Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shouldn't bother me, but it does...

Go down 
+26
Addy
Grimmo
Eyesore
akeldama
GrandNational
JBall_Z
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
SAHB Healer
exact33
tohostudios
jettafiend
Dark Horseman
ShadowAngel
Vexer6
metalhead777
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalFRO
jstate
Fat Freddy
BearOnUnicycle
mc666
manny
Shawn Of Fire
thejokeriv
kmorg
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Empty
PostSubject: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Some of my employees listen to Spotify while they work. I don't mind that, but one employee listens to Led Zeppelin and AC/DC a lot. She is in her 20's. I hear the music cranking out from in her room quite a bit. What bothers me about it is, none of the songs are original AC/DC or Led Zeppelin songs. They are all covers by tribute bands yet she doesn't even realize they are not the real songs. I guess AC/DC and Zeppelin aren't on Spotify.

I went into her room today to see who this one really bad AC/DC tribute band was (AD/CD was their name) and she looked at me and said, "what, you don't know who this is?" I responded, "no, I know it's an AC/DC song, but that's not AC/DC". She said, "it's not? Well, it sounds just like them." I went to my room, grabbed my iPod, plugged in "Back in Black" for her and said, "that's AC/DC!" She responded, "I don't hear the difference." UGH!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 1:48 pm

lol!

Yeah, AC/DC will never be a part of Spotify, and I believe they gave iTunes the cold shoulder also Very Happy

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 1:48 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Some of my employees listen to Spotify while they work. I don't mind that, but one employee listens to Led Zeppelin and AC/DC a lot. She is in her 20's. I hear the music cranking out from in her room quite a bit. What bothers me about it is, none of the songs are original AC/DC or Led Zeppelin songs. They are all covers by tribute bands yet she doesn't even realize they are not the real songs. I guess those bands aren't on Spotify.

I went into her room today to see who this one really bad AC/DC tribute band was (AD/CD was their name) and she looked at me and said, "what, you don't know who this is?" I responded, "no, I know it's an AC/DC song, but that's not AC/DC". She said, "it's not? Well, it sounds just like them." I went to my room, grabbed my iPod, plugged in "Back in Black" for her and said, "that's AC/DC!" She responded, "I don't hear the difference." UGH!

I'd say it's time to fire her - I work in HR and I would give my blessing for that one!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!! Just kidding about firing her!!!!

Actually, that would bug me too! I was very proud when my 9 year old son was listening to Stryper's The Covering and asked for me to put the originals on his iPod so he could listen to the originals. He does the same thing with songs he only has the live versions of - he asks for the studio versions too.

You are justified at being annoyed at that!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Quote :
You are justified at being annoyed at that!!!!!!

Yes...you are.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:03 pm

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She can't tell the difference between Bon Scott and some tool in a tribute band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 pm

not everyone cares to know the history of a song or band. some just like what they hear & enjoy it. realistically people like us, who stuff like that actually matters to, are the minority imo.

BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:08 pm

The question is how she find about tribute bands before listening to real AC/DC or Zep.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:11 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
The question is how she find about tribute bands before listening to real AC/DC or Zep.
probably uses the "similar artists" function on Spotify.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:17 pm

mc666 wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

If you search AC/DC or Led Zeppelin on Spotify, tribute albums come up automatically.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
mc666 wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

If you search AC/DC or Led Zeppelin on Spotify, tribute albums come up automatically.

Now she's listening to a tribute version of Metallica's Enter Sandman. Haha! I walked into her office again and checked to see who it was and she said, "what, that's not the right song either?" to which I replied, "nope". I'm sure she thinks I'm a tool.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Guess I'm too far behind progress...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:21 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
mc666 wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

Now she's listening to a tribute version of Metallica's Enter Sandman. Haha! I walked into her office again and checked to see who it was and she said, "what, that's not the right song either?" to which I replied, "nope". I'm sure she thinks I'm a tool.

Sounds like she need an education in METAL \m/
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:22 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
Guess I'm too far behind progress...

Considering many of us here are touting the glories of vinyl, I'd say many of us are 'too far behind progress." Razz

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Quote :

Laughing very hard

Seriously though, I'd knock it off if I were you, otherwise she'll be the one going to visit H.R. and telling them "That tool keeps harassing me about my music." Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:48 pm

I've always wondered what the rights issues are with these "tribute" things. Do they pay for the rights to use the songs? Or is the tribute thing a loophole?

Years back a friend of mine would buy these Drew Music discs from Wal-Mart that contained sound-a-like versions of the current hit songs. It was the only music she would buy.

I always laugh at my local library having a complete tribute album of AC/DC's Black Ice.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:01 pm

mc666 wrote:
not everyone cares to know the history of a song or band. some just like what they hear & enjoy it. realistically people like us, who stuff like that actually matters to, are the minority imo.

Sadly, I think you're spot on here. You'd think with tools like Shazam on smartphones and stuff like that people would take a bit more interest to find out who sings that song they like so much, but for someone who only enjoys music casually and listens to the radio versus purchasing much music, it makes sense. I'm too much of a left-brained nerd, however, to not sleuth out who sang/recorded what and find out all I can about stuff lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:02 pm

No..let me tell you what the worst thing is...........Glee fans gushing over how great Glee covers are and kind of going 'eh' at the originals................ Shouldn't bother me, but it does... 499945
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Fairly accurate portrayal of my reaction.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:34 pm

I really couldn't care less about whether other people know about music history or not, it's just something that's really not worth obsessing over, i'm in my 20s but I certainly know my history.

BTW, what the hell is Spotify anyways? I've never heard of it before.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
I really couldn't care less about whether other people know about music history or not, it's just something that's really not worth obsessing over, i'm in my 20s but I certainly know my history.

Spotify is an on-line music streaming service.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

Spotify is an on-line music streaming service.
Explains why i've never of it, I don't usually stream music online, though I do occasionally use iTunes.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Is this even a new thing? Remember File-Sharing from 10 years ago (Kazaa and Emule and that crap) when Songs were mislabeled and so many bands got songs labeled to them when they never did it (Weird Al Yankovic has a very, very, very long list on his website dedicated to this, songs that apparently he did, when he didn't)

And as for cover songs: Weren't people always ignorant about this? Thinking that Cover Songs were either the real deal (Knight Rider used it to it's advantage 30 years ago when all the songs on the show were bad cover versions) or the cover song was the original (like Status Quo - Rocking All Over the World, Santana - Black Magic Woman, Eric Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff and so on)
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Quote :
No..let me tell you what the worst thing is...........Glee fans gushing over how great Glee covers are and kind of going 'eh' at the originals................ Shouldn't bother me, but it does... 499945

It has to be a sign of the end.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :

It has to be a sign of the end.
I don't watch the show, but i've heard some of the songs and i'll admit they're actually not too bad, they're a few that I actually do prefer over the originals admittedly.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 6:59 pm

mc666 wrote:

I agree, listening to classic rock radio at work, talking to co-workers about the history of the bands, you can literally watch their eyes glaze over and they start drooling. LOL.

In my experience, most people do not truly care about the history of R n' R.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shouldn't bother me, but it does...   Shouldn't bother me, but it does... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shouldn't bother me, but it does...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: