Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alan Parsons anyone?

Go down 
+9
jstate
chewie
stepcousin
tohostudios
exact33
Witchfinder
Troublezone
Dark Horseman
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Alan Parsons anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 4:44 pm

There's times when these guys scratch an itch I have, especially their Tales of Mystery and Imagination and Gaudi albums. They can be inconsistent at times and sort of Floyd litish too but some is worthy.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 pm

"Eye in the Sky" is a catchy tune.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Love Tales of Mystery and Imagination. Great great cd!!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

I love Turn Of A Friendly Card. Tales is good too.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 7:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I love Turn Of A Friendly Card. Tales is good too.

my 7th grade teacher played the album for us after our unit on Poe. The only thing is she didnt tell us who it was so I didnt find out until years later.
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 7:12 pm

i dig some APP once in a while. The man is a studio genius and he has a great sense of melody.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Turn Of A Friendly Card featured the semi-hit "Games People Play" but I enjoy some of the instrumentals more. Stuff like this:

I could play that for my parents and even they had to admit there was talent there.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Funny. My Mom actually doesn't hate this band either.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am

I enjoy APP. Members of Pilot and Ambrosia on the first album.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:50 am

I got an Alan Parsons Project record when I was a kid from a yard sale. Probably because of Eye In The Sky. But I remember actually really liking it. No idea why I never got any of their other stuff or whatever happen to that record. One of those things you dig for a while then completely forget about.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 pm

I only know a few songs here and there of them but I like what I have heard, "I Robot" in particular. That one always sounded so cool through headphones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 1:13 pm

I admire them more than enjoy them, though I used to own Turn Of A Friendly Card and Eye In The Sky when I was younger.

Steely Dan is more my cup of tea now.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 2:16 pm

I enjoy The Dan too. Used to hate them when I was younger though. But I always liked APP (although Eye In The Sky was way overplayed back in the day).

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 2:31 pm

But what would they play at sporting events without Eye and it's lead in Sirius?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 2:34 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
But what would they play at sporting events without Eye and it's lead in Sirius?

They were a studio-only band, so they didn't need to worry about things like that.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 pm

I think he meant that stadiums play Eye all the time.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Yep, it's a total arena, sports rock song.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Yeah I don't mind APP I don't own alot by them but they can be good at times!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:14 pm

New to this forum. Hopefully it is OK to bump old threads.

Big APP fan ever since I saw their video for "Prime Time" when I was a kid. Have all their albums from the 1970s and 1980s on vinyl and/or cassette and a few on CD after that (though I'm not as much of a fan of their output without the late, great Eric Woolfson).

Ammonia Avenue is my favorite album ever. It was the first APP album I bought (via Columbia House Record Club). So many great songs on it, even the instrumental "Pipeline" (I've always thought "Pipeline" would make a nice intro to someone's radio show). Gaudi isn't far behind, though. It is very underrated. Ever song on it is brilliant. If I get tired of searching for '80s metal albums I've yet to hear on Spotify, and I want to listen to something familiar, I often turn to Gaudi.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 am

Huh, I thought it was Alan Parsons who died but I just looked it up and he's alive and well. In fact, according to Wikipedia he engineered the new Steven Wilson album.

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 1:05 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Huh, I thought it was Alan Parsons who died but I just looked it up and he's alive and well. In fact, according to Wikipedia he engineered the new Steven Wilson album.

Correct. Steven wanted to record as much of the album "live in the studio" as possible which means he couldn't both perform and engineer the record at the same time, so he picked Alan Parsons to engineer and moved the recording sessions to Los Angeles to accommodate. He said in an interview that he believes Dark Side Of The Moon is one of the best sounding albums in history, so hiring Parsons to engineer was a no-brainer.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Well that's cool, kind of handing on the torch.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 3:22 pm

I enjoy APP too but it has been a while since I have listened to them. Had several albums on vinyl and now looking at what I have in my collection I have a live album and one called "Instrumental Works".

They sound pretty good live.

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 am

I've always loved them, not every song but most of it. I also liked related bands like Ambrosia, Pilot, Camel, and Keats.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alan Parsons anyone?   Alan Parsons anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alan Parsons anyone?
Page 1 of 1