aggressive at the same time. If only there won't be so much growls/screamo(?) stuff. So I'm open for any suggestions of bands with clean singing.

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 3:06 pm

I prefere the real heavy metal from the USA like TWISTED TOWER DIRE, OCTOBER 31, SKULLVIEW etc....traditional heavy metal without modern influences or metalcore etc...PURE AND REAL METAL FOR REAL METALHEADS.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Krokus, a question - just hypothetically -, say a band has a lot of riffs, clean/powerful vocals, lots and lots of obvious roots in classic metal melodic approach/sound etc, but just happens to also have some key parts, a growl here and there, bass shredding, and a 20 minute song - is this real metal you would listen to?
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Quote :
I'm sure many of you have listened to different New Wave Of American Heavy Metal bands, like Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God, Slipknot, Machine Head, etc. What are you favorite bands?

I have no use for any of these bands you listed. Most modern American metal is just not anything I am interested in. I do like Godsmack and some of Disturbed but even those bands are old. I dig Benedictum but they have a solid 80s metal vibe about them. I prefer the old 70s and 80s metal and alot of the European metal that is coming out now like Crashdiet, Reckless Love and power bands like hammerfall, Jorn and firewind. Seems like a lot of the new music coming from Europe has a solid 70s/80s influence behind it.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Krokus, a question - just hypothetically -, say a band has a lot of riffs, clean/powerful vocals, lots and lots of obvious roots in classic metal melodic approach/sound etc, but just happens to also have some key parts, a growl here and there, bass shredding, and a 20 minute song - is this real metal you would listen to?

If 99% is traditional and 1% its not its fine for me, if the song is killer but if not, no. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Oh, the songs are pretty killer.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:29 pm

jettafiend wrote:
vgmaster9 wrote:
Has anyone heard the band Five Finger Death Punch? That band is actually pretty good.

Yeah, those guys are overly angry at society and they really need to invest in a dictionary or a thesaurus or something and learn some new words. Cool graphics throughout the CD jacket, unfortunately that does not make the album listenable.

I love the Showdown except for their first album, Shadows fall and Theocracy, beyond that none really come to mind.

The Showdown really peaked with Temptation Come My Way IMO, that album is great all the way through (my #1 album the year of it's release) and I really loved the direction they went with on there. Unfortunatly, the great songwriting dissapeared with the follow up and the one after that as well (though a few songs had potential but never quite reached that level). Shadows Fall are decent enough and Theocracy can do no wrong with me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 am

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
vgmaster9 wrote:
Has anyone heard the band Five Finger Death Punch? That band is actually pretty good.

Yeah, those guys are overly angry at society and they really need to invest in a dictionary or a thesaurus or something and learn some new words. Cool graphics throughout the CD jacket, unfortunately that does not make the album listenable.

I love the Showdown except for their first album, Shadows fall and Theocracy, beyond that none really come to mind.

The Showdown really peaked with Temptation Come My Way IMO, that album is great all the way through (my #1 album the year of it's release) and I really loved the direction they went with on there. Unfortunatly, the great songwriting dissapeared with the follow up and the one after that as well (though a few songs had potential but never quite reached that level). Shadows Fall are decent enough and Theocracy can do no wrong with me.

I love TCMW, it is a fantastic traditional metal album. I thought Backbreaker was good, not great, and Blood in the Gears Blew me away. It is really aggressive but still retains the melody that they have been developing since Temptation. I personally think that the songwriting has gotten better and matured quite a bit. I like the lyrical approach on Backbreaker but the music sounds a little forced. I think that the Showdown need to be on a label that does not cater to primarily the metalcore trash, and they will develop quickly instead of (assumption) being forced into that sound like Demon Hunter or Haste the Day. (Another 2 pretty good bands that I do enjoy on occasion) I will say that my oldest son is a much bigger fan of Demon Hunter than I am. It's his favorite band since he started paying attention to music.

Theocracy are one of my all time favorites and I completely agree, they cannot do anything wrong.

Funny thing, the first time that I heard SF I hated them, I personally and not a fan of the death metal style vocals. The War Within hooked me though, and is still my favorite album of theirs. I will say that all their albums are good But WW is definitely way above the rest of the catalog.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 7:59 am

Much like NWOBHM, NWOAHM isn't an actual movement, it's just a way to describe the lot of thrash/groove influenced metal bands that started pouring out of the States during the height of the grunge scene.

That said, when I first got into extreme metal, these were the bands that were readily available to me. I thought the song "11th Hour" by Lamb of God was the most brutal track ever laid to tape and that Howard Jones of Killswitch Engage was the best screaming vocalist ever. They were getting airplay on my then-favorite TV show, Uranium, and I was getting exposed to all these seemingly awesome metal bands. It mixed well with the hardcore punk stuff I was really into at the time.

I despise these bands today after my tastes matured and I researched the history and evolution of the heavy metal genre, but I credit them with getting me through some tough times, giving me an outlet for my anger at the time, and most importantly for exposing me to the sound of extreme metal music in general.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 11:09 am

Not a fan of any of those bands
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 5:06 pm

I love Machine Head, but they are the exception when it comes to this genre. I find most of these bands bland and soulless. Killswitch Engage would be another exception though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 pm

I live Sevendust. Does that count?

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 5:57 pm

They should and they are better then many of the others.
Back to top Go down
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

Number of posts : 56

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Down is another good example. It was founded by Pantera's vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NWOAHM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NWOAHM
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: