Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show

Go down 
+17
Metal Misfit
jerseyultifan+
The_Jayroh
Lurideath
Arjun_M
Mglaffas81
manny
Sutekh
DallasBlack
Eyesore
ultmetal
speed101
mc666
exact33
tohostudios
Ben Grimm
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Empty
PostSubject: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:25 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Detroit-wants-to-disinvite-Nickelback-from-its-T?urn=nfl-wp11074

Detroit wants to disinvite Nickelback from its Thanksgiving game

By Doug Farrar

Detroit wants to disinvite Nickelback from its Thanksgiving gameFrom the Motown Sound to the Motor City Madman, from the MC5 to Mitch Ryder, from Bob Seger to "Detroit Rock City," from Kid Rock to "8 Mile," the city of Detroit has a rich history when it comes to all kinds of rock and roll. And that's why the NFL really goofed up when it set the entertainment for this year's Detroit Lions Thanksgiving game -- another estimable Motor City tradition.

For the first time in eons, the Lions are a very exciting and competitive team, which means that football fans around the country will not be scheduling their post-Tryptophan naps to coincide with the appearance of Ford Field's home team. It's a marquee game for once, so you'd think that a tribute to some tough Detroit rock would be in order.

Nope. Instead, the league has presented us with halftime entertainment in the form of the inexplicably popular proto-generic post-grunge band Nickelback. That's right -- these seventh-generation Pearl Jammers are set to whine and squall at halftime of the Lions' game against the Green Bay Packers on Thanksgiving Day, and the city of Detroit is not at all happy about it.

Some Lions fans have taken this to the Internet, and created a petition at change.org, begging the NFL to get the band (which is from Canada, by the way — aren't there some CFL games it could inhabit?) out of the picture.

This game is nationally televised, do we really want the rest of the US to associate Detroit with Nickelback? Detroit is home to so many great musicians and they chose Nickelback?!?!?! Does anyone even like Nickelback? Is this some sort of ploy to get people to leave their seats during halftime to spend money on alcoholic beverages and concessions? This is completely unfair to those of us who purchased tickets to the game. At least the people watching at home can mute their TVs. The Lions ought to think about their fans before choosing such an awful band to play at halftime.

Detroit wants to disinvite Nickelback from its Thanksgiving gameAnd just in case you think this is some sort of Detroit-centric thing, consider that two writers from the Winnipeg Free Press recently begged NHL commissioner Gary Bettman not to put Nickelback on the bill for the "NHL FaceOff" season-opening ceremonies.

As people who love music and love Winnipeg even more, we have a request: Please ensure this does not happen. The return of the NHL to Winnipeg is something we have been dreaming about for 15 years. Please do not sully the celebration with the presence of a band whose existence is antithetical to the very concept of celebration.

Shunned in their own country? You bet your ass. Why foist them instead on the hardworking American public?

Side note: Lions coach Jim Schwartz is one of the more metal-centric NFLers out there, regardless of position or standing. He frequently tweets out his "What I'm listening to on the way to the stadium" choices, and you'll see a lot of Pantera, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and much of the best of 1970s and 1980s arena rock. Schwartz can't be happier about this than the Lions fans are — maybe it's time for the coach to step in and put a stop to this?

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-detroit-lions-replace-nickelback-as-the-halftime-show-for-the-thanksgiving-game
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Empty
PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Quote :
Tebow > Nickleback

lol!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Meh. I couldn't care less. I never watch those shows anyway.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:38 pm

007 wrote:
Meh. I couldn't care less. I never watch those shows anyway.

same thing here.

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:51 pm

if people would put their time & energies into more important things, this world wouldn't be the cesspool that it is.

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:54 pm

mc666 wrote:
if people would put their time & energies into more important things, this world wouldn't be the cesspool that it is.

I totally agree - this is a silly petition. If you dont like em, dont pay attention.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 4:57 pm

exact33 wrote:
mc666 wrote:

I totally agree - this is a silly petition. If you dont like em, dont pay attention.

Yeah, it's not like they got Dave Matthews Band for the halftime show.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
mc666 wrote:

you would love Phil Collins and Dave Matthews for the halftime show!!!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:06 pm

exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Don't forget to add Journey to the bill.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
exact33 wrote:
mc666 wrote:

Don't forget to add Journey to the bill.

thats the super bowl halftime show act!

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Well, Detroit has an incredible musical legacy, I can understand why they would want some "hometown talent" to provide the halftime entertainment.

Plus Nickleback sucks so bad that almost any cover-tune-bar-band would be an improvement.

Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I dont watch that crap either so i could care less.Hate Nickleback.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 6:57 pm

I don't really care who plays the halftime show, though if they invited Ultimatum, I'd care. Very Happy

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 7:11 pm

mc666 wrote:
Exactly.

Let's support the mindless causes, that way we can continue being blissfully stupid.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Exactly.

Let's support the mindless causes, that way we can continue being blissfully stupid.

now yer talkin my language!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't give a crap about football, so this doesn't bother me in any way.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Just be thankful you're not getting Meat Loaf, like we did in Australia for our AFL Grand Final. Off key, off time, off balance, off the planet.

Just awful. And you won't find it on YouTube, becuase it keeps being pulled.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Sutekh wrote:
Just be thankful you're not getting Meat Loaf, like we did in Australia for our AFL Grand Final. Off key, off time, off balance, off the planet.

I am Meat Loaf fan but the last decade or so, live his voice is shot, singing off key or just mumbling the words, its an embarrassment!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 11:27 pm

manny wrote:
Sutekh wrote:

I am Meat Loaf fan but the last decade or so, live his voice is shot, singing off key or just mumbling the words, its an embarrassment!!!!!

I have working knowledge of his hits (most of which I do enjoy!), so was looking forward to it. The rest of the band was fine, but it was a painful experience listening to him.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:19 am

Wow - I really couldn't care less
Back to top Go down
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 10:20 am

We had something similar here in India four years ago. Iron Maiden were to perform their maiden concert in India in Bangalore, and opening for them were winners of a competition for college bands. The catch was that the winning band was one largely influenced by Disturbed and Slipknot. This irked the elitist metal fans all over the country, although I wouldn't be surprised if they came from that one city. They started a petition to get the name of this band removed from the posters and advertisements for the concert- and succeeded. Worse, for the band, they were told not to play too loudly and stick to playing covers. A poor sound system, delay in getting on stage and an excessively hostile crowd reception caused what was a really damp squib, which caused this band to break up shortly afterwards.

Two years later, when Maiden were to return to Bangalore as a part of the Somewhere Back In Time tour, another petition was started, to ensure that only Bhoomi (classic metal) and Kryptos (melodic death metal) open for Iron Maiden, not some silly college outfit. This didn't take off.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:20 pm

I hate Nickleback but c'mon!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 2:58 pm

I signed it just to be an ass!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 7:43 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I signed it just to be an ass!

lol!

The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 3:35 am

I haven't heard much Nickelback since I graduated from high school six years ago. Are they still that popular?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show   A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A petition worth signing, to drop Nickelback from the Thanksgiving Halftime show
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next