Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Manly sounding Power Metal

Go down 
+20
Thrasher73
Shawn Of Fire
Speedmetalfreak
DallasBlack
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
kmorg
arachnoplasma
MoonChild
jstate
BearOnUnicycle
EmoElmo
Eyesore
Witchfinder
exact33
Lari
Temple of Blood
metalhead777
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Manly sounding Power Metal Empty
PostSubject: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 7:45 pm

You know what I'm talking about ... Running Wild, Grave Digger, Sabaton, Manowar and the like...

I don't care much for the flowery sounding power metal bands inspired by Helloween and Stratovarius. I want to discover more bands where the vocals sound like you're about to ride into the heat of battle, more like gruff but still melodic.

Any recommendations?

(and excuse the cheesiness of the topic, we are talking about a generally very cheesy side of metal here)
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 7:50 pm

I might also add Powerwolf to that list above, which I think are really good new entrants to the power metal field. Also the singer, Atilla Dorn, is Romanian so the band holds a sentimental value for me since I originally hailed from there.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 7:58 pm

How about Dark At Dawn:

or Kiuas:

Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Maybe Nightmare?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:04 pm

CAULDRON BORN - And Rome Shall Fall

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Grand Magus.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Lari wrote:

LOL Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Lari wrote:

Holy crap! What the hell was that?!?!?!?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Who the hell knows, it's Japanese. But they seem to be really into it (live TV show version):

I found that by accident via internet meme site engrishfunny.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Lari wrote:

Holy crap! What the hell was that?!?!?!?

nothing good!!

For manly powermetal try Burning Black:

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
Grand Magus.

Yes! Rock solid.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 12:09 am

Some really great recommendations - (sans Babymetal, which I found very disturbing but like a car crash you just can't look away lol)

Grand Magus feels doomier than what I expected but they are very good sounding. A certain Sabbath / Candlemass-ish feel but at the same time different too, more European influenced. Unfortunately their albums seems hard to find and very expensive but I only searched at one place where I buy most of my stuff from.

Dark At Dawn - the vocals remind me a helluva lot of Jorn but good song.

Both Burning Black and Nightmare have that thrashy flavour that I like in power metal so yeah definitely good choices there too.

Not too crash hot about Kiuas but that may change. I guess not quite what I was expecting hear.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:09 am

Manowar is...manly? lol!

How about...

Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:48 am

Speaking of Manly...

Manly sounding Power Metal 9k=

Manly sounding Power Metal Manowar

Last edited by EmoElmo on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 am

people can take as many cheap shots they want at Manowar but fact is they are a huge band in Europe and very few can come close to the greatness of Eric Adams' voice.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 3:07 am

But they're not manly.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 3:15 am

I am not sure how manly or otherwise they are as people. They seem to think they are but the reason why I called this "manly" power metal is because it has that warrior, Rambo-esque spirit as opposed to flowery bands like Rhapsody / Luca Turilli which evoke this sort of LOTRish feel.

Bands like Manowar and Running Wild to me at least sound more aggressive and more heroic.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:25 am

Virgin Steele if you like ManOwaR. Of course Rage fits here and most US power bands like Vicious Rumors.
Check out Eternal Reign:

I've heard they sound a lot like Brainstorm; can't comment as I've never heard Brainstorm. But I own their first album, which is in the vein of Mental Reservation era Scanner (but faster) or Ulan Bator.
And speaking of Scanner:
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:39 am

I've been pimping Eternal Reign on this forum for years. Brilliant band. And yes, very similar to Brainstorm. Older Brainstorm.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 8:26 am

I give you Cage

Or how about Cirith Ungol

Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:14 am

Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:28 am

Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm

I prefer the heavier side of power-metal as well. I second the recommendations for Grand Magus and Persuader. A couple others I didn't see mentioned yet...

Rebellion - Originally formed by Uwe Lulis and Tomi Göttlich, ex-Grave Digger, though Lulis has since departed. This resulted in litigation with Chris Boltendahl because Lulis originally tried to use the Grave Digger name for the project. If you can look past band drama then they're a pretty good Grave Digger clone with a Viking metal theme.

Paragon - Straight-up aggressive German power-metal in the vein of Grave Digger, kinda thrashy.

Holy Martyr - If you want to get technical, this is categorized more commonly as "Epic Heavy Metal," but I think they would appeal to fans of the heavier side of power-metal either way. They remind me a little of Running Wild. I really enjoyed their last album, Invincible, but unfortunately there aren't many samples of it up on Youtube. Nothing wildly original, just some fun and well-crafted heavy metal.

DoomSword - I love these guys. Again, more "Epic Heavy Metal" (or even doom-metal) and less "Power-Metal," but I reckon fans of Manilla Road, Manowar, the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack, etc would dig 'em. Most of their songs are slow or mid-paced, but they have a few fast ones.

Hope you find something you like.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Excellent suggestions, arachnoplasma!

For that Running Wild sound I'll suggest X-Wild

PostSubject: Re: Manly sounding Power Metal   Manly sounding Power Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Manly sounding Power Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next