Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?

Go down 
+24
adrian
JBall_Z
krokus
Shawn Of Fire
Louder
Metal Misfit
Wargod
metalinmyveins
tohostudios
TheDoctor'sScarf
Temple of Blood
mc666
Troublezone
kmorg
Witchfinder
Leatherface
James B.
thejokeriv
manny
Fat Freddy
exact33
BearOnUnicycle
MEGATRON
EmoElmo
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :
Another aspect that cannot be replicated by the internet is going to the record store

That's what I miss about "the old days". I used to love walking into one of my favorite indy record stores and heading straight for the "Employee Recommendations" listening posts. I knew which employees had musical tastes similar to mine and found a ton of bands that way that I never would have even heard OF much less heard.

In high school, I discovered a lot of bands of a record store employee who was into metal. He never steered me wrong!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:19 pm

I got into metal during the internet age. Very Happy

The internet definitely adds to the enjoyment for the reason already mentioned -- you're made aware of so many different bands. It's great.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:39 pm

mc666 wrote:
piss on the old days. i like being able to find unlimited music on the cheap & have it delivered directly to my door. or sometimes instantly to my computer thanks to iTunes. plus just being introduced to bands that you would have no chance of knowing about otherwise.

i also like that you can preview albums from anyone. no more spending big cash on something, only to get it home & find out it is made up of 99% filler.

I agree with Mc. I have been teetering on the edge of going all digital but i like to preview the album samples before buying.

Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 7:54 am

Back when I was a kid just getting into Rock and Metal, I only had a couple dozen albums and a lot more free time. I listened to those albums over and over, read the liner notes and knew the lyrics by heart. These days I have so much music and so much less time that I find I generally don't get to know any of them as well as those early favorites.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 9:52 am

Louder wrote:
Back when I was a kid just getting into Rock and Metal, I only had a couple dozen albums and a lot more free time. I listened to those albums over and over, read the liner notes and knew the lyrics by heart. These days I have so much music and so much less time that I find I generally don't get to know any of them as well as those early favorites.

My exact same sentiments, too much food on the table is never a good thing. Your hunger quickly diminishes before you could even have your first bite
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:07 am

S.D. wrote:

I wouldn't want to go back to the old way.

If I grew up in West Virginia, either would I brother

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:11 am

The internet has certainly done away with the old paper catalog days; taking a chance based on artwork or hearsay, waiting 4-6 weeks for delivery, etc.

Plus, with all the options (Facebook, Bandcamp, MySpace, iTunes, eMusic, Rhapsody, Spotify, etc) you can hear pretty much anything.

I have to say though, that sometimes the sheer number of bands competing for attention can be overwhelming.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The internet has certainly done away with the old paper catalog days; taking a chance based on artwork or hearsay, waiting 4-6 weeks for delivery, etc.

Plus, with all the options (Facebook, Bandcamp, MySpace, iTunes, eMusic, Rhapsody, Spotify, etc) you can hear pretty much anything.

I have to say though, that sometimes the sheer number of bands competing for attention can be overwhelming.

Like I and other have said....the amount of stuff available in an instant is overwhelming sometimes. Like I posted earlier, I'd rather take time and enjoy alot about a little than have alot and not be able to soak it all in like I am accustomed to doing.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:28 am

James B. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Like I and other have said....the amount of stuff available in an instant is overwhelming sometimes. Like I posted earlier, I'd rather take time and enjoy alot about a little than have alot and not be able to soak it all in like I am accustomed to doing.

I agree...

I look at everyone's Top of 2011 lists and realize I've not heard over 80% of them...it's been that way for the last few years. I don't see how everyone has that much time.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 am

If you only listen to what you buy everything is easier. Just listen to some samplers on the net and if you like it, buy it and listen to it a lot. Thats the solution.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:04 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I agree...

I look at everyone's Top of 2011 lists and realize I've not heard over 80% of them...it's been that way for the last few years. I don't see how everyone has that much time.

Hell I can never even come up with a Top 20 lists, for one thing, I usually buy music used and very rarely the year it was actually released.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I agree...

Hell I can never even come up with a Top 20 lists, for one thing, I usually buy music used and very rarely the year it was actually released.

Me too...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:18 am

I was lucky to come up with a Top 5 for 2011... cuz my music purchasing was very limited this year (as it has been for the past few years)... so I only acquired five 2011 releases. Geez, it's a good thing I liked all five. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:26 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I was lucky to come up with a Top 5 for 2011... cuz my music purchasing was very limited this year (as it has been for the past few years)... so I only acquired five 2011 releases. Geez, it's a good thing I liked all five. Very Happy

I can solve that problem for you....... Less PBR means more CD'S!! Very Happy

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:27 am

kmorg wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I can solve that problem for you....... Less PBR means more CD'S!! Very Happy

I been slackin' on the PBR's too. Things is tuff all over, boss!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

I can relate to what Emo is saying. I remember the days when I had to stay up until one or two o'clock in the morning just to catch a glimpse of my favorite bands in action on the Midnight Special or In Concert. The whole experience, whether it was buying an album, watching a TV show, or listening to an album on the radio was more of an event.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:10 pm

I like that I can discover new bands on the internet.

I still go to local record stores, though I also order from amazon, ebay etc. I'd say the internet only helps me. By choosing not to fileshare, or listen to entire albums on sites like youtube, I still have the experience of going into a store, finding an album I want and buying it and then checking out all the inserts and everything when I get home

Of course the internet has been around longer than me so I don't know exactly what it was like to have not had it available
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:52 pm

I enjoy it today for the purchasing power it brings. Plus it's nice nostalgia to think back on the way it used to be. I do miss the old magazines and free weeklies/monthlies that used to be the big source for what to buy. The monthly ROXX used to have a reviewer who anything he gave four guitars or higher to, I bought. Never failed me once.

Problem with the easier buying methods and information is it severely cuts down on the listening times. Though the ipod certainly helps me out in that regard.

And I still get a thrill going to record stores. And these days I feel it even more important to hang onto that experience since I know too soon it won't be there.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 pm

adrian wrote:

Of course the internet has been around longer than me so I don't know exactly what it was like to have not had it available

It presents the challenge to find all of those good albums the hard Way, a lot of hit and miss but those are nothing, it's all part of the thrill. It's also a must to buy tons of Metal Magazines (for the reviews) if you want to lessen your misses, but sometimes even a great review can't even satisfy your taste buds, frustrating at times. Back in the days there were fewer competition so it's much easier to get into a band's album.
Back to top Go down
Speedmetalfreak
Metal student
Metal student
Speedmetalfreak

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:04 am

Internet has helped me acquire more metal knowledge and become familiar with tons of new bands. Besides, it is fun to be able to listen to some samples before buying the album.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:04 am

I miss walking into a record store and hearing a brand new album or demo tape being blasted on the stereo system. (OR a recent bootleg sometimes! I recall hearing Megadeth's Hook in Mouth live before the "So far.." LP was out,, or Anthrax covering Suicidal Tendencies' War Inside My Head)
Might not have made me buy THAT particular record, but put me in a good mood to buy something, even a fanzine, and made me feel like I was privy to what nobody sitting at home and only looking at mags or listening to radio knew.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 5:00 am

I got into metal in the Internet Age, so I don't know what it was like before. But as I live in a country (South Africa) where it's tricky to get hold of anything but the more popular metal bands in the stores, the internet has been a great help both in hearing what bands sound like and in getting hold of their albums - these days it's a rare occasion when I buy a CD from an actual store instead of ordering it online.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?   Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did you enjoy your Metal a lot more before the Internet Age?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2