Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Down, then up, then down again

Go down 
+13
A Handful of Wayne
James B.
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Joe
Fat Freddy
Leatherface
Troublezone
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
mc666
metalhead777
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Down, then up, then down again Empty
PostSubject: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:01 pm

bands that you enjoy one or two albums from simply put.

I think 3 Inches of blood started as a generic NWOBHM style band with very little originality. Then I picked up Advance and Vanquish and it, to this day remains one of my favorite metal releases of all time. Everything fit together so well, and the vocals were so fitting for it. Yet, after that album the went back to the NWOBHM sound that Cam Pipes just doesn't sound right on vocal duties for. The guitar riffs went back to the same old predictable style and the songs, as before lost any sort of hook to catch me.

I've tried on multiple occasions to listen through Fire Up The Blades, and Here Waits Thy Doom. Only to turn the album off, bored to tears about half way through, WISHING I could like it.

Any similar experience?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Megadeth. 1 great album, 2 decent ones, & the rest bore me to tears.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 12:11 am

Most bands I listen to fall into this category. You can't expect the same greatness every time, it's just not possible. Mortification is a prime example.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 3:29 am

Pantera. Oh how awesome the firs two albums are. The rest just make me kind of go "Ehh"
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 3:50 am

The_Jayroh wrote:
Pantera. Oh how awesome the firs two albums are. The rest just make me kind of go "Ehh"
meh, their glam rock stuff make me go "ehh".

The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 4:43 am

mc666 wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

Forgot about their glam rock stuff. I was referring to Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 7:11 am

The_Jayroh wrote:
mc666 wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

Forgot about their glam rock stuff. I was referring to Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power

Yeah, those two (especially CFH) and also Power Metal. After that, they got too caught up in the booze... (drugs for Phil)

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 7:22 am

mc666 wrote:
Megadeth. 1 great album, 2 decent ones, & the rest bore me to tears.

I can agree. I like everything up to Rust. After that... it's downhill imo.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 am

Flotsam and Jetsam-really enjoy their early records but, since Quatro they really haven't done much for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 8:52 am

Leatherface wrote:
Flotsam and Jetsam-really enjoy their early records but, since Quatro they really haven't done much for me.

Somehow I knew you were gonna mention them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 9:05 am

Echo the sentiments on Flots & Jets. The first two albums are great, but pretty much everything I've heard since then has been varying degrees of "meh."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 am

Trivium came to mind for me. I like The Crusade, but I don't care for the other albums.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:58 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Echo the sentiments on Flots & Jets. The first two albums are great, but pretty much everything I've heard since then has been varying degrees of "meh."

That's how I felt about Exodus - their first album was a classic and the rest where just "meh" to me
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:58 am

Joe wrote:
Trivium came to mind for me. I like The Crusade, but I don't care for the other albums.

I second that.

Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 7:11 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's how I felt about Exodus - their first album was a classic and the rest where just "meh" to me
I loved Tempo and Shovel Headed, the last two were really meh.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 7:17 pm

I forgot Motley Crue. Really dig the first two records but, since they released Theater of Pain...no thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 7:38 pm

The_Jayroh wrote:
mc666 wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

What do you think of Power Metal? There is zero "glam" sounding material on that album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Required Fields wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:
mc666 wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

What do you think of Power Metal? There is zero "glam" sounding material on that album.

"we'll meet again", "over and out" (a remake of Glaze era) and "PST88" are glam sounding to my ears

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 9:59 pm

To pick one right now for me would be Believer. I first heard them on a college radio station I would listen to. The first song I heard of theirs was Dies Irae. I was blown away and thought the band did more songs like that. When I finally got the cd that song was from I was upset because that was the only song like that. His vocals are very hard to get into as well. Then I heard the Trilogy Of Knowledge and that is another great song and I love listening to that thing, but again that album sounded nothing like that song and I was really bummed out. When they returned and put out Gabriel I was hoping they would at least do some more songs like the ones I liked but nope. Then they released the new album which is totally different from their other albums and I really like the whole thing.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 10:19 pm

i like a fair amount of bands that really went downhill in album quality after a (sometimes short) while, though its hard for me to find zero enjoyment in a listening experience if im having to listen. dark funeral, belphegor, keep of kalessin (everything since the reformation is unlistenable) are some examples of bands that have been failing for a while now. but at least the first two are still worth seeing live.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 12:14 am

Leatherface wrote:
I forgot Motley Crue. Really dig the first two records but, since they released Theater of Pain...no thank you.

x2
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 6:22 am

James B. wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:
mc666 wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

"we'll meet again", "over and out" (a remake of Glaze era) and "PST88" are glam sounding to my ears

The whole Power Metal album sounds very 80's Judas Priest influenced. The only songs that have the glam vibe are Proud to be Loud, Hard Ride (in a Dokken way) and PST88.
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 7:08 am

Troublezone wrote:
James B. wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:
mc666 wrote:
The_Jayroh wrote:

The whole Power Metal album sounds very 80's Judas Priest influenced. The only songs that have the glam vibe are Proud to be Loud, Hard Ride (in a Dokken way) and PST88.

I actually haven't heard anything form the pre-Cowboys albums
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 pm

To be honest... I also like the "I Am the Night" record. It's a cool Ratt style metal album. It's very catchy with a lot of guitar hooks.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 7:06 pm

None of you mentioned this but I will pick Morbid Angel...

It goes something like this:

Domination - pretty good
Formulas Fatal to the Flesh - meh...
Gateways to Annihilation - damn awesome
Heretic - Shite

skip 8 years ahead .. Illud - no longer Morbid Angel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Down, then up, then down again   Down, then up, then down again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Down, then up, then down again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: