Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone remember Columbia House?

Go down 
+15
stepcousin
kmorg
The_Jayroh
Ricky
DallasBlack
tohostudios
GrandNational
jstate
mc666
MetalGuy71
exact33
Fat Freddy
mlotek
manny
thejokeriv
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Anyone remember Columbia House? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 am

Interesting article on how they made money:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/91126
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 5:34 am

I remember I used to have numerous accounts under different names, and got tons of music that way.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 am

I remember Columbia House Vinyl and cassette always sounded worse than the major label pressings.... now I know why, inferior equipment! Of course, the onsite of the CD age changed that inferior sound quality issue!

I used to have accounts under mine and the ex's name (on both Columbia House and BMG) to boost the collection....
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 am

Don't tell them where I live now! Embarassed

I did actually pay all the way through once or twice on the membership, but you really had to figure out how to get the most bang for your buck - exactly how to get the maximum discounts so it wasn't a ripoff, but equal to paying to travel to and buy from a record store.

Funny, how so many people ripped off that company not sending any money, but Columbia was also shortchanging the industry.

Inferior equipment? Guess that is why many used record stores did not want to buy many tapes from me, probably just the ones they knew would sell quickly.

Their vinyl pressing of Scorpions WorldWide Live sounded ok, but I didn't have a great stereo, just one of the old console stereo/extended TV units from Sears.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:21 am

Had accounts with both BMG Music Service and Columbia House when I was in college. I couldn't resist those oh-so-tempting "Get a dozen CDs for a penny" magazine advertisements.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:28 am

I signed up with Columbia House once but I didnt like their selection much after i got the metal cds i wanted.

"In March 2000, the 60-year-old Parvin admitted that he had used 16 post office boxes and his own home address to fleece Columbia House and BMG out of 26,554 discs during a five-year span in the ’90s. He pleaded guilty to a single count of mail fraud."

thats a lot of cds!

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:42 am

exact33 wrote:
I signed up with Columbia House once but I didnt like their selection much after i got the metal cds i wanted.

"In March 2000, the 60-year-old Parvin admitted that he had used 16 post office boxes and his own home address to fleece Columbia House and BMG out of 26,554 discs during a five-year span in the ’90s. He pleaded guilty to a single count of mail fraud."

thats a lot of cds!

That eyesore is a clever fellow!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:45 am

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:

thats a lot of cds!

That eyesore is a clever fellow!

lol!

its a good thing this board has a line limitation otherwise he would post all 26K in one post!!!

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 9:47 am

My Columbia House scam went like this...

Back in my single, apartment-dwelling days, the previous tennent was on the Columbia House mailing list. When I'd get a packet, I'd write "return to sender, no longer lives here" on the envelope and then drop it back in the mailbox. I'd figure they'd catch on and stop the mailings. Nope. They still sent the packets to the old tennent every month or so.

After a few times, I said enough of this and placed an order. Got a bunch of cds for a penny. Then when the bill came in, I'd just do the old "return to sender" thing again. They caught on pretty quick after that and never sent anything again.

My apologies to the old tennent (John something) if I've ruined your credit score.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 am

i'm still a member of their dvd club.

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 11:00 am

I was always afraid to sign up for fear of getting constantly billed. In college I was just about the only one I knew who didn't. I have to say though that if their selection had been broader I might not have been able to resist the temptation. And do I ever hate receiving BMG issued releases from sellers.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 am

I never noticed the quality when it came to CD's but some of vinyl albums sounded like crap, and the tapes were cheap a$$ quality, I did not collect cassettes too often but I did one time under one of many alias would get tapes.

I joined under the names Bon Scott, John F Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, one time one of shippment of records came in and my mother was so angry that I had something sent under the name of John F Kennedy, I got grounded for a few days.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 am

manny wrote:
I remember I used to have numerous accounts under different names, and got tons of music that way.

Ha, same here! Along with BMG. And once I paid for the 1 full-priced album to complete the membership, I'd create new people accounts for more free CD's (usually family members or just fictitious ones) and also whatever albums came at full price was just sent back. These two companies pretty much started my CD collecting habits back when I was a teenager up until they went belly-up. I never really understood how they stayed in business because all my others friends were doing this too.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 11:30 am

GrandNational wrote:
manny wrote:

Ha, same here! Along with BMG. And once I paid for the 1 full-priced album to complete the membership, I'd create new people accounts for more free CD's (usually family members or just fictitious ones) and also whatever albums came at full price was just sent back. These two companies pretty much started my CD collecting habits back when I was a teenager up until they went belly-up. I never really understood how they stayed in business because all my others friends were doing this too.

It was peps like you and I that drove them to the poor house!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 11:43 am

I remember when Sony (owners of Columbia House) and Bertelsmann (owners of BMG Music Service) merged in the late 90s/early 00s, they combined both music clubs into one. I ended up getting a letter from BMG saying that my account with them was going to be transferred to a Columbia House account... but I already HAD a C.H. account. It took a while but I finally got someone on the phone there to tell them to cancel the 'extra' account, and they actually tried to talk me into keeping both accounts active. I said, "What the hell would be the point of that?"

...by the end of the conversation they'd cancelled one of the accounts and if memory serves they even sent me a coupon for a free CD for my trouble, so I made out OK on that deal. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 1:04 pm

manny wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
manny wrote:

Very Happy It was totally legal too. As long as I fulfilled whatever contractual obligation I had, there was nothing to stop me from opening up new accounts under family member and fictitious names for the free CD's. I'm sure they knew this would happen from the start, and I paid for all CD's I ever kept, so I didn't care that had 3 or 4 accounts open all at once. It was all about playing the system to your advantage if you can get through the loopholes they left open.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 1:10 pm

GrandNational wrote:
manny wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
manny wrote:

Very Happy It was totally legal too. As long as I fulfilled whatever contractual obligation I had, there was nothing to stop me from opening up new accounts under family member and fictitious names for the free CD's. I'm sure they knew this would happen from the start, and I paid for all CD's I ever kept, so I didn't care that had 3 or 4 accounts open all at once. It was all about playing the system to your advantage if you can get through the loopholes they left open.

And from the article, it sounds like they made money off people with multiple accounts
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 2:53 pm

I belonged to both clubs at one time or another. Where I made a killing was on BMG's box set sales. I think I bought about 80% of my box sets from BMG and for way cheaper than they were going for in record stores at the time.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Had accounts with both BMG Music Service and Columbia House when I was in college. I couldn't resist those oh-so-tempting "Get a dozen CDs for a penny" magazine advertisements.

I did both as a young teenager. Luckily, being a minor I really couldn't be held to a contract so never had to go all the way through with the CDs at regular price. Unfortunatly, 5 of the tapes I got I couldn't listen to because at the time my dad wouldn't let me listen to anything satanic or with a parental advisory lebel (I had two King Diamond albums, one Morbid Angel album, and some other stuff I wasn't allowed to listen to).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Where I made a killing was on BMG's box set sales

I hemmed & hawed quite a few times over ordering AC/DC's "BONFIRE" box set from BMG whenever they'd have one of those insane sales, but I never pulled the trigger on it. Now that I look back, of course, I wish I had.

Back to top Go down
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 12:45 am

I use to get a lot of stuff from them
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 1:09 am

Looks like I have the fortune of not having to deal with these guys
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 am

We had similar CD club thingies here in Norway as well. They soon caight up on the scam dangers, and allowed only 1 membership per household.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm

I did the "12 cassettes for a penny" thing about 8 times from about 1978 to about 1986. I probably owe them some money to this day.....
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 4:18 pm

I remember my dad was part of a similar deal but it wasn't these guys or BMG. Still have all the good metal cds
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember Columbia House?   Anyone remember Columbia House? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone remember Columbia House?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: