Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Question?

Go down 
+22
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
EmoElmo
TheDoctor'sScarf
James B.
tohostudios
metalinmyveins
Andy
Joe
mc666
Dellocatus
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
manny
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
Alex Dee Rokket
adrian
Required Fields
krokus
speed101
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Metal Question? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm

speed101 wrote:
Another thing,have any of u seen much 80s metal fottage say on youtube youll see a ton of people looked metal then even in the us.U all act like theres never been any metal look in america.If any of u were into then also you know what im talking about.

You're not looking in the right areas. Try the mid-west or deep south. Acid-washed, ripped jeans and big hair are still all the fashion. Don't bother with the coasts & big cities. We're all metro-sexuals reading Vogue.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
speed101 wrote:
Another thing,have any of u seen much 80s metal fottage say on youtube youll see a ton of people looked metal then even in the us.U all act like theres never been any metal look in america.If any of u were into then also you know what im talking about.

You're not looking in the right areas. Try the mid-west or deep south. Acid-washed, ripped jeans and big hair are still all the fashion. Don't bother with the coasts & big cities. We're all metro-sexuals reading Vogue.

Damn you................................you east coast, scum sucking, boot lipped, mama's boy. How dare ya make fun of us peeps from the Mid-west like that!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Razz

Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:36 pm

When i said 80s metal looks i didnt mean as in Decline Of Western Cilvilization as that was more glam/hard rock.I mean as in bands like exumer,agent steel,king diamond,slayer and such with denim vests covered in patches/pins,band shirts,leather jackets,belts,and wristbands at least up until about 1987-88 anyways in the usa.After that it seemed to vanish.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm

speed101 wrote:
When i said 80s metal looks i didnt mean as in Decline Of Western Cilvilization as that was more glam/hard rock.I mean as in bands like exumer,agent steel,king diamond,slayer and such with denim vests covered in patches/pins,band shirts,leather jackets,belts,and wristbands at least up until about 1987-88 anyways in the usa.After that it seemed to vanish.

I am in Florida, and at least here, denim jackets with patches never caught on, maybe because its so damn hot. Wrist bands were very popular but the clubs and bars in my area banned them unless you were actually in the band performing. During the late 80's, early 90's when Tampa (where I live) was being called the 'death metal capitol' of the world, most bands dressed in ripped rock t shirts and jeans, just like the majority of the bands.

The glam scene here (which consisted of Roxx Gang, and that was about it) the dudes and especially the future housewives of Florida, went out of their way to burn a whole into ozone layer, hair teased, big boobies hanging out everywhere, while the music for the most part sucked, it was idea for people watching and easy pickens if you did not want to go home alone.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Andy wrote:
For me, metal is about the music, not the image. Also, if you're strictly speaking about concert pictures, many people get dressed up for shows to show support for the bands they like.

I dont even know which image is metal - there are so many bands with so many different looks i couldnt even tell....

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Let me see if I understand this.

If I claim to be a metalhead, other metalheads expect me to look, act, dress a certain way? Doesn't that make me a "conformist" to the "metal movement"? Which therefore creates an oxymoron because, by definition, "metalheads" are non-conformists.

Not to mention the impracticality of sporting long hair, lots of tattoos, lots of leather, spikes etc. while also trying to make a living at a REAL job. Most jobs I know of that pay near 6 figures don't usually look kindly on the "metal look".

I used to have the long hair, the earrings, the ratty clothing but ya know what? I finally realized I liked money a whole lot more than that crap.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:03 pm

tohostudios wrote:

If I claim to be a metalhead, other metalheads expect me to look, act, dress a certain way? Doesn't that make me a "conformist" to the "metal movement"? Which therefore creates an oxymoron because, by definition, "metalheads" are non-conformists.

Not to mention the impracticality of sporting long hair, lots of tattoos, lots of leather, spikes etc. while also trying to make a living at a REAL job. Most jobs I know of that pay near 6 figures don't usually look kindly on the "metal look".

I used to have the long hair, the earrings, the ratty clothing but ya know what? I finally realized I liked money a whole lot more than that crap.

metalheads like non-conformity until people dont conform to them...

James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm

I have a shaved head (15 years now), long fuzzy beard (changes from gotee to full depending on climate), and have half sleeves of ink blasted on both arms. Soem might call that a "metal" image but everyone I know and come in contact with say I'm a biker.

A lil retrospect. In hollywood back in the 80's (early/mid/late) the folks who got all dressed up were posers. They wanted to look the part of a musician but couldn't play. This applies to either glamsters, thrashers, and new wavers.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

I like wearing my leather jacket, patched denim vest, and jeans, but I also like to wear a T-shirt with slacks and a cardigan. I don't really like to stick to just one appearance as it feels like a uniform after a while. I do have long hair to hide my face.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:54 am

tohostudios wrote:

This is exactly why (as I mentioned in my post) I do not look metal. I like having a career and earning a close to 6 figure salary better than looking metal and being nearly destitute. I don't mind the metal look at all - I am not ragging on that but I would rather have the resources to buy music, and support the scene and artists that way, than to look like someone who belongs in a metal band ...

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 3:31 am

Andy wrote:
For me, metal is about the music, not the image. Also, if you're strictly speaking about concert pictures, many people get dressed up for shows to show support for the bands they like.

That would be sad. I dont really believe that. Its not a carnival wearing metal clothes, its a way of life.
And yes, in the 80s many were walking like us, also in the USA but even if today we are less, we are still strong together and we understand each other. We are keeping the flames of heavy metal burning in the streets with out looks and attitude. Not only behind a computer, but also facing face to face people around us. Punks, rappers, rockers, glammies, skins, etc.....are around on the same streets being proud of their movements. We are proud of ours too and we will show that.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:02 am

I don't think you are being realistic. I guess it depends by what standards you want to live, but if you want to earn a decent living which in turn can help you gain some level of financial independence, at least when you live on your own etc. it is impossible to find such a job that will both sustain your metal image and earn you a decent enough living to support yourself and your family adequately.

Both blue and white collar jobs often involve a dress code which you either accept or you have no job. At most jobs, turning up in metal shirts is simply not allowed. No matter how important metal may be to you and I, the rest of the world will not take you seriously if you turn up dressed like you belong to an 80s hair band or whatever. Can you imagine the reaction of a corporate client seeing someone dressed like a dirtbag?

Some may say f!&@ the rest of the world, but unfortunately we depend on it.

That does not exclude being able to find a job that offers you flexibility in dress code. Sure if you work as a store clerk at a music or dvd shop, or something hip like that then dressing up in band shirts or looking "metal" as you put it is almost part of the dress code. I think that is cool but the price you pay for wearing your band shirts to work is far greater than having a strict dress code. I mean you earn a pathetic living and can't do sh!t with your life, but maybe buy cds or something. Sorry to be so blunt.

And anyone who works full time, hardly has the time to worry about looking metal or showing their metalness in their free time. Where and what for is the question? People around you don't care, if they do care it is probably cause they think this person looks foul rather than oh cool denim patched vest or cool shirt... highly unlikely. That is why looking metal is normally just left for metsl shows where eveyone else is there in their full metal gear, almost like comicon only with more predictable costumes.

I am damn proud of the metal movement but the clothes don't make this movement stick, it is the music.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 am

I have lived in France and Belgium over the last 5 years or so, I must say whenever I see kids wearing a complete Metal outfit it truly creeps the bejeezus out of me being a third-world Metalhead that I am

Even If somebody offered me money to wear those, heck no freaking way
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:22 am

I once met a kid with a ManowaR shirt. Looked cool but doubt he understood he was the truest of the true warrior of the world. Most metal looking people here in Russia know only Aria (our Maiden clone band) and in reality listen to russian rock (our post-punk\rock bands' clones). So no reason to wear my Fates Warning shirt:|
Metal outfit is impractical. Jeans and a random shirt is my choice.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:27 am

krokus wrote:
Andy wrote:

That would be sad. I dont really believe that. Its not a carnival wearing metal clothes, its a way of life.
And yes, in the 80s many were walking like us, also in the USA but even if today we are less, we are still strong together and we understand each other. We are keeping the flames of heavy metal burning in the streets with out looks and attitude. Not only behind a computer, but also facing face to face people around us. Punks, rappers, rockers, glammies, skins, etc.....are around on the same streets being proud of their movements. We are proud of ours too and we will show that.

we keep the scene strong by buying the music and going to shows, not dressing up. Like toho and Alex, I work a professional job and I can buy a lot more cds because i earn money. Metal is what the hearer makes it to be - there is no predefined parameters to measure up to.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:27 am

*SIGH* Whenever this topic comes up it always turns into a circular cluster@#$%...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:29 am

krokus wrote:
Andy wrote:

For many Metal fans, myself included, it's just not possible to walk around in band shirts, spikes & leather every day. It should not be taken as a sign that those Metal fans who don't wear the uniform 24/7 are somehow not fans.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 am

The arguement about earning good money and appearances doesn't always apply. I look like a "dirty biker" and earn more than our resident legal professional.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 pm

People do what they want to do. It's not a set of rules to follow.

I wouldn't call wearing your metal clothes "dressing up", that would imply that it is done to become someone different. That is not the case. Those who choose to dress that way does so becasue it feels natural.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 pm

kmorg wrote:
People do what they want to do. It's not a set of rules to follow.

I wouldn't call wearing your metal clothes "dressing up", that would imply that it is done to become someone different. That is not the case. Those who choose to dress that way does so becasue it feels natural.

yeppers

Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 pm

I think what Krokus means is when your not working u can wear anything u like metal shirts,wristbands/belts,denim vests covered in patches/pins,and leather.He didnt mean you wear that when your working.Its a way of life for a lot who look like/dress like that as i do also.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:03 pm

I remember having to wear a uniform back when I worked in a hospital years ago and would sometimes sneak a band shirt in under my polo.

Sometimes I would take the polo off to show off my love for Maiden, Sabbath, and the Ramones. Haha.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:08 pm

exact33 wrote:
krokus wrote:
Andy wrote:

we keep the scene strong by buying the music and going to shows, not dressing up. Like toho and Alex, I work a professional job and I can buy a lot more cds because i earn money. Metal is what the hearer makes it to be - there is no predefined parameters to measure up to.

You can do both, buying music (i have nearly 7000 items between cds, lps, singles, etc...everything between hard rock and black metal but without modern influences) and dressing up. I always worked too (not now, like 22% of the people in Spain i am without a job) but when i was free, on saturdays, sundays, after work etc...i walked the way i still walk today and proud of it. I dont think anybody on this forum should attack anybody that dresses metal because what we are doing is keeping the flame of heavy metal burning in the streets, or do people only like to see rappers, white pretending to be black attitud, skins, punks etc...
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:12 pm

speed101 wrote:
I think what Krokus means is when your not working u can wear anything u like metal shirts,wristbands/belts,denim vests covered in patches/pins,and leather.He didnt mean you wear that when your working.Its a way of life for a lot who look like/dress like that as i do also.

Thats it, we all have to work to make money but after work we can kick some a.ss and be cool. Who want to look like their fathers????, stay young in mind and looks, it will make you happy, and if you are happy, people around you are happy (LOOK AT LEMMY FOR EXEMPLE). HAIL TO HEAVY METAL, HAIL TO YOU.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Question?   Metal Question? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Question?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next