Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you explore your metal?

Go down 
+28
CRIMSONMASK
Arjun_M
James B.
scottmitchell74
shamgar75
QuothTheRaven
speed101
mlotek
rawr!
metalhead777
Sutekh
Wargod
thejokeriv
nevermore
Temple of Blood
kmorg
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
wildcard
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
chewie
mc666
manny
exact33
Wayne
Shawn Of Fire
Alex Dee Rokket
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

How do you explore your metal? Empty
PostSubject: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 3:59 am

This may be a peculiar question but how do you broaden your knowledge of metal and the various bands out there - do you put more emphasis on the latest bands that are the buzz of the metal scene (whether on a mainstream or underground level) or do you approach your new discoveries holistically, listening to bands / albums because they are good rather than for the fact that they are new.

I always find myself in this dilemma because whenever I buy albums, more than half of my purchases are of older bands and older albums - I like discovering new bands too but I almost never focus just on the new stuff or new albums. I always feel like I am missing out and I'm now trying to come up with a way of balancing out my purchases between old and new (though it is always more tempting to delve into the past than to go with the latest buzzing band).

I'm curious whether any of you feel the same and how you go about keep up to speed with the many new bands.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:13 am

I like going to B&N and reading some of the Metal magazines (Terrorizer, Decibel, Zero Tolerance) and rooting through the Reviews and "new talent" sections...then I take pics with my phone of reviews & album covers that pique my interest, then I go home and look them up online.

Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 am

I regularly read terrorizer and powerplay magazines and I subscribe to metal hammer.

I don't really spend a lot of time on the net really due to time constraints and a bit of laziness lol. Apart from this site which I've discovered some great bands by reading some of the threads on here.

Metal hammer tends to keep me uptodate on what's happening with the more mainstream bands that I listen to whilst terrorizer and powerplay heavily feature many more obscure bands. Sure they have the bigger bands covered but powerplay in particular has the best album review section in any mag ever. They cover a whole spectrum of stuff from classic rock to black/death metal.

With the above being my info sources when it comes to purchasing albums I do focus heavily on older more established bands however I'm fortunate that I do have a career which affords me a decent amount of disposable income and compared to most other hobbies and interests listening to music can be quite cheap. This means that I will basically buy any album I like the sound of. If its sh1t then it gets filed away, if it's good I'll dip into the bands back catalogue. I've discovered loads of really cool bands just by blind purchasing based on an album review.

I also go to a lot of gigs and will chat to people and buy a lot stuff on recommendations.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:04 am

If you can find it, UK mag Zero Tolerance is really cool...

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:20 am

I read some boards for new bands and existing ones I didnt know about.

Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:36 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I would endorse this as I've read zero tolerance and it is quite good. I like that it's a5 in size and feels like a well made fanzine (for those of us old enough to remember the days of tape trading and fanzines lol).

If I remember correctly it does tend to focus on black and death metal and it's coverage is good, ranging from well known artists to never heard of before bands.

As I said above powerplay really is the best mag I've ever come across for those whose tastes can range across a broad spectrum of genres from classic rock to death metal.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:40 am

I usually discover new bands thru magazines such as Classic Rock, which give you a free CD which each issue, also on this board and when we do Swap CD's, etc.

I mostly buy older bands etc, and very rarely do I buy discs newer bands and I do need to add more newer bands that I enjoy in my collection.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:54 am

i usually just buy whatever is big on MTV & Entertainment Weekly.

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 am

mc666 wrote:

I use Teen Beat for reference
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 9:14 am

mc666 wrote:

But do you buy most of your music from Walmart?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 9:18 am

Pretty much through here, a coupla other websites and more recently, Classic Rock magazine.

I'm not as interested in discovering 'new' bands so much anymore as I am with catching up on older stuff that I might have missed. If something new catches my ear, I might wait a bit longer than I used to in order to let the hype settle down and see if it holds up after time (and to get it cheaper used Razz ). There are a few 2011 releases that I'd like to get, but probably won't till the new year for that reason. I try to cut down on my 'blind purchases' these days. Theres always exceptions to that rule though.

I started totalling up my cd acquitions for this year and only 20 or so out of almost 200 were from this year and even fewer were 'new' bands.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 9:40 am

mc666 wrote:

You most love the new of Mice and Men metalcore CD that all of hep cats at Hot Topic are into!!!
Back to top Go down
wildcard
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:32 am

this board itself has been very helpful to me
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 10:35 am

mc666 wrote:

Laughing very hard

As for me, I just kinda keep my ear to the ground as much as I can and if something sounds like it'd be up my alley I try and make time to check it out. I gave up worrying about being the first guy on the block to hear/own the newest, latest, coolest, tr00-est, Kvlt-est underground steele a long time ago...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 11:05 am

Back when I was in school I would get music through friends to check out. I also bought tons of magazines which I still have a lot of. After high school I kind of dropped getting the magazines and used the internet a lot. Eventually I came across this website called Media Club. They sell Mp3s but for much cheaper than Itunes. You can but whole albums for no more than $2. The quality is really good as well. They have everything broken down into categories like Metal then it will have every sub category like Progressive Metal, Thrash Metal etc. I would spend hours upon hours on that site. It doesn't have every single band but its really close a lot more than Itunes. I haven't really used the site as much as I used to because I have just been so consumed by the bands I already own I really need to catch up and learn to like what I have. Theres thing I haven't even listened to just because I wasn't in the mood yet (stupid). I swear by that site.

Other than that this board helps out a lot as well. Especially when we do the comp swaps, which btw some people never reviewed their cds eh hemmmmm olafsto Razz . Thats another great way to learn new bands. I still have a friend or 2 that I talk to and see all the time and they recommend new bands to check out. Not necessarily the newer metal bands but stuff I never heard of or even thought about. A lot of the newer bands I tend not to like. Actually any of the newer groups I started listening to aren't Metal at all.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 11:13 am

I read about new stuff here, and in magazines (Scream and Sweden Rock Magazine. Sometimes Classic Rock).

When I started to read Scream Magazine, around 1997 or so, I felt so out-of-the-loop, and quickly srtarted to catch up on anything new at the time. Bands like Iced Earth and Gamma Ray where there all along, even though metal was a dirty word during the mid- to late '90's. Then Hammerfal broke, and metal was suddenly cool again. They brought with them a whole slew of newer bands, and I tried to keep up as best I could. But nowadays I've sort of giving up on newer bands, for 2 reasons: 1. Fewer and fewer bands really move me. It's rare that a new band can match most of what is already in my collecton. 2. I've began to move backward in time instead, filling the wholes in my collection, and listening to older stuff I missed back when.

I try to keep up to date with bands I like, but even that is a task these days.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Wayne wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I would endorse this as I've read zero tolerance and it is quite good. I like that it's a5 in size and feels like a well made fanzine (for those of us old enough to remember the days of tape trading and fanzines lol).

If I remember correctly it does tend to focus on black and death metal and it's coverage is good, ranging from well known artists to never heard of before bands.

As I said above powerplay really is the best mag I've ever come across for those whose tastes can range across a broad spectrum of genres from classic rock to death metal.

It does tend to focus on more "extreme" Metal, but it's more wide-ranged than it sounds...from more somber/quiet stuff like Tenhi & Ulver to Metal like Ghost to really nasty sounding/looking Black Metal...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 12:26 pm

1. projects from musicians' whose other work I have enjoyed
2. SNAKEPIT magazine
3. Metal-Archives recommendation central forum
4. friends
5. other bands mentioned in reviews of bands I like
6. bands with a significant buzz on various music forums
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Usually from here or other boards and blogspots I lurk around at. I subscribe to Decibel magazine. Sometimes I'll pick up an issue of Terrorizer. And sometimes some friends will recommend something to me I haven't heard.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:39 pm

nevermore wrote:
Usually from here or other boards and blogspots I lurk around at.

me too. Its a good thing I dont have to pay Toho and Eyesore a finders fee. I take a good look through the playlists - there are some really good tunes goin on here.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 pm

exact33 wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Usually from here or other boards and blogspots I lurk around at.

me too. Its a good thing I dont have to pay Toho and Eyesore a finders fee. I take a good look through the playlists - there are some really good tunes goin on here.

LOL! I do the same thing - look at the playlists and the new additions thread and check out some of the bands that look interesting
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 6:02 pm

I usually get mine from various places but I stay away from the mainstream it's to much the same thing. I do alot of research and explore these boards, mags, ezines, word of mouth.......

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 6:06 pm

As I live in country South Australia, I have minimal access to metal gigs, radio stations, record stores, or even a scene as such -there's almost noone here who enjoys the same music, so options are somewhat non-existent! I get some great recommendations here and on some other sites about bands I enjoy and others in a similar style, and occasionally on youtube. As my tastes in music extend well beyond metal (though it's still my first love!), there's an ever increasing list of albums and artists to check out! in terms of buying and shraing ideas on metal, it's all online for me!
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Youtube
Type in band I like, scroll through related videos

I swear it works. Plus, not like I could find a better way.
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 pm

word of mouth (either from friends, people at shows, or people on message boards), browsing collections (metal-archives, "best of" lists, personal collections, last.fm selections, music blogs, review archives, etc), or some other form of trawling the net. theres a good mixture of old and new in all of that, though ive got a ridiculous amount of ground still to cover.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you explore your metal?   How do you explore your metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you explore your metal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next