Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The world is backwards

Go down 
+6
mc666
bassman
Troublezone
Lari
Dark Horseman
chewie
10 posters
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

The world is backwards Empty
PostSubject: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Common sense is no more:

http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/05/17/suspended-for-stopping-assault/

Quote :
DEL REY OAKS, Monterey County (CBS 5) – Safeway has suspended an employee at a Monterey County store, despite being called a hero by police for stopping a domestic assault in the store last month.

Ryan Young, a meat clerk at the Safeway in Del Rey Oaks, said he was doing his job when he saw Quyen Van Tran beating his girlfriend, who is six months pregnant.

“Every few seconds he would turn around and push her and then he actually kicked her,” Young said. “I told him to calm down and he was just irate.”

Young said Tran refused to stop and jumped in to stop the assault.

“I saw no one was intervening in the situation and I just became afraid for her safety and also other customers safety,” Young said. “The guy was out of control and pretty much lost it in there.”

Chief Ron Langford of the Del Ray Oaks Police said if Ryan did not intervene, things could have become much worse for the victim.

But Young said Safeway has suspended him without pay, for supposedly violating company policy. The store has not given word on if or when he will be allowed back.

“We understand about policy, but at some point someone has to do something. And in my mind, in this case Ryan did the right thing,” Langford said.

Young has no income, while his wife is five months pregnant.

“It’s a tremendous amount of stress on me, my wife as well. And I don’t think anyone should have to second-guess themselves or feel bad doing something that was right,” he said.

Even if Safeway doesn’t agree, Young said he has no regrets.

“How many people have been injured, murdered, whatever in front of everyone because everyone looks the other way and no one wants to get involved?” he said.

Safeway’s corporate offices have not responded to CBS 5’s requests for comment as of Tuesday night.

A manager at a Safeway store in San Francisco told CBS 5 he wasn’t sure of an official policy, but he said employees are supposed to contact store security or a manager if they see a conflict inside the store.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Dumb.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 3:53 pm

A promotion should have been in order.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Quote :

A manager at a Safeway store in San Francisco told CBS 5 he wasn’t sure of an official policy, but he said employees are supposed to contact store security or a manager if they see a conflict inside the store.

There's no time for that when something is happening right in front of you. Who knows how long it might take to find the manager or security guy.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Common sense is so uncommon these days.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:21 pm

if the guy lived around where i do, i'd offer him a job with better pay. there are so few stand up guys anymore.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 9:41 pm

mc, I was thinking it'd be cool if another store gave him a job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

With the exposure this story is bringing on facebook the dude will have job offers coming out of his ears by early next week.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 11:22 pm

S.D. wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

With the exposure this story is bringing on facebook the dude will have job offers coming out of his ears by early next week.

Indeed. This situation is a perfect example of stupid corporate policies that are completely unrealistic. I am sure the policy was written by an attorney and then enforced by moron Human Resources people. I love Human Resources because they do a tremendous amount of stupid things and, in essence, practice law without a license.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 11:55 pm

My buddy is a manager at CVS and they have all these corporate rules and regulations about not get involved in any conflicts/thefts, etc., and just calling security rather than going after the perpetrators because of all kinds of legal issues, which is standard I guess in these types of stores. A few times he's seen people walk away with things and he couldn't even go after them, except for one time when he called the police and helped them run the guy down a block away from the store.

Anyway, if Safeway wants to save face, this guy should be given a raise and a promotion. Perhaps a community boycott can help his cause.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I think the policy not to get involved is good because people who are trained to handle conflict should, but when instances like this arise that there is no time to react because bodily harm is happening, the employee is right to react.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 6:27 pm

exact33 wrote:
I think the policy not to get involved is good because people who are trained to handle conflict should, but when instances like this arise that there is no time to react because bodily harm is happening, the employee is right to react.

That's what i'm saying... Only when no one else is around should a person take action. Otherwise let the trained people do their jobs.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 10:51 am

exact33 wrote:

My brother is a high school teacher and a few years ago, he got written up and admonished for breaking up a fight between 2 students in the hallway. The school policy is to call security and not get involved for fear of lawsuits. Seemed pretty dumb to me, but what do I know.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:56 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

My brother is a high school teacher and a few years ago, he got written up and admonished for breaking up a fight between 2 students in the hallway. The school policy is to call security and not get involved for fear of lawsuits. Seemed pretty dumb to me, but what do I know.

The beautiful litigious society that we live in!

"Land of the Free" my ass...........
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 2:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

and he would have been one of the people named in the lawsuit if he didnt help and one of the kids was seriously injured or more. Cant do anything right in today's world.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The world is backwards   The world is backwards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The world is backwards
Page 1 of 1