Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Doom spelled backwards is "mood"

Go down 
+3
SAHB Healer
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Empty
PostSubject: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:07 pm

I am by no means a doomhead. I dabble a bit in the genre. But I am curious to see how many doom fans there are. And Black Sabbath isn't a doom band. They had a few doomy songs, but they, as a whole, are not doom. However, they are VERY influential on the genre.

Some of my favorite doom bands are Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass, Oversoul (really only a project), Doomshine, Cathedral (Forest is a pure doom album), and probably my favorite (although maybe considered doom-death) Runemagick.

Thoughts?

Last edited by on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Don't forget the first two Trouble albums (PSALM 9 aka TROUBLE and THE SKULL)...they're about as doomy as doom gets.

By the way, "doom" spelled backwards is "mood."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:18 pm

True on the Trouble albums. Although they changed alot on Run To The Light.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:21 pm

If you accept Paramaecium as doom, then that would be my choice....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:22 pm

Yep Paramaecium are positively doom. Good choice.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 pm

Howzabout Saint Vitus? I only have their "V" album but they're pretty damn doomy.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2007 9:28 pm

Yep. Good choice.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 1:32 am

The doomiest CD I've ever heard is called SEVENCHURCH- "Bleak Insight". I love doom and I love this album, but I don't think I've ever been able to listen to the thing completely through. It's extremely depressing. It's a perfect mix of Sleep, Joy Division, and Veni Domine. Every song is very proggy and ten minutes long. Grueling beyond endurance.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2007 2:40 am

Cathedral, My Silent Wake (doom/death), Paramacium, old Anathema, Paradise Lost, and Veni Domine. I need to expand my doom collection. One band I have my eyes set on are November's Doom. I've heard some samples and am quite impressed.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 9:31 pm

I Like some.
TROUBLE,PARAMAECIUM,PLACE OF SKULLS,MY SILENT WAKE
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 12:32 am

spectrefate wrote:
I am by no means a doomhead. I dabble a bit in the genre. But I am curious to see how many doom fans there are. And Black Sabbath isn't a doom band. They had a few doomy songs, but they, as a whole, are not doom. However, they are VERY influential on the genre.

Holy cow Batman, Black Sabbath isn't a doom band???!!!!??? Have I been duped my whole life?

I wonder what Trog has to say about this.

And yes, my comment was sarcastic. The first thought that ran in my mind after I read that was how :defleppard: it sounded. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 1:08 am

Some of my favorites:

Solitude Aeturnus
Candlemass
Wall Of Sleep
Las Cruces
While Heaven Wept
Last Chapter
Morgion
Slumber
Gates of Slumber
Moonspell (more doom than anything else, I think)

I grudgingly list Gates Of Slumber; the band members hate me because I like The Sword. Haha. Killer band, though.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 8:33 am

Actually Black Sabbath are the pioneers of doom, as well as metal to many, every doom band can trace their roots back to Sabbath, Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus as well as many others, also have songs that don't fit the doom tag.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 4:24 pm

candlemass wrote:
Actually Black Sabbath are the pioneers of doom, as well as metal to many, every doom band can trace their roots back to Sabbath, Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus as well as many others, also have songs that don't fit the doom tag.
But Sabbath has far more songs that are not anything like doom songs. I won't argue that songs like "Black Sabbath" were the foundation of what became the doom genre, but Black Sabbath overall were not what I'd call a doom band.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Eyesore wrote:
candlemass wrote:
But Sabbath has far more songs that are not anything like doom songs. I won't argue that songs like "Black Sabbath" were the foundation of what became the doom genre, but Black Sabbath overall were not what I'd call a doom band.

True, yet almost every LP had elements of doom to them, far more then your average rock or metal band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doom spelled backwards is "mood"   Doom spelled backwards is "mood" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doom spelled backwards is "mood"
Page 1 of 1