Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shouldn't bother me, but it does...

Go down 
+26
Addy
Grimmo
Eyesore
akeldama
GrandNational
JBall_Z
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
SAHB Healer
exact33
tohostudios
jettafiend
Dark Horseman
ShadowAngel
Vexer6
metalhead777
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalFRO
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
mc666
manny
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
kmorg
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Thank God I work with a bunch of old farts like me and don't have to deal with this kind of nonsense.

BTW Ult, while I sympathize with your feelings on this, it does sound like a case of OFS (Old Fart Syndrome). Laughing

I should know I've suffered with OFS for years.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 8:05 pm

My co-workers bust on my for having cds but they know the artists. I think there are a lot of great AC/DC covers out there. I know the Upper Crust's version of Back in Black just rocks,

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 pm

My boss is an old fart Blues guy (even older than me) and he thinks I am a tool because I prefer the "electrified" covers of old blues songs that Cream, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, etc recorded to the original blues versions. Muddy Waters and all that. Covers were a major staple of most late 60's hard rock bands, and he scoffs at them. So I guess it's just a matter of perspective and the going around coming around maybe.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Man - I do not have a clue what is going on any more. I am just gonna go crank some Exxplorer on old fashioned CD and not try to figure out what this thread is even talking about.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
mc666 wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
The question is how she find about tribute bands before listening to real AC/DC or Zep.
probably uses the "similar artists" function on Spotify.

If you search AC/DC or Led Zeppelin on Spotify, tribute albums come up automatically.

Now she's listening to a tribute version of Metallica's Enter Sandman. Haha! I walked into her office again and checked to see who it was and she said, "what, that's not the right song either?" to which I replied, "nope". I'm sure she thinks I'm a tool.

Yes Scott... you are the one with the problem. Wink
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 12:08 am

mc666 wrote:
not everyone cares to know the history of a song or band. some just like what they hear & enjoy it. realistically people like us, who stuff like that actually matters to, are the minority imo.

You are spot on Monty. All except for one co-worker listens to rap/hip-hop or whatever top 40 music is currently playing and I have to to hear this sh*t day in and day out out of their loud headphones, and needless to say, all of them are clueless when it comes to the history aspect of music, which isn't a surprise of course. It's bad and embarrassing when I have to tell a girl in her 20's that the song she's humming to is a chorus taken from a Paula Abdul song and she doesn't even know it. Yes, the apocalypse is upon us.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 12:20 am

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:23 am

Tell her to play '77. If they're on there, that's about as close you're going to get to Bon Scott-era AC/DC without actually listening to AC/DC.

So ridiculous how blatant they are. Haha. So good, though.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:48 am

Going back to 2005, I stumbled across a music store in Singapore that sold wall-to-wall of covers music. I remember looking at cds which showed the original artist names and titles, but these were not originals at all - just local bands performing covers. I vaguely recollect seeing a similar outlet in Melaka, Malaysia as well. Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 352445
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:16 am

GrandNational wrote:
mc666 wrote:
not everyone cares to know the history of a song or band. some just like what they hear & enjoy it. realistically people like us, who stuff like that actually matters to, are the minority imo.

You are spot on Monty. All except for one co-worker listens to rap/hip-hop or whatever top 40 music is currently playing and I have to to hear this sh*t day in and day out out of their loud headphones, and needless to say, all of them are clueless when it comes to the history aspect of music, which isn't a surprise of course. It's bad and embarrassing when I have to tell a girl in her 20's that the song she's humming to is a chorus taken from a Paula Abdul song and she doesn't even know it. Yes, the apocalypse is upon us.

Razz

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:41 am

Eyesore wrote:
Tell her to play '77. If they're on there, that's about as close you're going to get to Bon Scott-era AC/DC without actually listening to AC/DC.

Wow - you are not kidding!!!! Are these the illegitimate bastard children than AC/DC fathered on the road?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 8:42 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Wow - you are not kidding!!!! Are these the illegitimate bastard children than AC/DC fathered on the road?

Bon Scott knew his time on earth was going to be short so he had to get busy as often as possible
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 am

ultmetal wrote:
Some of my employees listen to Spotify while they work. I don't mind that, but one employee listens to Led Zeppelin and AC/DC a lot. She is in her 20's. I hear the music cranking out from in her room quite a bit. What bothers me about it is, none of the songs are original AC/DC or Led Zeppelin songs. They are all covers by tribute bands yet she doesn't even realize they are not the real songs. I guess AC/DC and Zeppelin aren't on Spotify.

I went into her room today to see who this one really bad AC/DC tribute band was (AD/CD was their name) and she looked at me and said, "what, you don't know who this is?" I responded, "no, I know it's an AC/DC song, but that's not AC/DC". She said, "it's not? Well, it sounds just like them." I went to my room, grabbed my iPod, plugged in "Back in Black" for her and said, "that's AC/DC!" She responded, "I don't hear the difference." UGH!

Should have played Highway to Hell or something from the Bon Scott Era maybe she would have bought a clue heh

Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 11:07 am

jstate wrote:
I've always wondered what the rights issues are with these "tribute" things. Do they pay for the rights to use the songs? Or is the tribute thing a loophole?

A band/musician is allowed to record a cover/"tribute" song as long as the original performers/songwriters are paid a portion of whatever proceeds are generated.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 11:20 am

Most of what today's youth does (music habits or otherwise) on a daily basis annoys me. It shouldn't, but it does. Now get off my lawn.

Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Grumpy_old_man

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 2:55 pm

manny wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Bon Scott knew his time on earth was going to be short so he had to get busy as often as possible
Seriously, right? I'd love to hate this band just because they are 110% unoriginal, but damn they do it so well. Haha.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:40 pm

At least some of your co-workers CAN listen to music. My job would be a lot more bearable with that privelage. That being said, it is very sad she doesn't know the difference between the covers and origionals but that's just a sign of the times.

Speaking of covers, that stupid new movie with Tom Cruise has a cover of Pour Some Sugar On Me that has less balls than the origional (and as we know, that's quite a feat).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah, I heard that cover of Sugar. Gack, the original was spineless enough; this version sounds like a wedding band playing it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:42 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
Is this even a new thing? Remember File-Sharing from 10 years ago (Kazaa and Emule and that crap) when Songs were mislabeled and so many bands got songs labeled to them when they never did it (Weird Al Yankovic has a very, very, very long list on his website dedicated to this, songs that apparently he did, when he didn't)

Ha -I remember a discussion I had with a student who had Nothin' But a Good Time by Warrant in his files, and his inability to grasp that it was by Poison, not Warrant.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
manny wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Seriously, right? I'd love to hate this band just because they are 110% unoriginal, but damn they do it so well. Haha.

Yeah, no joke! Like Manny said, Bon was busy during his time on Earth! LOL!

I may have to pick up their albums
Back to top Go down
steelerbrian
Metal novice
Metal novice
steelerbrian

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 pm

What the h**l is "Spotify"? I think that hearing a good or great cover of a good/great song will always lead me to hear the original if I haven't aleady. So then, all the cover songs in the world will still help to educate/enlighten the heretofore 'unknowing'. But I concur with you that the sour taste left behind after hearing a crappy cover and being told by the listener that they thought it was the original and then that the original sounds the same. Keep in mind that she's young (20's) and also that not everybody is blessed with 'metal sensibility'. Our duty, those of us that perceive it, is to attempt to 'spread the disease', but we cannot work miracles with the hordes of those who are 'metal deaf'. Just look at the top 40 at any given time. Most of humanity are operating on a base level and are easily edified by pop culture sewage and couldn't understand or enjoy Metal if they were taught it 7 days a week.... and that's a good thing! Ours is a minority niche and thank G-d for that! So go ahead and attempt to enlighten, but don't spin your wheels trying to save the unsaveable.
no really, what is Spotify? (jk, ha)
Back to top Go down
http://monoblogist.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shouldn't bother me, but it does...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: