Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.

Go down 
+12
BearOnUnicycle
assault_attack
Required Fields
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
manny
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
Lari
Wurthless
Orion Crystal Ice
Dark Horseman
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Empty
PostSubject: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 pm

This is just so I can see if there's any bands I need to check out.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 pm

This won't be amazingly simple but it may pay off more than just naming Rÿche wannabes....these bands have certain elements shared with QR and are as follows:

Power of Omens (some similar mood on 'Eyes of the Oracle', and vocalist Chris Salinas is remarkably similar to Tate many times)

Zero Hour (a lot of very, very similar mood on 'The Towers of Avarice', but ZH in general does tend to sound like Queensrÿche collided with Meshuggah..on the later albums, they even get Chris Salinas from Power of Omens)

Pagan's Mind (this one is more difficult to pin down, but basically, the way the entire band tends to lock together and just cook has always reminded me a lot of the way Rÿche does it on RFO and O:M).

Fates Warning circa 'No Exit' but that goes without saying..

There's just more to it than an outward resemblance, because many bands now play a very similar STYLE, but any number of variants can be applied to that style. QR had a certain intellect and deadly serious tone without much 'rock 'n roll' that helped make them stand out at the time and helps cement them as a beloved, classic group.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Here are two artists that resemble the Ryche.

Ion Vein -- the album Reigning Memories is their best, imo.

They did a cover of "Take Hold of the Flame" that's pulled off pretty well.

Lethal -- the album Programmed is their most Queensryche-like.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Hollow

Heavier, but clearly inspired by Queensryche.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 3:31 am

I really don't think FATES WARNING were. I think they just have some of the same influences (RUSH, IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, etc.).
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 5:48 am

I agree, felt like throwing that record in though since I was naming some stuff that captures some very specific elements without necessarily cloning that early sound of the band.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 am

Sacred Warrior

The Sacrificed

Deliverance

Seventhsign

Siam

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 am

I think directly or indirectly, almost any band that followed in their wake that is considered a prog metal band, IMO their influence was huge.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 10:54 am

In addition to some already mentioned, the bands Recon, Crimson Glory and Haven come to mind.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 pm

All great ones but no new ones. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:13 pm

manny wrote:
I think directly or indirectly, almost any band that followed in their wake that is considered a prog metal band, IMO their influence was huge.

Exactly!!!! Dream Theater has cited Queensryche as a big influence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
manny wrote:

Exactly!!!! Dream Theater has cited Queensryche as a big influence.

Yes, I think the Queensryche influence (not to downplay Rush and Pink Floyd who were huge influences on QR) was evident in many bands that followed. Although I have to say I don't like the majority of the bands they inspired...especially all the vocalists that tried to "outdo" Tate (who gets on my nerves to begin with). Dream Theater then managed to out-pretention even ELP...which was a herculean task.

Voivod were putting out much more interesting Prog-influenced albums at the end of the 80s.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Interesting you bring up Voi Vod because I do not think of them as a prog band, but the reality is they were releasing prog influenced albums from their debut onward.

Very true Queensryche were (and I assuming still are) l huge Pink Floyd fans, so much so they had asked to have James Gutherie to produce their full length debut.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 12:41 pm

manny wrote:
Interesting you bring up Voi Vod because I do not think of them as a prog band, but the reality is they were releasing prog influenced albums from their debut onward.

Voivod were the closest to actual prog during that era. Piggy's guitar style especially was derived from Robert Fripp's early 70s work on Lark's Tongues In Aspic, Starless & Bible Black and Red.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Screamer was pretty obviously influenced by Queensrÿche.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:13 pm

S.D. wrote:
Robert Fripp's early 70s work on Lark's Tongues In Aspic, Starless & Bible Black and Red.

humble humble humble humble
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Robert Fripp's early 70s work on Lark's Tongues In Aspic, Starless & Bible Black and Red.

I have been listening to Red & USA live lately in my Ipod, Stunning band.

Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  775710

I know these bands have been mentioned but, Lethal would be at the top of my list, Tom Malicoat vocals nail it for me. Siam 1st cd also.

Not sure about Crimson Glory, a great band but didn't they start about the same time? I could be wrong
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 9:40 am

assault_attack wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I have been listening to Red & USA live lately in my Ipod, Stunning band.

Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  775710

I know these bands have been mentioned but, Lethal would be at the top of my list, Tom Malicoat vocals nail it for me. Siam 1st cd also.

Not sure about Crimson Glory, a great band but didn't they start about the same time? I could be wrong
But Lethal also started out in 1982, so I don't think these bands were influenced by the sound of Ryche, but more with the success of it. I'm sure I've read an interview with Lethal's guitarist which said there were many bands exploring this kind of music in that time.

Back to the topic - Conditioned Response. I posted them in prog metal thread, and now I will here, because they are great.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 11:25 am

Despite sounding like that was playing through a Philco, mono speake,r car radio it was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 12:39 pm

There's a couple of album tracks on youtube. All from their first album.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Circus Maximus

Wicked Maraya

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm gonna pimp this band from now on. I know Wurthless likes them. My favorite new band, with probably more FW than Ryche and some euro power/late Edguy.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 3:22 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
I'm gonna pimp this band from now on. I know Wurthless likes them. My favorite new band, with probably more FW than Ryche and some euro power/late Edguy.

Definitely dude, great album and band. If I remember correctly, they're working on their sophomore album now... can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Deliverance borrowed from Queensryche (vocally). Both bands can thank Bowie and Dickinson.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.    Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands you think were influenced by Queensryche.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next