Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Greatest Hits

Go down 
+19
mr.electric39
Chairman_Smith
INVADERS
Required Fields
T-Roy
ghost
scottmitchell74
SAHB Healer
Fat Freddy
mc666
spiritoradio
candlemass
ultmetal
krokus
kmorg
iamrockerfun
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Greatest Hits - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
I've never understood why a band would want or allow a comp.

I would bet that 9 times out of ten the band has nothing to do with'em... it's usually the record label's decision...

Of
course the tenth guy (the exception) is probably Gene Simmons... "hey,
let's put out yet another BEST OF KISS compilation!"
I think
you're exactly right. That makes allot of sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:39 am

It's Gene Simmons for sure. He want more cash...Laughing
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
I've never understood why a band would want or allow a comp.

I would bet that 9 times out of ten the band has nothing to do with'em... it's usually the record label's decision...

Of course the tenth guy (the exception) is probably Gene Simmons... "hey, let's put out yet another BEST OF KISS compilation!"

True. Usually, the only time a band wants to put out a comp is to fulfill any contractual obligations and they are at the end of their contract. It's easier to throw together a buncha hits than record a whole new album.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:45 am

T-Roy wrote:

True. Usually, the only time a band wants to put out a comp is to fulfill any contractual obligations and they are at the end of their contract. It's easier to throw together a buncha hits than record a whole new album.

Or, if the band no longer exists/is no longer signed to that label, they'll boil the band's catalog down to a dozen tracks or so on a single CD and then take the rest of the studio albums out of circulation.

Last edited by on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:50 am

[quote="Fat Freddy"][quote="MetalGuy71"]
Fat Freddy wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

True.
Usually, the only time a band wants to put out a comp is to fulfill any
contractual obligations and they are at the end of their contract. It's
easier to throw together a buncha hits than record a whole new
album.

Or, if the band no longer exists/is no longer
signed to that label, they'll boil the band's catalog down to a dozen
tracks or so on a single CD and then take the rest of the studio albums
out of circulation.
That sucks, no wonder all the small market
Christian bands i used to listen to, disapear so quickly at music
stores once they break up. LOL
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:53 am

T-Roy wrote:

Tell me about it brother!! If I had known what a pain in the ass it was gonna be to replace all my old Deliverance, Die Happy, Barren Cross, X-Sinner, etc. cassettes from back in the day with CD copies, I would've bought a CD player a few years earlier and saved myself a lot of time and heartbreak! Sad
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 12:00 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think they're worthless unless there's something exclusive on them.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

Tell me about it brother!! If I had known what a pain in the ass it was gonna be to replace all my old Deliverance, Die Happy, Barren Cross, X-Sinner, etc. cassettes from back in the day with CD copies, I would've bought a CD player a few years earlier and saved myself a lot of time and heartbreak! Sad

I really wish I had done that too; bought a cd player in 1989/1990 instead of in 1995 and transferred over earlier because I am not paying the outrageous ebay prices for bands like Hurricane, Armored Saint, Keel, Krokus, Lillian Axe and a few others that I only have on cassette. I think I just went off topic in my own thread. Ahh, whatever. Smile
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 5:17 pm

I don't get greatest hits compilations unless there are some exclusive tracks to them (as stated by others) or if they're a band I don't feel the need to invest a lot of money in but I'd like to have their hits,such as most hair metal bands(Cinderella,Poison,Warrant,etc.).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 2:01 pm

The only time I really buy best of cds is when I am trying to get into a band and they have a pretty extensive back catalog or the discs are hard to find or expensive. I will of course buy them when they feature exclusive material or come with a dvd.

What really bothers me is multiple best ofs by the same band. I shouldnt have to do research to figure out what the best best of to buy is. An example of this is I want to get into some more Venom and there are so many compilations out there I have no idea where to start.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 2:04 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 2:30 pm

Required Fields wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

lol!
You know whats funny, last year at the '06 Indy 500, I was watching
some pre-race commentary from reporters cruising the pits, talking to
various celebrities, and this gal ran into Gene and he gave this whole
rant on how great and exciting this race is and all....and then
(LMAO-still) she says, "hey Gene, can you show us all the tongue?". He
got all serious and said, NO. and Walked away. I WAS DYING!!! Poor
Gene, that’s all he's got left, is the worlds most famous licker! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 3:57 am

in general, greatest hits suck, but i only get greatest hits if i'm an avid collector of everything that particular band has done

the one thing i hate is when iron maiden put out greatest hits . . . They're all the same.

i mean, Iron Maiden are my favorite band and i owe everything by them (vinyl, singles, LPs, CDs, remasters, originals, imports, you name it), but the one thing i hate is when they put out best of's with just the singles on.

No classics from the first 2 albums, and none of the great epics . . .
cash-ins, i mean best of the beast was OK, from a collector's point of view, because you have the digipak book version and the japanese 4 LP boxset, but edward the great and the rest of them are just crap . . . .

phew . . . forgive me for my little rant but had to get that off my chest . . . LOL
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 7:25 am

I start out on new bands with 2 disc anthologies if they have them, then gradually buy the actual albums.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 9:54 pm

I've always them hated myself (except live albums... I don't own any Rush best of's...)
...... However....

$$$$$ is a hellva lot harder to come buy these days.... sooooo I do own several.... Priest, Iced Earth, a great Motorhead one with some 40 songs on it....., Scorpions.....
no Rush best ofs...... Blue Oyster Cult..... Y&T.....

Most of the time I've owned complete sets of either vinyl or cassettes or even cd's.... alas..... between all of lifes crap they've flown away..... So a good comp is a good compromise..... How could you decide which Priest disc to rebuy first??? or Scorps...???? I want satisfaction now!!!

🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 10:06 pm

Don't decide, buy 'em all. 🤘

I know what you're saying, though. I bought Best of the Beast and a kind of lame Priest comp for that very reason. Money don't grow on trees.

Greatest Hits - Page 2 Money20Tree
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:

I know what you're saying, though. I bought Best of the Beast and a kind of lame Priest comp for that very reason. Money don't grow on trees.

Dude, get out of my back yard!!! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 1:45 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:

I
know what you're saying, though. I bought Best of the Beast and a kind
of lame Priest comp for that very reason. Money don't grow on trees.

Dude, get out of my back yard!!! Laughing very hard
SENT!!! You've been holdin' out! Kick down and help a' brotha out!!!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 1:54 pm

I burried a few pennies in the back yard this weekend. Hopefully by next spring, I'll have some nice buds sprouting.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Your backyard, or, my mom's?Mad You son-of-a..!!!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 12:40 pm

Anyone ever buy one of these damn things thinking its an album? I was looking to finish my Iced Earth collection and just ran through the Amazon list and bought The Blessed and the Damned. Its a good collection and everything... but I have all the songs now! angry At least the booklet was a good read.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 12:54 pm

What really P.O's me is when a band does 2 albums & then comes out with a "best of". All that means is half of your first 2 albums sucked!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 1:37 pm

What I really hate is labels being so Nazi about collarberating with other labels.

It would be great to see ACTUAL EXTENSIVE best of collections.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 2:15 pm

I'll buy a "Best of" if it's a band I want to collect but don't have the money to collect. Like Steppenwolf "Gold" is a pretty good collection.

as for the million Kiss comps, the only one worth having is "Killers".
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2007 11:38 am

For me, if I discover a band that I like and their catalog is really long, I will buy a greatest hit album or a live album and use that to decide where to go from there. Recently I did that with Grave Digger and Primal Fear and have decided to persue their older releases in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Hits   Greatest Hits - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greatest Hits
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next