Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What age would you expose metal to your kids at?

Go down 
+28
skullsmasher
sam
Stender
Daybreaker
Orion Crystal Ice
DeathCult
Selvmord
rattpoison
mr.electric39
thejokeriv
AchrisK
Hamer12
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
TheGooch
SideShowDisaSter
mc666
Metal Misfit
sovdat
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
romeolimagolf
Smindas
spiritoradio
Shiney
scottmitchell74
Required Fields
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 6:06 pm

I feel sorry for all the poor little kids that had to endure Kiss and Aerosmith. You guys are terrible parents!

Razz

What a Face

ack
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My son's four and a half (and another one is on the way this August!) but he doesn't seem really interested in music at all right now. He hears my stuff when we're driving in the car (I keep it at a low volume, naturally, I'll let him destroy his OWN hearing when he gets older, hahaha!)... once in a while he'll like a song and ask me to play it again and again and again, though. We went thru a phase where I had to play BOC's "Godzilla" at least twice during our drive to drop him off at day care, and he'd be singing "Go go GODZILLA!" all the way.

My 4 1/2 year old son likes that song too - so does my daughter (2 1/2). My son was asking for cheap trick the other day (I want the mommy's alright, daddy's alright song)

They like metal - "I want to watch Iron Maiven (not a spelling error) in Germany"

I don't play em anything with curse words or overtly about sex (they only get some KISS songs, lol)
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 12:12 am

I was very careful on what I played for them. Not because of the music but lyrically. I didn't my eight year singing "I'm on the Highway to Hell !".... Shocked

I started off playing 'em Iron Maiden.... very selective... I musta heard 'The Clansman' 1000x's..... lyrically very historical.... same thing with 'The Trooper', 'Fear of the Dark' well duh.... what kid ain't ?!?!...

My main criteria was that it had to be "clean" lyrically... no 'hair of the dog'... or 'Let's Get it Up'..... but 'Back in Black' or 'Let there be Rock' YES... 'Aces High'... "Alexander the Great".... 'You've Got another Thing Coming'..... know what I mean... I gave 'em guidelines to follow for listening.... We avoided "the number of the beast" for a long time and when it finally appeared we talked about what the song was about.

My youngest son would always ask me... 'What's Two Minutes to Midnight' or 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' about...

As parents we gotta make sure are kids aren't totally left to their own devices... We gotta guide 'em... They dig Deliverance and Bride, but also Pillar, Day of Fire, Metallica, and Becoming the Archetype......

🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 9:29 am

I fail to see why you would avoid "The Number of the Beast" but perhaps you're in a far more religious environment than myself.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 10:42 am

Smindas wrote:
I fail to see why you would avoid "The Number of the Beast" but perhaps you're in a far more religious environment than myself.

Nicko McBrain said that he does not consider the song to be "pro-Satanic", although the song is open to interpretation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 11:06 am

To me NOTB is just a story...it's telling a story of some dude who glimpses a ceremony and gets caught up in Satanism...that's all...

LOL, that reminds me of when my 6 year old had her Ultimatum sticker (from a trade w/Scott) destroyed by her little sister I let her go to the local Hot Topic (please don't erect the gallows!) and I said she could choose any sticker or button she wanted. She picked a Killers button but MOM vetoed it because Eddie's on it!! Poor kid! So, she just picked one that said Iron Maiden....

You know my only concern is that stupid little kids at school will make fun of her when the "who do you like" band discussion comes up. We try to teach her to be her own person but you know she's gonna be in second grade next year and all the peer pressure nonsense starts to kick in. We just have to make sure as parents that we teach her to be confident in herself and to not care what others think. That's hard for a little kid, though, so I'm curious to see how this plays out...the key will be to be there for her.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 1:27 pm

Please understand guys... I'm as pro Metal as anyone..

when an eight year old would sing...

"666 the number of the beast, 666 the one for you and me,

I'm coming back, I will return
And I'll possess your body and I'll make you burn
I have the fire, I have the force
I have the power to make my evil take it's course"

I realize it's part of 'the story' of the song. but that is supposed to be good ole Beelzebub saying it right? Now do I think Maiden are satanists or any of this rubbish...? of course not. Nicko claimed to be a believer several years ago and I'm very happy for him.

Yet as care takers of our children would you expose your children to 'the Exorcist' or 'Pulp Fiction' say at the age of eight. Please don't pigeon hole me in some 'christian legalist box', that's not the point.

I just know scripture says Romans 12:2 'don't be conformed to the world, but be transformed by renewing your mind..."

I've tried to give guidelines and reasons (which are reasonable...) for simply not digesting every bit of musical whimsy that comes down the pike... My boys are older now 15, 14 and I know that they listen to NOTB, and Highway to hell and Hell's Bells.... so on and so forth.. but they know why pops tried to protect them a bit. They are older and a bit more mature now (I hope) ! :farao: cheers !
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 9:59 pm

Both my dad and my brother got me into metal. My dad got me into 70's metal (i.e. Rainbow, Black Sabbath) while my brother got me into 80's metal (i.e. Metal Church, Anthrax, Voivod). I got myself into 90's metal (i.e. Pantera, Flotsam and Jetsam) and will teach those eras of metal to my kids, especially the NWOBHM (i.e. Witchfinder General, Saxon)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 12:23 am

i started my son off with classicle music while he was in the womb...wagner,pagannini,ect..and i've worked my way up with him to bands like opeth and morbid angel... i say start with classicle music and your children will love all music that is good weather it's zeppelin or yngwie or cannibal corpse...classicle is the key
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2007 2:46 am

I'd probably start them off with bright visual bands showing them dvds of Kiss, New York Dolls, Poison, Motley Crue etc. Kids usually respond to those colorful bands hey i guess i do to.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 2:09 am

On a side note, one time last year, I had a co-worker who had a 12 year old son. She heard me mention Megadeth to another co-worker, and she mentioned her son listens to metal bands like them. She said she doesn't let her son listen to a lot of the music he really likes, due to "cursing and stuff". I decided to make a mix CD for him without any of the really "offensive" content on it.

I made a CD of about 79 minutes worth of metal, mostly of thrash stuff, but some traditional/power stuff and one or two death metal songs. She said that her son loved the album.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Depends on the band / song and the MATURITY of the kid. I let my 6 year old listen to Breakin The Law and don't think anything about it. I wouldn't, however let her listen to Slayer. You have to be a grown up, and decide what your kid is ready for, and what they are not. And not just let them listen to anything they want. Do your homework, and find out more about the music THEY are interested in too. Not just metal....
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 pm

In the womb.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 2:44 pm

There should be an all female power-thrash band called 'Metal Womb'.
Back to top Go down
Daybreaker
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 3:30 pm

I would be playing metal and hard rock all the time when the young un was born and before he could speak so I would hope some would rub off. I'll put it this way. I don't listen to anything lyrically that I wouldn't want my kid listening to. Even violent sounding thrash talks about political and world issues that could spark good conversations.

I think homeboy's idea of playing stuff his could could ask questions about like the Midnight clock and stuff is cool.

There really is alot of potential for educational smurf poo in metal. Just dont look for it in the P's under Poison.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 5:26 pm

If I had a kid I would most likely try to monitor the stuff for a while, til he/she got a good grasp on their personal values. Then.....after that......I would'nt hold back nothing!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 5:46 pm

It's all i listen too, so that they got no choice in the matter, they'll grow up on it. If they like it or not I could care less.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 9:31 am

I took my son to see BOC, and April Wine when he was 13 months old, gave him ear plugs and kept him back from the stage. He has loved it all ever since, now at 14 he is drifting away from some of the music I listen to and choosing his own, he is now going more for stuff like Korn, Slipknot, Devil Driver, stuff like that but still likes bands like Megadeth, Metallica, KISS, Cooper... you get the picture.

My daughter is 9 and her tastes are all over, she likes the Disney type bubble gum music but at the same time she wants Maiden, Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper and Ozzy on her Ipod. She loves "Dirty Diamonds" and the songs "Go to California", "American Witch" and "Foxy, Foxy" by Zombie. She also really likes the Jonas Brothers, who knows right now which direction she will take, for my sake I hope it is the rock/metal path. It will be a whole lot easier on my ears.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 10:58 am

I took my son to see Motley Crue when he was 5, and he's seen a many hardcore/punk bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Quote :
In the womb.
During the act of conception!!!! Bang your head!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 pm

My son was headbanging to Deliverance and Precious Death at 18 months old! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 12:18 pm

ANY age and EVERY age... 🤘
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 12:20 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
In the womb.
During the act of conception!!!! Bang your head!

Laughing very hard
Bang that head that doesn`t bang!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 11:04 pm

My mother used to listen KISS, when I was very young(1-4years), and I still remember it. So I think it is very important.

My little sister(2 years) had a good response to these bands: PINK FLOYD,QUEEN,ULTIMATUM(SHE LOVED IT),TWISTED SISTER,IRON MAIDEN, and Cookie monster
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:52 pm

powermacho wrote:
My mother used to listen KISS, when I was very young(1-4years), and I still remember it. So I think it is very important.

My little sister(2 years) had a good response to these bands: PINK FLOYD,QUEEN,ULTIMATUM(SHE LOVED IT),TWISTED SISTER,IRON MAIDEN, and Cookie monster

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What age would you expose metal to your kids at?   What age would you expose metal to your kids at? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What age would you expose metal to your kids at?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next