Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quick Change - Circus Of Death

Go down 
+4
Coram Deo
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Zdan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

Quick Change - Circus Of Death Empty
PostSubject: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Most thrashers love the usual classics of Exodus, Heathen, Forbidden, Vio-lence, Sodom, Kreator etc. Some go deeper to Xentrix, Realm etc. But I have this weird fascination with obscure often second-third tier bands - and consider most of them pretty good.

So any fans of this obscure Chicago thrash act and their 1988 Roadrunner album? I like the vibe of their music - it has this slight crossover/Anthrax vibe and also could be compared to a less frenetic Vio-lence at times. Also the album has a suprisingly good production for such an obscure release. There are tinges of power/thrash here and there and high vocals too! Actually the vocals are the low point - too buried in the mix and annoying at times. But the rest of the music is great in my mind!

Here are two songs from the album:

And the title track:

So any fans?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Good speed metal band similar to bands like Powermad, Intruder, Realm and Toxik.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:34 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Good speed metal band similar to bands like Powermad, Intruder, Realm and Toxik.

Funny thing. I would not put them next to those bands as Powermad, Intruder, Realm etc. were much cleaner and technical to me. Quick Change was a basic thrash outfit to my ears - more akin to Anthrax or even some crossover bands. There was melody but it was not as important as in say Realm or Intruder.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Exactly. Nowhere near that league of technicality or sophistication.
Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks for the exposure to QC Zdan!! Never heard of them. I like the music a lot. Great riffs. Ya, nothing too complex/Technical...But It's thrash, and I'm a sucker for it. So....Where do you get their stuff??

Zdan, have you heard of - Vulture - Easier to Lie....I'm guessing you have it, if you are into obscure. Though I don't think they are obscure, just below the radar. I think they are quite good. I think a release in 1993 wasn't helpful to them.

Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 1:55 am

Both bands are awesome. And I'm glad to own both discs.
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 4:06 am

I have that Quick Change but with 300+ cds to listen to i havent gotten to it yet.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 5:48 am

Temple Of Blood: Yeah. Just simple but effective thrashing.

Coram Deo: If you do not mind reissues a company from my country of Poland by the name of Metal Mind production has re-released the Quick Change album remastered and with two bonus tracks. I personally hunted down the original first pressing Roadrunner CD as I dislike digipacks and Metal Mind reissues if I can avoid them.

As for Vulture - of course I heard of them! I love both of their albums. The only problem with them is that their CD's are terribly hard to find and have been bootlegged a couple of times. Hunting them down is a real pain.

speed101: Give that Quick Change CD a whirl when you have time or just listen to the Youtube clips - you might like it if you are into thrash.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:16 am

Quick Change is good stuff,as is Vulture.I've always thought Vulture was one of the few rarities that is actually worth the money it brings online.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Quick Change is good stuff,as is Vulture.I've always thought Vulture was one of the few rarities that is actually worth the money it brings online.

I would agree on the Vulture part. Quick Change is pretty rare and expensive too if you want the Roadrunner disc in good condition. Shame that Vulture got bootlegged so much - you have to be careful what to buy. Another cool rarity would be Tynator - maybe I will do a thread on them someday too when I hunt down their album.

But Quick Change is good stuff. If the vocals were more prominent in the mix it would be even better. But I like the riffing and short-to-the-point songs.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 am

Heard of them, but never heard them. Sounds pretty good to me though. I could listen to more of this.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:42 am

Ahhh, excuse me,
Quick Change are speed metal somewhat similar to bands like Powermad, Intruder, Realm and Toxik, but no where near as technical or sophisticated as Powermad, Intruder, Realm and Toxik. Is that a better description?

Rolling Eyes

Razz

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 am

Kinda. Still not perfect as speed metal to me is Agent Steel, Exciter etc. Quick Change would be thrash Laughing
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Zdan wrote:
Kinda. Still not perfect as speed metal to me is Agent Steel, Exciter etc. Quick Change would be thrash Laughing

Such a fine line between speed metal and thrash. Some people think that bands like Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Coroner, etc. are the definition of thrash, and Quick Change don't fall neatly into that category at all. They also don't really sound like Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Testament, Overkill, etc. To me, they sound closer to bands like Powermad, Realm, Toxik, etc. than they do any of the other bands from the 'thrash' category.

Agent Steel are a good example of speed metal.

Exciter, like Anvil and Raven, don't fit neatly into either speed metal or thrash. They all pre-date thrash and are one of the inspirations for thrash, but are in my opinion, heavy metal bands.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:29 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Such a fine line between speed metal and thrash. Some people think that bands like Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Coroner, etc. are the definition of thrash, and Quick Change don't fall neatly into that category at all. They also don't really sound like Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Testament, Overkill, etc. To me, they sound closer to bands like Powermad, Realm, Toxik, etc. than they do any of the other bands from the 'thrash' category.

Agent Steel are a good example of speed metal.

Exciter, like Anvil and Raven, don't fit neatly into either speed metal or thrash. They all pre-date thrash and are one of the inspirations for thrash, but are in my opinion, heavy metal bands.

It is true that there is a fine line between speed and thrash metal. In some people's minds those terms are actually the same but I would venture to go say that they really aren't. For example speed metal bands to me would be things like:

Bloodlust, Agent Steel, Iron Angel, Warrant (Germany), Abattoir, Destructor etc. I would include Exciter and early Anvil in that group also as speed metal bands or bands having a very strong influence on speed metal. I find thrash to be more "choppy" and "riff-centered" than speed metal. It's really hard to describe.

Thrash to me is a much broader category and there can be overlap so there might be bands labeled as speed/thrash. But as said thrash is broad enough to have Morbid Saint, Sepultura, Kreator, Sodom, Coroner on one hand and things like Mekong Delta, Watchtower, Realm, later Intruder, Toxik etc on the other. I would put Quick Change as a thrash band - a sort of "middle-of-the-road thrash" as I call it. I would put stuff like Flotsam And Jetsam, early Anthrax, Overkill etc. in there. Quick Change to me sound like a simple thrash band with a Anthrax and less frenetic Vio-lence vibe. Powermad, Toxik etc. were much much more complex and clean sounding. Quick Change is basicly very simple and riff-centered (and simple riffs at that).
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Sub-Genres!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:

They are frustrating, and sometimes impossible to positively define, but they are much needed descriptions of music IMO. They are also fun to discuss with like-minded fans.

Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:

They are frustrating, and sometimes impossible to positively define, but they are much needed descriptions of music IMO. They are also fun to discuss with like-minded fans.

You're right,definitely impossible to define at times.Haha.

Anyway,on Quick Change's next release Money,Lust and Greed they changed their sound a bit.Still some good riffing though.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick Change - Circus Of Death   Quick Change - Circus Of Death Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick Change - Circus Of Death
Page 1 of 1