Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Steel Maid

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Steel Maid Empty
PostSubject: Steel Maid   Steel Maid Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Steel Maid... you can guess immediately what kind of metal is their trade, right? It is weird that in the history of heavy metal music there has never been a band with this name. I can even swear that I remember the trademark of Steel maId from my childhood or from my last midnight dream.

The band plays powerful 80’s influenced heavy metal created by Ex-RITUAL STEEL-guitarist Dirk Johannsen. He has done a magnificent work in this album with the strange title “Raptor” (I will continue to wonder what is the creative art link “steel-raptor”) ... Well, one is for sure, the raptors appeared before the inventing of the steel. And the song “Raptor” is an instrumental. So, raptors are first. But etymology enough!

The music is extremely pleasant for listening and it sounds very German. It reminds the Teutonic scene although it is a mixture of Euro and US metal featuring the well known vocalist Al Firicano from RAVAGE. His deep male voice fits great to this music. In the previous year I was indeed impressed by their last album “The End of Tomorrow”. Some reviewers pointed Al Firicano’s vocal lines as not enough melodic and even terrible. However my opinion is the opposite: his voice is excellent!!! Male enough!!! And I love his vocals not less than these of U.D.O.; GRAVE DIGGER’s Chris Boltendahl or SABATON’s Joakim Brodén.

10 points for Karthago Records for choosing to release exactly this album with exactly this vocalist!

The riffs are mostly heavy and catchy, true metal, but not too picky. Similar stories have been done before and one can only ask how many times, but STEEL MAID sound like they have thousands of steel armours with which they could defeat masses of metal fans. The guitars are as if they come from the thick textbooks of the Music Academy – an awesome professional performance. Recommended songs: “Unbreakable”, “Hellwings of Fire”, “Die Fast”, “Armageddon”. You could also appreciate the two versions of “The Falling Angel”. In addition to the “old-new” 80’s heavy metal I can only tell you that the gender still has a lot of things to show and there are still admirers to the classic. And this album is one of the evidences.

The debut of STEEL MAID “Raptor” is a wonderful addition to the heavy metal discography of the fans respectful toward history of metal music. The album has built a strong bridge between the German and the US heavy metal in the best traditions of the style. Give it a try!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Steel Maid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel Maid   Steel Maid Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm

This came up cheap so I took your advice and got it. And is it ever killer. A really strong album. Only complaint would be "Raptor" goes on about three minutes too long. But that may have been more me wanting some vocals to come in at some point. Thanks for the recommendation, it's getting a ton of play.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Steel Maid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steel Maid   Steel Maid Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:50 pm

gonna have to scope it out, thanks pops headbanger

Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516