Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bret Michael's New Solo Album

Go down 
+14
MetalRob331
bass63
exact33
Hadley
nevermore
Getizzyback
Troublezone
Eyesore
Metal Misfit
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
manny
MetalGuy71
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Bret Michael's New Solo Album Empty
PostSubject: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:05 am

I doubt this will get much love here, however I gotta admit, he's got a pretty impressive guest list...

Quote :
Bret Michaels has lined up a whole string of top names to guest on his new solo album – which contains re-recordings of two classic Poison songs.

Called Get Your Rock On, the album is due out in the summer. Michaels has redone two Poison trcaks, with a little help from his friends. Both Ace Frehley and Michael Anthony play on Nothin’ But A Good Time, while Every Rose Has Its Thorn features Joe Perry and Bon Jovi bassist Hugh McDonald. Country legend Loretta Lynn duets with Michaels on the latter.

There’s also a cover of Sweet Home Alabama with the Skynyrd pair of Gary Rossington and Rickey Medlocke, while both Vinnie Paul and Jimmy Buffet also appear on the release.

Bret seemes to have carved out a nice little niche for himself in the post glory days. The guy finds a way to keep himself in the spotlight, that's for sure.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 am

This actually sounds interesting. A duet with Loretta Lynn ? That I have to hear.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:20 am

007 wrote:
This actually sounds interesting. A duet with Loretta Lynn ? That I have to hear.

You're a better man than I. Didn't he just do a duet of the same song with Miley Cyrus not that long ago?

EDIT: Nevermind. Bret & Miley did do a song together, but it wasn't Every Rose. Miley single handedly butchered Every Rose Has Its Thorn. Ugh.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:26 am

You are right no love from me, but I did see Poison live back in their heyday, and they put on a great show, and do like their albums ok.

I am impressed with the guest list, but so far his solo albums have been less then inspiring ( to say the least) and trading, as you say on past glories.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:28 am

You gotta give the guy credit, he knows how to wring every last bit of mileage he can out of that damn "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" song...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am

manny wrote:
You are right no love from me, but I did see Poison live back in their heyday, and they put on a great show, and do like their albums ok.

I am impressed with the guest list, but so far his solo albums have been less then inspiring ( to say the least) and trading, as you say on past glories.

I saw them once or twice back in the day as well. I liked them well enough. I have their Greatest Hits which is plenty for me. And their abysmal cover album they put out a coupla years ago. I got a free promo copy from work. Not sure why I hold onto it though. It's terrible.

Quote :

You gotta give the guy credit, he knows how to wring every last bit of mileage he can out of that damn "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" song...
Hey, at least he's not recording Broadway show tunes. Bret Michael's New Solo Album 778825

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am

Might give it a listen due to the guests but I have no expectations.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 pm

Poison still puts on a great show... and still sells tickets too!

Bret's solo stuff is pretty lame though. As said above, I have no expectations for this new album but that guest list *is* pretty interesting. I hope it shows up on Spotify.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:55 am

Yeah, his solo output is the definition of weak. Just not very good at all. And the tune "Get Your Rock On" is proof that nothing has changed.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 1:00 am

I'm surprised he didn't get Kid Rock.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Poison was great last year in Nashville, I was hoping for a new Poison disc soon, oh well no demand means go solo and record something with no demand......

Out of all the BM solo stuff, he has a "few" good songs, I can make a "Best of" cd by taking 1 or 2 songs off each album.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I'm surprised he didn't get Kid Rock.

That's for his next solo album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Is this what he meant by "You gotta cry tough"?

Quote :
Bret Michaels had a near breakdown after his elimination from TV's 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' according to RadarOnline.com. The website reports the Poison frontman was shocked that he was the first to be fired by Donald Trump on the show.

Bret's shocking elimination from the 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' Sunday night shocked audiences, but no-one was more stunned by the decision than Michaels himself. "Bret was crying and totally distraught after he was fired," a show insider tells RadarOnline.

The "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" singer returned to the show as a triumphant past season winner -- making it all the more shocking that he was first to the chopping block. "Bret totally went into the show believing he was going to win again," the source says. "He couldn't believe it that he was let go so quickly. It was brutal to watch him freaking out the way he did."

Donald Trump had to decide between axing Bret or La Toya Jackson, and in the end he chose to let the aging rocker go. "It was a mess when Bret was told the news and filming was done," the source says. "He couldn't stop crying and even the producers were trying to comfort him. No one expected him to have a meltdown like that."

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 pm

The only Bret solo album ive heard is Songs of Life which is pretty good. Havent heard any of his other stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Maybe theGeoff will let him be on the new album.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 5:54 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Is this what he meant by "You gotta cry tough"?

Quote :
Bret Michaels had a near breakdown after his elimination from TV's 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' according to RadarOnline.com. The website reports the Poison frontman was shocked that he was the first to be fired by Donald Trump on the show.

Bret's shocking elimination from the 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' Sunday night shocked audiences, but no-one was more stunned by the decision than Michaels himself. "Bret was crying and totally distraught after he was fired," a show insider tells RadarOnline.

The "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" singer returned to the show as a triumphant past season winner -- making it all the more shocking that he was first to the chopping block. "Bret totally went into the show believing he was going to win again," the source says. "He couldn't believe it that he was let go so quickly. It was brutal to watch him freaking out the way he did."

Donald Trump had to decide between axing Bret or La Toya Jackson, and in the end he chose to let the aging rocker go. "It was a mess when Bret was told the news and filming was done," the source says. "He couldn't stop crying and even the producers were trying to comfort him. No one expected him to have a meltdown like that."

I would cry too if I beat out by LaToya Jackson!!! Razz

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 1:22 pm

I thought this MelodicRock.com review was funny...

Quote :
Utter crap. Purely and simply….sh*t. Even worse, as at least sh*t can be used for fertilizer. Composting this release would be akin to dumping a 50 Gallon drum of highest quality Chernobyl soil into your veggie patch.

This type of collaboration release really is the lowest form of musical intelligence. Frankly, I'm amazed that Michaels found yet another excuse to roll out the same tired old songs for yet another run. Note to Bret – no one wants to hear these songs again, ok?

Take for example Nothing But a Good Time. Not only is this version devoid of any energy or signs of life, but he has rapper Lil Jon cannibalize any hint of a chorus melody. My ears are still pissed off with me. Just because you hung out with the dude on Celebrity Apprentice doesn't mean you need to make music with him. Didn't Meatloaf's last CD teach you any lessons?

And Sweet Home Alabama? Oh yeah…there's a song that is never covered elsewhere – let's do that!
I could go on, but frankly – if you need to read any further evidence to decide if this release is for you, then you deserve it.

The production is beyond sh*teous. The singing is horrendous. The songs are the same tired old craptastic tunes as featured on Bret's last 4 releases and the energy level rates about as high as his latest foray into getting laid on reality TV.

This is an insult to fans, an insult to all the guests rounded up to appear – seriously – how did he do that? Is Michaels really owed that many favors?

The Bottom Line
In a word – embarrassing. Embarrassing for all involved. Stunning that it took this may people to make an album this epically bad. One of the worst releases by a major artist that I have reviewed in the last 15 years.

Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 2:41 pm

I heard it...not impressed   fainting
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 3:24 pm

I read that MR.com review when it came out. Hilarious and harsh. It is really an awful album though.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 12:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :
Utter crap. Purely and simply….sh*t. Even worse, as at least sh*t can be used for fertilizer. Composting this release would be akin to dumping a 50 Gallon drum of highest quality Chernobyl soil into your veggie patch.

This type of collaboration release really is the lowest form of musical intelligence. Frankly, I'm amazed that Michaels found yet another excuse to roll out the same tired old songs for yet another run. Note to Bret – no one wants to hear these songs again, ok?

Take for example Nothing But a Good Time. Not only is this version devoid of any energy or signs of life, but he has rapper Lil Jon cannibalize any hint of a chorus melody. My ears are still pissed off with me. Just because you hung out with the dude on Celebrity Apprentice doesn't mean you need to make music with him. Didn't Meatloaf's last CD teach you any lessons?

And Sweet Home Alabama? Oh yeah…there's a song that is never covered elsewhere – let's do that!
I could go on, but frankly – if you need to read any further evidence to decide if this release is for you, then you deserve it.

The production is beyond sh*teous. The singing is horrendous. The songs are the same tired old craptastic tunes as featured on Bret's last 4 releases and the energy level rates about as high as his latest foray into getting laid on reality TV.

This is an insult to fans, an insult to all the guests rounded up to appear – seriously – how did he do that? Is Michaels really owed that many favors?

The Bottom Line
In a word – embarrassing. Embarrassing for all involved. Stunning that it took this may people to make an album this epically bad. One of the worst releases by a major artist that I have reviewed in the last 15 years.
This guy shouldn't be reviewing anything...
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

The Bottom Line
This guy shouldn't be reviewing anything...
Yea right, I have not heard this album yet, but I would much rather listen to it instead of reading that BS...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 9:09 pm

People that resort to bashing, insulting, or being downright disrespectful in their reviews, will never earn my respect. If you don't like an album that much, why bother the time to review it? He comes off as one of those ppl you would see comment on Loudwire about *this band is garbage* or *they suck*
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 10:28 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
People that resort to bashing, insulting, or being downright disrespectful in their reviews, will never earn my respect. If you don't like an album that much, why bother the time to review it?  He comes off as one of those ppl you would see comment on Loudwire about *this band is garbage* or *they suck*
Well, disliking or even hating an album does not mean one should not review it. That's nonsense. However, one can be critical and professional. And very few albums have no redeeming values. One can always find something positive about an album to counterbalance the negative.

The Internet culture, unfortunately, has turned this kind of review drivel into some sort of idiot's gold.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
People that resort to bashing, insulting, or being downright disrespectful in their reviews, will never earn my respect. If you don't like an album that much, why bother the time to review it?  He comes off as one of those ppl you would see comment on Loudwire about *this band is garbage* or *they suck*
Well, disliking or even hating an album does not mean one should not review it. That's nonsense. However, one can be critical and professional. And very few albums have no redeeming values. One can always find something positive about an album to counterbalance the negative.

The Internet culture, unfortunately, has turned this kind of review drivel into some sort of idiot's gold.
Well, I guess I meant in the context of, if all he has to say is nonsense, it was really a waste of time to even review it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 10:56 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Well, I guess I meant in the context of, if all he has to say is nonsense, it was really a waste of time to even review it.  
So in your divine wisdom, what he has to say is nonsense so that has to be the truth! Laughing very hard 

Maybe it really is that bad? (I'm guessing that it is)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bret Michael's New Solo Album   Bret Michael's New Solo Album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bret Michael's New Solo Album
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next