Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone remember Columbia House?

Go down 
+15
stepcousin
kmorg
The_Jayroh
Ricky
DallasBlack
tohostudios
GrandNational
jstate
mc666
MetalGuy71
exact33
Fat Freddy
mlotek
manny
thejokeriv
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Spyder Jonez
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 35

Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 am

Yep, I remember both. I built my CD collections from the ages of 13-17 via Colombia House and BMG.... Yeah...
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 9:07 am

I lived in Indiana where both originated out of; Columbia House in Terre Haute and BMB in Indianapolis. I was only with Columbia House for a little while, but I was huge with BMG. I couldn't possibly tell you how many C.D's I got through those guys. I use to order under my name, my middle name, my Mother's name, my Father's name and maybe even my brothers. I would literally be getting 60 C.D's for free and only have to pay for 5 plus the shipping and handling charges. Then, I wouldn't order for two months and quit the subscription. BMG like clockwork would want my business from all five back in a matter of another month, and I was back to it again.

When I was at Indiana University I lived with two girls. I got called Jack Tripper all the time, it was hilarious. But anyways, one of them worked for BMG during the summer; she said not only did BMG know people were using false names, but they didn't really seem to be all that concerned with that practice. The only thing they cracked down on was the number of orders going to one residence. For instance, one of my buddies who was in a fraternity told me that BMG said there were too many people at one address and I think all business ceased at that particular address.

Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:34 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I couldn't possibly tell you how many C.D's I got through those guys. I use to order under my name, my middle name, my Mother's name, my Father's name and maybe even my brothers. I would literally be getting 60 C.D's for free and only have to pay for 5 plus the shipping and handling charges. Then, I wouldn't order for two months and quit the subscription. BMG like clockwork would want my business from all five back in a matter of another month, and I was back to it again.

This sounds exactly like me, because this is what I used to do all the time in the same manner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 pm

GrandNational wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
I couldn't possibly tell you how many C.D's I got through those guys. I use to order under my name, my middle name, my Mother's name, my Father's name and maybe even my brothers. I would literally be getting 60 C.D's for free and only have to pay for 5 plus the shipping and handling charges. Then, I wouldn't order for two months and quit the subscription. BMG like clockwork would want my business from all five back in a matter of another month, and I was back to it again.

This sounds exactly like me, because this is what I used to do all the time in the same manner.

me too
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 2:10 pm

I knew lots of guys who pulled that scam on Columbia House, but even though I was tempted to try that game as well, I stuck with my single membership. I guess I was afraid that I'd be the ONE guy they'd nail to the wall and make an example out of.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Quote :
I guess I was afraid that I'd be the ONE guy they'd nail to the wall and make an example out of.

Somebody at Megaupload that said the exact same thing. Weird.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 3:02 pm

I started ordering LP's and tapes when I was about 12. Ordered them all the time. Then I discovered BMG which had a better deal (buy one get 2 free). I was in it until a few years ago and I had no idea they went out of business.

I also bought my boxed sets from there. I bought The Police "Message In A Box" and when I did I qualified for "2 free of equal or lesser value". So yeah, it was a great place to buy boxed sets.

I also discovered two bands by not sending back those annoying return cards. Got Tesla "Mechanical Resonance" on cassette and thougth "What is this?!?". Played it and loved it. Same with MegaDeth "Countdown". Had no idea what it was played it and loved it. To this day those 2 are still on my playlist. Two best albums I had never heard at the time.

Many of my CD's still have the BMG stamp on the back. They play fine. I remember the tapes were cheap but don't remember ever comparing them to originals. Never complained about them then but also do not own them anymore.

I also remember Columbia House was still printing up Metallica's "Garage Days Re-Revisted 9.98 CD" long after it was out of print. That's how I got my copy when I upgraded from cassette.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone remember Columbia House?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2