Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NWOAHM

Go down 
+20
brokentulsa
krokus
BearOnUnicycle
allthingsmetal
EmoElmo
jettafiend
Wargod
exact33
TheGreatDuck
tohostudios
Wurthless
Vexer6
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Lurideath
ShadowAngel
Shawn Of Fire
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
vgmaster9
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

Number of posts : 56

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm sure many of you have listened to different New Wave Of American Heavy Metal bands, like Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God, Slipknot, Machine Head, etc. What are you favorite bands? Post some songs that you like too.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I like some Machine Head, but if those are the NWOAHM bands, then what a disappointing movement that is.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I would have to say none quite honestly...... I don't subscribe to the American 'metal' need to be overly greasy, grimy, hopeless, and uneducated, while ripping off the worst of Faith No More and Pantera.

I'd really rather my band be under that instead since we are newish and are American Heavy Metal. lol!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Slipknot put out their first album 13 years ago...

Machine Head put our their first album 18 years ago...

Hardly "new wave" of anything...

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:18 pm

vgmaster9 wrote:
I'm sure many of you have listened to different New Wave Of American Heavy Metal bands, like Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God, Slipknot, Machine Head, etc. What are you favorite bands? Post some songs that you like too.

Those aren't New Wave of American Heavy Metal Bands, those are the Has Beens of Nu 'Meta' and thankfully some bands died, some 'musicians' died (like that Shitknot Pig) while now the USA is trying to get a bit more Emo...real Metal can be found in Europe....Sweden, Finland, Germany, Denmark...try your like there Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Quote :
thankfully some bands died, some 'musicians' died (like that Shitknot Pig)

Not cool...not cool at all. You should never be thankful that anyone died...

Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:34 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
vgmaster9 wrote:

Those aren't New Wave of American Heavy Metal Bands, those are the Has Beens of Nu 'Meta' and thankfully some bands died, some 'musicians' died (like that Shitknot Pig) while now the USA is trying to get a bit more Emo...real Metal can be found in Europe....Sweden, Finland, Germany, Denmark...try your like there Smile

I have listened to bands over there, like Accept, Running Wild, Sonata Arctia, Nightwish, Avantasia, etc, but there's more to metal than them. You may not like the movement, but at least they're more metal than those other bands such as Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Absolutely none of them. Hard to really call that stuff "metal".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:44 pm

I sort of thought the new wave of metal bands is White Wizzard, Enforcer, Icarus Witch, etc.

Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I sort of thought the new wave of metal bands is bands like White Wizzard and Icarus Witch.

Wrong movement, that's the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal. NWOAHM bands incorporate heavy metal with other genres like alternative metal, hardcore punk, metalcore, thrash metal, groove metal, melodic death metal, etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Hoo boy. I've seen this episode before. Unlike my last therapy session, this one doesn't conclude with a happy ending.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:08 pm

^ that's just it though, few bands and songs truly incorporate Heavy Metal, a lead or a clean vocal here or there isn't the same thing.................... - typically, regardless of sub-genre, we expect at least one of these two things in metal: 1. that musically it utilizes higher skill and/or maturity on all instruments, the guitars especially, and that they are played with intensity of style and tone to match 2. that mood-wise/lyrically/in song structuring, it offers an escape and/or catharsis not oft found in other styles of rock music. Explicitly gory death metal eschews a lot of the lyrical maturity, obviously, but has musicianship, mood, and heaviness that rips your head off. Doom metal may not be 'complex' like in the first example, but is still played with maturity, skill, majesty. When you talk about Running Wild, old Nightwish, Accept, etc, it's easy to pinpoint all these qualities, despite each band sounding different. The majority of the groove/core stuff, on the other hand, abandons all of those qualities for a lot of qualities more commonly found in hip hop and hardcore. It's not merely infused; the balance is way off. Labyrinth incorporates electronic influences in their music and it is seamlessly integrated; they don't suddenly become Project Pitchfork because there's a drum machine under a single guitar line.

It seems with things like this, the metal title is a heralded one to go after. There must be a reason for that. Which leads me to this: if everything is metal, nothing can be metal. It's not merely semantics....it's right there in the music.
Back to top Go down
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
It seems with things like this, the metal title is a heralded one to go after. There must be a reason for that. Which leads me to this: if everything is metal, nothing can be metal. It's not merely semantics....it's right there in the music.

I can agree on that, not every genre should be metal, like say pop, hard rock, rap, funk, alternative rock, etc. But really, the movement took the genre to a different approach. I think it made up for the nu metal stuff that was going on in the late 90s/early 00s, that was probably the most hated genre since glam metal back in the 80s (though i like a bit of both, just not as metal genres). At least progressive metalcore bands like Trivium and As I Lay Dying are actually more metal than all those screamo bands that claim to be metalcore.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:41 pm

You think glam metal was hated? Until grunge came it was selling in the millions and many of those bands are still around.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:43 pm

I like Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb Of God and Slipknot OK.
Back to top Go down
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
You think glam metal was hated? Until grunge came it was selling in the millions and many of those bands are still around.

I mean by the metalheads. It lead to the development of thrash, they wanted to make a more aggressive version of NWOBHM bands.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Quote :
I'd really rather my band be under that instead since we are newish and are American Heavy Metal. lol!

Try not bathing regularly and beefing about everything in your lyrics.
Back to top Go down
vgmaster9
Metal novice
Metal novice
vgmaster9

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Has anyone heard the band Five Finger Death Punch? That band is actually pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 7:32 pm

vgmaster9 wrote:
Has anyone heard the band Five Finger Death Punch? That band is actually pretty good.

A bunch of my friends love that band, I can tolerate them. Their cover of "Bad Company" isn't terrible, though I like the original better.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
I like Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb Of God and Slipknot OK.

I actually love Avenged Sevenfold's "City Of Evil" album. I don't know that it's the "new wave" of anything but I sure dig it.

I like that they morphed from a "metalcore" band with lots of growling into a band where the lead singer actualy SINGS. And the song structures are anything but "pop". Listen to a song like "Wicked End" on City. Just when you think you know where the song is going, it changes into a symphonic break that sounds like the soundtrack to a Hellraiser movie.

Last edited by tohostudios on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Slipknot put out their first album 13 years ago...

Machine Head put our their first album 18 years ago...

Hardly "new wave" of anything...

Eh?
Iron Maiden put out their debut 32 years ago, as did Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Tygers of Pan Tang and Def Leppard...
Venom put out their debut 31 years ago...
Saxon put out their debut 33 years ago...

Hardly a "New Wave of British Heavy Metal"... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 pm

never really got into those bands.

Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I sort of thought the new wave of metal bands is White Wizzard, Enforcer, Icarus Witch, etc.

Agreed on this quote these are what are classified as that!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Quote :
Eh?
Iron Maiden put out their debut 32 years ago, as did Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Tygers of Pan Tang and Def Leppard...
Venom put out their debut 31 years ago...
Saxon put out their debut 33 years ago...

And? Those are bands that were part of that movement, no one is saying it's new now. Now you refer to them as having a kind of sound that was started then.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 4:32 am

vgmaster9 wrote:

Yeah, those guys are overly angry at society and they really need to invest in a dictionary or a thesaurus or something and learn some new words. Cool graphics throughout the CD jacket, unfortunately that does not make the album listenable.

I love the Showdown except for their first album, Shadows fall and Theocracy, beyond that none really come to mind.

Last edited by jettafiend on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NWOAHM Empty
PostSubject: Re: NWOAHM   NWOAHM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NWOAHM
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: