Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Surgical Steel

Go down 
+2
skullsmasher
the sentinel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 12:28 am

I remember seeing a movie titled, "Thunder Alley" on cable in the mid to late 1980's (and for years thought I had maybe either dreamt or imagined it) but could not remember one of the band that was prominently featured in the movie. Well, tonight, while reading some articles on Badlands on the net, I found the connection. Does anyone else know anything of this movie or band.

http://members.firstinter.net/markster/SURGICALSTEELPAGE.html
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 9:05 am

I remember Surgical Steel from the early 80's. They used to play clubs in Phoenix AZ a lot. I have few demos by them that I found online and a tune off of the "Metal Massacre III" album put out by Metal Blade Records back '83 or '84. Rob Halford took this band under his wing and helped them along to some degree. I used to go see them and thought they sounded quite a bit like Judas Priest, maybe that's why Rob liked them too. They were good, very polished and professional for a bar band but this was also the time when bands were a dime a dozen and were fighting like crazy to play in front of people.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 am

Great movie and one that sits proudly on my shelf right next to Decline the Metal Years...

Surprised nothing has been released by either the band or one of the many nostalgia labels around today.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 10:26 am

Check out out the Racer X band website. Under the topic of "Cool Stuff", there is a link to Surgical Steel featuring band history, clips, downloads, etc.

http://www.racerxband.com/cool.htm
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 12:15 pm

Yeah I saw them alot in Az. I liked Icon better
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 3:04 pm

I remember Thunder Alley! I even have it recorded on video. I'll have
to watch it again and look for Greg Chaisson, never suspected he was in
that movie.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Awesome. Thanks to all for the info and replies. A recently closed record store near my work is having a special 2 day sale before a grand reopening next month, and I am going to try and grab a copy of this on vhs. I don't think it has ever been released on DVD. Peace.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 11:25 pm

James B. wrote:

I gotta start buyin' from ebay again, cause I think that's the only way I am gonna get any Icon cd's or albums.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 12:49 pm

James B. wrote:

I used to see Icon quite a bit too. Flotsam and Jetsam were all over the place.

Remember the Bootlegger, Rockers, and the Mason Jar, lots of great bands went through there.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Just watched Thunder Alley on VHS. Great music movie, but Greg Chaisson was not in the band at that point, I guess. He was not on the credits, at least. I still think that Surgical Steel was a better band than the "heroes", Magic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Surgical Steel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgical Steel   Surgical Steel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Surgical Steel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: